• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I think so. My SBR project started with a Spike's stripped lower, and now it has all Spike's guts too.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/121565-my_ar_sbr_build-in-progress.html

Nice write up! My direction is nearly identical to yours, and I too might use all Spikes or mostly Spikes parts. I want a good BCG for sure so I will study the Spikes BCG some.

After I bought my Colt, I ended up taking off the stock, then the hand rail, then the grip, and I figured I would save some small amount of money not buying some parts twice as you do with an off the shelf purchase.

EDIT, I just placed an order*** eta 4-5 weeks, or so the site says.

Last edited:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    erice,, nice write up, in the long run I will spend a little more than the stock m4 from Spikes,, I think a quad rail, Flat Dark Earth magpul stock, grip and rail covers are on my sons wish list and then he wants to go with a scope instead of a red dot

I have built & designed full automation machinery and worked as a tool and die guy running Bridgeport mill, lathes, surface grinders, heli-arc etc, I am in sales now so I am a little excited to see how these puppies go together and how well or easy they are designed.

Once the lower arrives I'll assemble the LPK and pick up a buffer tube kit

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    he wants to go with a scope instead of a red dot

If he's looking at running a more traditional scope, consider going with a low-profile gas block and extended rail that covers it. Or, if you start with an upper that already has a fixed front sight base, you can simply cut it down in lieu of a low-pro gas block. Then you add flip-up irons to the front and back, so they can flip down out of the way of the scope.

While the fixed front sight post of a traditional M4 will disappear on higher powers, this is a nice clean way of building.

I might also suggest going with a mid-length upper for the softer recoil and enhanced reliability (assuming we're talking about a 16" gun).

AIM was running an excellent deal on a complete Spike's mid-length upper, including a MOE forend. Like I mentioned above, you could always sell off the MOE forend, cut down the FSB, install an extended rail, and pick up some flip-up irons.

Spikes Tactical 16" Mid-Length 5.56/.223 Upper Receiver

Or if the M4 configuration is still more his flavor: Spikes Tactical 16" M4 5.56/.223 Upper Receiver

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Good point on the low profile gas block that I would not have known...

he says he wants a 20" barrel but I do not "think" there is any benefit to a 20" in a 100-200 yard rifle

:yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    he says he wants a 20" barrel but I do not "think" there is any benefit to a 20" in a 100-200 yard rifle

Correct. A 16" gun will keep him legal, let him hit easily out to 200-yards (and farther), and be easier to transport and maneuver off-hand.

You may want to look more into the concept of a "Recce Rifle". Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I on that topic can chime in, but it sounds like it may fit what your son is trying to accomplish.

5142053848_f51026ddc9_b.jpg

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Looks like the goal is .... 14.5" barrel w/perm,, with a rifle length quad rail, LMT, Daniels, Noveske,, maybe RRA,, upper from whichever brand of barrel i buy, i.e. Daniels, Noveske etc...

something similar to this below,, but the jury is out on scope or acog, or red dot etc

newar.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Going to go with 14.5" mid length with a 12" quad rail...

Unfortunately it looks like all the BCM upper in that configuration are listed as "sold out". :xmad:

We have a new (Christmas) Primary Arms M4 that we will use temporarily until we can get firm on if he wants a scope or possibly an acog

That sounds like a plan. I did this with a PA Micro. I eventually ended up with an Aimpoint H1. :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here is a CMMG version. Once you add a micro gas block option, plus polished and extended feedramps, its priced at just under $700 (with BCG). But you'd still need to add a rail ($250-350).

CMMG 14.5 inch Government Profile Upper Mid-Length w/Permanent Phantom flash hider, www.cmmginc.comCMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon

In that case I'd just assume go top-shelf with BCM. Maybe a phone call would get more results than their website.

Top Bottom