• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    I am going to start my first AR build tomorrow. I've assembled all the parts for the lower, my brother has all the tools and some experience. I'm a big believer in learning from others, both successes and failures.

Any advice for me before we get started?

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Sootch00 has a good video on building lowers you can follow. Ake sure you have a spare takedown detent because the front takedown is a pain to install. Other than that have fun and remember, it's addicting! I've build 5 in the last year for either myself or friends and family.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I installed an LPK in my first AR this evening. Just take your time and it will be no problem. Don't get aggravated if a spring flies across the room and it takes 10 minutes to find it!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Assemble the rifle somewhere that you'll be able to find the little springs if they "sproing!" away from you. Lay out a couple white sheets or something. If one of those little springs escape, your rifle build will be put on hold until you can order another 2.95 part from Midway...

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Make sure not to seat the gas block all the way against the lip if you using a free float tube and the barrel has not been drilled for pins, it will block part of the gas hole. Leave about 1\16" gap roughly.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Just take your time and it will be okay. If you have a roll pin starter punch it makes it a lot easier. The only pin that is tough in my opinion is the one for the bolt release. It tends to like to go in from the front of the lower as it's more of a straight shot. Also make sure your Fire Control Group springs are in the right way. I've see a lot of guns not work properly because they were in backwards and didn't supply enough force to the hammer.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Managed to get my lower assembled tonight. Everything went pretty smoothly. No nicks or scratches to speak of, which is a pretty big accomplishment for me.

Only took three tries to get the front pivot pin installed. I was actually glad to get popped in the cheek by that detent, my ugly mug kept it from flying across the room! All in all, it was pretty uneventful.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Spikes lower, Palmetto State lpk, Magpul foliage green trigger guard and grip. I'm hoping to keep it as light weight as possible. Maybe I'll post a pic when my Magpul STR stock gets installed.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Spikes lower, Palmetto State lpk, Magpul foliage green trigger guard and grip. I'm hoping to keep it as light weight as possible. Maybe I'll post a pic when my Magpul STR stock gets installed.
    "Spider" lower or a different flavor? My next will be a Spikes "Punisher" lower (unless Fenway gets the ball rolling on INGO lowers!)

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Spider... I would have gone with the Punisher, but the lower was a Christmas gift, so I didn't get to choose. I should tell you my older brother is a pretty good dude, surprising me with the lower and all.

Last edited:

Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    A word of advice is double check your hammer spring. I had a buddy put his in backwards and it was a pain to figure out. After about an hour we figured it out. If you use youtube, find a good video from someone that seems reputable.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Spider... I would have gone with the Punisher, but the lower was a Christmas gift, so I didn't get to choose. I should tell you my older brother is a pretty good dude, surprising me with the lower and all.
    :yesway:
    Let us know when you are ready to start on the upper.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    A word of advice is double check your hammer spring. I had a buddy put his in backwards and it was a pain to figure out. After about an hour we figured it out. If you use youtube, find a good video from someone that seems reputable.
    Good post by a new guy. It's rare.

Top Bottom