• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    i'm trying to build a rifle that will have low recoil so my wife will enjoy shooting it... she may let me build another.
    here's my plan
    anderson mfg stripped upper/lower
    damage industries h6 buffer with magpul stock
    damage or spikes lpk
    i believe I want a 18" barrel with rifle gas
    these are the only 2 I have found reasonable and I'm unsure which is better
    GM-M24 .223 WYLDE 18" - Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co.
    DPMS Mark 12 Barrel AR-15 5.56x45mm NATO Heavy Contour 1 8 Twist 18 SS
    then there is the decision on to free float or not but I'm leaning toward magpul handguard however I like this free float
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/16-MTU006SS
    havent really looked into bolt group yet.

Last edited:

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    definately go with free float, just for accuracy's sake. and i would get the DPMS barrel while you can. they just came available again. had i not blew my monthly gun budget on friday i would have one of those barrels orderd, just to put on the shelf till i assemble all my other parts.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Are you willing to sacrifice recoil for weight? A 18" heavy barrel? Unless she plans shooting with a bi-pod. My first AR had a heavy barrel, and I would not own another, unless it was set up as a designated marksman rifle. Just something to think about.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    When I built my wife's AR, I went with lightweight parts, especially the barrel. This yielded a rifle that she actually likes to carry around and shoot. My AR's are all heavier, so their recoil is less than hers, but an AR does not recoil much anyway, so for her the lighter weight was more important than reduced recoil.

Also, she is small (only 5'3").

thats just my experience... Hope it helps.

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    Are you willing to sacrifice recoil for weight? A 18" heavy barrel? Unless she plans shooting with a bi-pod. My first AR had a heavy barrel, and I would not own another, unless it was set up as a designated marksman rifle. Just something to think about.
    I think I'm leaning toward the green mountain 18" but I can't seem to find many reviews on it but I do read that green mountain makes a lot of other peoples barrels.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Get yourself a good trigger. You'll be glad you did. Free floating a good 1:8 is the right stuff. Sounds fun. I love building new ones. If only money grew on trees...

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Just get a 16" barrel mid length gas system with an H2 buffer. That will still cycle lower powered ammo and recoils like a 10/22, no kidding. And it will still be just as accurate as an 18" barrel for the range of capability for a 5.56. I'm not sure by your post what real purpose the rifle will have. By the barrels you've listed I wouldn't be building some precision rig

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    my wife has a very bad back and I'm trying to make recoil as light as possible while keeping it from being a tank. from what I've read the rifle gas block and buffer do this best. but I'm a newbie at this looking for more experienced feedback

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I much prefer a midlength to a carbine length gas system. Cycles smoother, and recoil is a touch lighter. A good muzzle break or comp will also help control recoil.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Also, if you want to look at barrels, US Defense Solutions in Greenwood and a really nice selection of barrels in stock right now (and they are a site supporter). Those guys are experts in AR building, so a conversation with them would probably be worth the drive from Columbus to Greenwood.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    i'm trying to build a rifle that will have low recoil so my wife will enjoy shooting it...

light weight buffer, light weight carrier (eg JP), adjustable gas.

The only reason to use heavy guts is to slow the cycle rate down. adjust it with gas instead, and w/ the light guts there's less inertia to stop (in both directions).

a good brake will help get rid of recoil also, but at the expense of a bunch of noise. My wife is really more sensitive to the sound pressure than recoil so the brakes actually make it worse for her. (So I got a silencer, and w/ the gas dialed in for the silencer, my latest AR is SO smooth and easy to shoot, even w/ short barrel, it seems like a toy).

-rvb

rjh78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The lowest recoil AR would be a 22LR! If you build a lightweight AR then drop in 22LR bolt carrier conversion, you can plink away, and train, for cents with no recoil. It's a lot of fun.

Top Bottom