First AR15- Ruger AR556 vs Ruger SR556, your thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rooze1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 26, 2014
    NWI
    I am looking into purchasing my first AR15. I have my eye on a Ruger AR556 or a Ruger SR556. My other Ruger firearms are my favorites and their customer service has made me a customer for life. The AR will just be for plinking/home defense. At this point I can find the SR556 for $799, I'm guessing for the SR556e on CDNN.com. I found the AR556 at the local Rural King for $650.

Has anyone shot both? How easy is it to add furniture to each? Would you all go with the piston system for $150 more dollars?

Most of what I know about AR's has come from reading INGO threads, so I would appreciate any input/advice you all can provide. Thank you.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My SR556 is a great rifle, though a bit heavy on the front end. It's rugged, and eats EVERY type of ammo I could find, even the crappy stuff. Cleaning sessions are a breeze, as it runs pretty cleanly all day long. The AR556 is just a clone of every other standard design AR, so it should be comparable to anything in it's price range or lower.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    My SR556 is a great rifle, though a bit heavy on the front end. It's rugged, and eats EVERY type of ammo I could find, even the crappy stuff. Cleaning sessions are a breeze, as it runs pretty cleanly all day long. The AR556 is just a clone of every other standard design AR, so it should be comparable to anything in it's price range or lower.

this is exactly right. the only 2 faults with the SR556 is weight up front, and non-universal compatibility (their piston system is their own, not easily replaced locally). I already have a gas gun, so I would love to get a piston gun just to have both.
    This is mostly a piston vs D.I. gas debate --- and there's no clear winner for most people.

If the furniture/accessories are nicer on one than the other, that might sway me. Also, neither of the barrels is free floated, correct? (again, might sway me)
    I also love Ruger, so keep us posted!

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Piston-ran ARs offer nothing better than DI(direct impingement) ARs unless you are running it full auto/suppressed. This has been debated thousands of times. Anybody who argues it clearly hasn't done their homework. Piston guns have closed the gap on DI in terms of accuracy, but DI still wins in terms of this.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Piston-ran ARs offer nothing better than DI(direct impingement) ARs unless you are running it full auto/suppressed. This has been debated thousands of times. Anybody who argues it clearly hasn't done their homework. Piston guns have closed the gap on DI in terms of accuracy, but DI still wins in terms of this.
    The SR556 is the pistom run action while this is an AR556 and runs like every other AR does, direct impingement.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I personally would go with the piston. I like to keep the mess and heat away from the bolt and locking lugs if possible. I also run a suppressor quite a bit, which makes a hell of a mess in an impingement rifle. Nothing wrong with either though, this one comes mostly down to personal taste.

Another advantage a piston has over a gas tube is if the firearm is being used in water, it's more likely to work and not damage the operating system. This obviously doesn't apply to 99.9999999% of civilian shooters, but part of the reason why the HK 416 is so heavily favored in the SF community.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I guess I haven't done my homework because I think a gun that craps in its own mouth is inherently flawed.

In any case I have a Ruger SR556 and that's all the AR I want.
    I won't tell you not to buy a DI gun either. Do as you please... it's yours after all. :)

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Well, I guess I haven't done my homework because I think a gun that craps in its own mouth is inherently flawed.

In any case I have a Ruger SR556 and that's all the AR I want.
    I won't tell you not to buy a DI gun either. Do as you please... it's yours after all. :)
    Not to threadjack, but I'd like to hear what kind of problems you've had with DI ARs.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have DI ARs and 2 pistons. I love that DI run dirty and love that they just keep trucking along while people say you have to baby them to work.

That being said, I love my piston guns too, the high cycle rate, the smoothness, and that they just run like raped apes.

For the price of the SR556, I'd personally look into the POF Puritan, I don't think I could get rid of my P415 or P308, plus their drop in triggers rock.

Get the one you'd like more, they'll both work

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Get the one you'd like more, they'll both work
    Yes, do this as it is true. :yesway:

As dor the trouble I have had with DI, they are filthy and I hate to clean them. They seem to work for the armed forces though. I am not a person who says they need babying or anything like it. I fine a piston gun is easier to clean without special tools or scrapers etc. I like easy.

Rooze1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 26, 2014
    NWI
    I wasn't trying to start a DI vs Piston debate. I just wondered if anyone has shot both, which one runs smooth (I'm guessing both). Has anyone had issues with adding furniture or rails to these?

As for the SR556, did they work out carrier tilt?

Thanks

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    For the price of the SR556, I'd personally look into the POF Puritan

Those two aren't that close in price anymore. The SR556-E is going for under a thousand dollars pretty regularly while the puritan is still ~$1500. Maybe $1300 on the cheapest sales.

If you look at piston guns you might look at Adam's arms too.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've only shot the AR556, and it felt like the usual DI carbine length gas system AR. Never had the chance to shoot the SR but being a piston, I'd imagine a high cycle rate smoothness

I've only heard of one real issue with the AR556 and that was the plastic delta ring breaking one one (INGO member) but Ruger sent him a replacement. Usual parts and accessories should fit just like any other AR. With the SR556, with their piston system, you're stuck with what forearm is on it. But, one model ships with a quad rail and the E model has a forearm where you can put rail sections on as you like.

As for carrier tilt, it's something you rarely hear about in piston ARs anymore. With the time the SR has been out I'm sure Ruger has fixed any issue regarding tilt

Those two aren't that close in price anymore. The SR556-E is going for under a thousand dollars pretty regularly while the puritan is still ~$1500. Maybe $1300 on the cheapest sales.

If the E is going under a $1000 (or any SR series) the person selling them is probably loosing money and just looking to get cash flow

That being said, Ruger isn't showing the E model on their site anymore. Wonder if they dropped that model?

Last edited:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I've only shot the AR556, and it felt like the usual DI carbine length gas system AR. Never had the chance to shoot the SR but being a piston, I'd imagine a high cycle rate smoothness

I've only heard of one real issue with the AR556 and that was the plastic delta ring breaking one one (INGO member) but Ruger sent him a replacement. Usual parts and accessories should fit just like any other AR. With the SR556, with their piston system, you're stuck with what forearm is on it. But, one model ships with a quad rail and the E model has a forearm where you can put rail sections on as you like.

As for carrier tilt, it's something you rarely hear about in piston ARs anymore. With the time the SR has been out I'm sure Ruger has fixed any issue regarding tilt

If the E is going under a $1000 (or any SR series) the person selling them is probably loosing money and just looking to get cash flow

That being said, Ruger isn't showing the E model on their site anymore. Wonder if they dropped that model?

Didn't know Ruger dropped the SR556E till I saw your post. Yes, I have the E model. Need to go to the LGS and see what's up with this. The Ruger site said the E model has been out since April 2011.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom