• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • enginewithyou

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    ok ladies and gentleman, I'm looking for a good, reliable AR that will hold up over the years. This rifle would be for a SHTF scenario, and for general plinking. I am by no means an expert in firearms, but hey, you have to start somewhere right? Price is also an issue, but I do realize that you generally get what you pay for, and I'd prefer not to get something that I'll want to replace in 6 months. I've decided on the AR mainly because of ammo weight (5.56) and because I HATE the safety on AK's. The ability to upgrade is a plus as well. I don't want to start a debate thread on AK's vs AR's. I just want some help in choosing one that is quality, without paying an arm and a leg for it.
    Here's the requirements:
    Chambered for NATO 5.56
    Iron sights (maybe optics later, but as I said, $ is a constraint)
    Ability to shoot cheap ammo. (i don't know if different manufacturer's rifles are more finicky than others.)
    Ability to mount a 1 point sling. (probably all of them)
    Reliability.
    Price range=Below 1000. (really 800 but I do realize you get what you pay for.)
    I'm just looking for a no frills, reliable gun. I'd be happy to purchased used, but as I'm not very familiar with the technical aspects, I'm worried that I might get a subpar gun that way. Thanks in advance for your help.

PS. I'm not just a punk kid with the black rifle disease, I've been shooting all my life, just never really shopped around, always shot what dad had available, didn't ask any questions about what could be better. Wish I had.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    ok ladies and gentleman, I'm looking for a good, reliable AR that will hold up over the years. This rifle would be for a SHTF scenario, and for general plinking. I am by no means an expert in firearms, but hey, you have to start somewhere right? Price is also an issue, but I do realize that you generally get what you pay for, and I'd prefer not to get something that I'll want to replace in 6 months. I've decided on the AR mainly because of ammo weight (5.56) and because I HATE the safety on AK's. The ability to upgrade is a plus as well. I don't want to start a debate thread on AK's vs AR's. I just want some help in choosing one that is quality, without paying an arm and a leg for it.
    Here's the requirements:

Chambered for NATO 5.56
    Iron sights (maybe optics later, but as I said, $ is a constraint)
    Ability to shoot cheap ammo. (i don't know if different manufacturer's rifles are more finicky than others.)
    Ability to mount a 1 point sling. (probably all of them)
    Reliability.
    Price range=Below 1000. (really 800 but I do realize you get what you pay for.)
    I'm just looking for a no frills, reliable gun. I'd be happy to purchased used, but as I'm not very familiar with the technical aspects, I'm worried that I might get a subpar gun that way. Thanks in advance for your help.

PS. I'm not just a punk kid with the black rifle disease, I've been shooting all my life, just never really shopped around, always shot what dad had available, didn't ask any questions about what could be better. Wish I had.

ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

:yesway:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A bare bones standard Bushmaster will run around the $ 800.00 mark. Bought mine in 04 for $825.74 including tax. Never looked back the full length 20in barrel will give you acuracy out to 300yrds, or more. I still need to get as good as the rifle is. :ar15:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Or, for $599.00 you can get an Olympic Arms GI16, then take all the money you saved and buy ammo and mags.

My Olympic is my goto anything gun. Never had any problems with it and it is very accruate. For the money immpossible to beat.:twocents:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Build one, I built mine with all accessories shown for about $800. Also if you are new to the AR's this will give you a little more understanding on how it operates, how to field strip it, clean it, troubleshoot it, etc. I went to the gun show, got a Del-ton lower from an INGO group buy, RRA upper kit, and everything else needed.
    Picture001.jpg

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    My suggestion would be to build your own lower and buy a assembled upper assembly. It will save you some cash, the videos and step by step instructions are available and it will allow you to put some upgrades on upper assembly without breaking the bank. I bought an upper from Harrison at Innovative Tactical Systems LLC, Made in USA, AR 15 uppers, piston operated tactical upper, 5.56, 6.8spc, custom precision barrels and love it. Research and read alot and make sure you are comfortable with the purchase. If you make it by Roanoke will let you sample my AR but it is 7.62x39. I forgot to add:
    1. Stripped lower $60
    2. Lower parts kit $60
    3. AR complete upper $700
    4. Complete 6 pos stock assem $45
    5. Magpul folding sights (front and rear) $80
    Total: $945
    I did get almost every upgrade available for the upper and was able to buy it a little at a time.

Last edited:

enginewithyou

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I saw an olympic arms AR at the 1500, and was not impressed. It was new, and there seemed to be metal shavings in the reciever, and it just did not seem as well made as the RRA one at another booth. I was thinking about building one, too... must do more research on spike's tactical.
    What's the real advantage of the mid length? and does that hinder the ability of replacement parts?

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    for around $750 to $800 out the door you can buy a NEW Smith & Wesson M&P15. I own several AR's and I must say the off the shelf quality, finish & reliability of the M&P15 cannot be beat for the price. But the spikes is great too. I cant believe one is that low!!

If you have a little bit of patience and know someone close with the tools or you plan on building more (buy the tools) and build your own. It is easy and you can build the same $800 AR for around $550.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Or, for $10 more, you can go mid-length gas system.
    Excellent weapon! I have the ST15 but its not the LE. I also had them upgrade the trigger to their battle trigger set up and I havent regretted it yet! The use the same forgings as Noveske and a few others from what the armorer told us. Mine has never had a FTF or FTE in over 2000 rounds! They also add alot of things standard that other companies charge extra for! All in all a good rifle that will last at a good pricepoint! Just look at the specs they give on that rifle and compare it to others. Spikes weapons are GTG!:ingo:

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I saw an olympic arms AR at the 1500, and was not impressed. It was new, and there seemed to be metal shavings in the reciever, and it just did not seem as well made as the RRA one at another booth. I was thinking about building one, too... must do more research on spike's tactical.
    What's the real advantage of the mid length? and does that hinder the ability of replacement parts?

The midlength is theoretically more reliable. You also get a longer handguard to hold/mount stuff on. Availability of replacement parts is very good for midlengths.

If you're thinking of building one, it's a great way to get exactly what you want in an AR, but be aware that it may not hold its value as well as a factory gun. This is really only an issue if you (like me) tend to move guns in and out of your collection on a regular basis. :)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I would kick in that DPMS would be an option as well in your price range (I own two), but the price point on the Spike's LE model is pretty darn hard to beat, and they tend to have a better reputation than the DPMS (though mine have never given me a bit of trouble).

All that said, if I wanted a third, I would probably buy the Spike's LE model.

Top Bottom