• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I think you'll be very happy with either of those choices listed and either of them will serve you well. Just remember the first one is just the start of "BRD" (Black rifle disease) ;)

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Late to the party, but the Ruger didn't get much love. I picked mine up for $580 and couldn't be happier. It goes bang when I pull the tigger... only 100 rounds through it, but not one hiccup. I'd trust my life with it, but it's primarily for fun and a daggum coyote.

Obm12ctsv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2016
    Ham. Co.
    I've got a M&P 15 Sport. It's a great, basic rifle and fun to shoot. Basically it served as a learning rifle for me and I've since added a Daniel Defense that I'm still putting goodies on.

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    FYI - Point Blank just dropped their price $50 on the M&P Sport II making it only $599. Seems like a really good deal to me, I may have to go pick one up as my first AR. Been looking for a long time and have shot my friends', but just haven't taken the leap to buying my own yet. A good quality one for just under $600 sounds like a good start for me.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    For $503, I'd rather have the Aero Precision furniture-less AR from Brownells. Throw on the stock/grip/handguard of your choice, and you'll be miles ahead of the S&W for the same price. The Aero will have a good Nitrided barrel (same as Ballistic Advantage.....these are probably the best budget barrels out there), mil-spec BCG (with C-158 HPT/MPI bolt), and a mil-spec 7075 buffer tube. It's a hell of a lot better rifle than the S&W.

There's a ton of better options than the S&W.

FYI - Point Blank just dropped their price $50 on the M&P Sport II making it only $599. Seems like a really good deal to me, I may have to go pick one up as my first AR. Been looking for a long time and have shot my friends', but just haven't taken the leap to buying my own yet. A good quality one for just under $600 sounds like a good start for me.

Last edited:

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    For $503, I'd rather have the Aero Precision furniture-less AR from Brownells. Throw on the stock/grip/handguard of your choice, and you'll be miles ahead of the S&W for the same price. The Aero will have a good Nitrided barrel (same as Ballistic Advantage.....these are probably the best budget barrels out there), mil-spec BCG (with C-158 HPT/MPI bolt), and a mil-spec 7075 buffer tube. It's a hell of a lot better rifle than the S&W.

There's a ton of better options than the S&W.

Maybe I need to think it through some more. I'm a total NOOB when it comes to rifles. I've shot several, and I know I want one, but I obviously have some learning to do. Guess this is one area that I won't be able to impulse buy on a whim. Thanks for the input! You probably just saved me $600 on something I may end up regretting in the long run.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'd recommend lurking the m4carbine.net site. Read and learn as much as you can before jumping in. There's just so many little things to take into account with AR's.

If you're looking for a budget option, I don't think you can go wrong with that Aero Precision furniture-less option.

Bump your budget up to ~$800-900, and you get into seriously war ready rifles.

Maybe I need to think it through some more. I'm a total NOOB when it comes to rifles. I've shot several, and I know I want one, but I obviously have some learning to do. Guess this is one area that I won't be able to impulse buy on a whim. Thanks for the input! You probably just saved me $600 on something I may end up regretting in the long run.

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    I'd recommend lurking the m4carbine.net site. Read and learn as much as you can before jumping in. There's just so many little things to take into account with AR's.

If you're looking for a budget option, I don't think you can go wrong with that Aero Precision furniture-less option.

Bump your budget up to ~$800-900, and you get into seriously war ready rifles.

Cool, I'll check that out! $800-900 is no problem at all, and I'd even be willing to go up to $1200-$1500 for the right rifle. $600 would be a total impulse buy just because I'm really wanting one and $600 is about the max amount that I can do on a whim without running it by my wife first :laugh:. I really appreciate the input. I'll check that site out this afternoon. Thanks!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you can swing that budget, they'll tell you:
    Larue, LMT, BCM, DD, Colt, Spikes, or build your own. Then save up a few bucks, upgrade the mil-spec trigger and get either a Geissele, Larue, or CMC trigger. You won't ever NEED (you'll want...) another AR or to upgrade it. Buy once, cry once. But don't just take my word for it, do your research. The extra few bucks spent up front will be worth it if you actually use your rifle.

As always, don't forget quality optics/sights.

Cool, I'll check that out! $800-900 is no problem at all, and I'd even be willing to go up to $1200-$1500 for the right rifle. $600 would be a total impulse buy just because I'm really wanting one and $600 is about the max amount that I can do on a whim without running it by my wife first :laugh:. I really appreciate the input. I'll check that site out this afternoon. Thanks!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Nobody pointed out the different and confusing ruger options.
    They have an expensive, PISTON gun, that is called the SR556 (i believe ). This is the one that has proprietary parts.
    And then they have a less expensive AR556 (i believe that's the name), which is a basic and competent entry level AR. This one is gas (DI) and should have full parts compatability with any mil spec AR parts.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Nobody pointed out the different and confusing ruger options.
    They have an expensive, PISTON gun, that is called the SR556 (i believe ). This is the one that has proprietary parts.
    And then they have a less expensive AR556 (i believe that's the name), which is a basic and competent entry level AR. This one is gas (DI) and should have full parts compatability with any mil spec AR parts.

Nothing confusing about it. You explained it quite well. S&W also has or had a piston gun and they have multiple AR models. For simplicity sake both Ruger and Smith is competing in the entry level AR market. Both the AR556 and M&P Sport are fine rifles for $600. Just add a Busnell TRS-25, a simple sling and magazines. For most people this will work just fine.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Nothing confusing about it. You explained it quite well. S&W also has or had a piston gun and they have multiple AR models. For simplicity sake both Ruger and Smith is competing in the entry level AR market. Both the AR556 and M&P Sport are fine rifles for $600. Just add a Busnell TRS-25, a simple sling and magazines. For most people this will work just fine.

I guess I was implying that some people (I'd say "many" people that I talk to about ARs) don't realize that Ruger offers both the piston and the gas gun. You're right - there's nothing very confusing about it. I think they should change their naming strategies AR556 vs SR556

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    I guess I was implying that some people (I'd say "many" people that I talk to about ARs) don't realize that Ruger offers both the piston and the gas gun. You're right - there's nothing very confusing about it. I think they should change their naming strategies AR556 vs SR556

Thanks for the info. From my reading I would say you're right. I was under that impression also. I updated my original post in an effort to not confuse anyone. It looks like the only proprietary part is the hand guard retainer ring, but still lists it as being compatible.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Yeah I can see that. People new to guns would get that confused. But my guess are those same people will see a Ruger AR for $600 and a Ruger AR for $1200 will buy the $600 model. I might be wrong. But $600 black rifles are pretty much the market right now. Kind of like $400-$500 polymer pistols.

Tooms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Johnson County
    I ended up ordering:

PSA complete upper 1:7 Stainless / mid-length gas
    PSA Complete lower w/ Magpul
    PSA Premium BCG
    Bravo Company charging handle
    Primary Arms Micro Red Dot w/ UTG Riser

Seemed to get more for my money than getting the S&W complete rifle.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I ended up ordering:

PSA complete upper 1:7 Stainless / mid-length gas
    PSA Complete lower w/ Magpul
    PSA Premium BCG
    Bravo Company charging handle
    Primary Arms Micro Red Dot w/ UTG Riser

Seemed to get more for my money than getting the S&W complete rifle.

ok 1/7 is the twist rate for 62 grain and up bullets, 1/9 s for 55 grain bullets, you can shoot either bullet in either twist, but you'll get tighter groups with 62 and up grain bullets, nbd, jus look for heavier bullets

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    ok 1/7 is the twist rate for 62 grain and up bullets, 1/9 s for 55 grain bullets, you can shoot either bullet in either twist, but you'll get tighter groups with 62 and up grain bullets, nbd, jus look for heavier bullets

For some reason, I have 16" 1/9 and a 12.5" 1/7, latter has more tighter groups of 5 fast rounds on a rest. All using 55gr tula/wolf.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    But...but.. you can't go to battle with it.

Top Bottom