• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerAdels

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Fort Wayne & Bloomington, IN
    I'm strictly a paper killer at this moment, and I love shooting my Savage .22, however I think it's time to check out something with a little more oomph behind it. Ideally, I'd like something that's great for precision target practice, and maybe hunting (should I get into it in the future). My first thoughts were .270, .308, and .30-06... but I could be thinking something totally wrong. Perhaps .223 or .22-250 would be smarter. Budget isn't really an issue, and neither is model (I'll probably go Winchester, Remington, or Savage) but choosing a caliber has left me stumped.

Before anyone says it, I know I should get one of each... just help me choose my first haha! :D Thanks in advance!

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    If it's truly your first highpower I would lean toward 223 for several reasons 1. Ammo is cheaper2. Recoil is less 3. In Indiana you could use it for groundhogs or coyotes 4. If you reload for it you can find free brass laying around at almost any public range.
    Just my 2 cents, and that might be all it's worth:)

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    If it's truly your first highpower I would lean toward 223 for several reasons 1. Ammo is cheaper 2. Recoil is less 3. In Indiana you could use it for groundhogs or coyotes 4. If you reload for it you can find free brass laying around at almost any public range.
    Just my 2 cents, and that might be all it's worth:)

This..

I know you said money was an issue, but a box of 223 is 7.99-8.99 for 20. And a box of 270 or 308 and all the others are around 18.99-20.00 for 20. Youll just save so much money in the long run. Which you could put towards another gun or accessories for your first big gun.

Plus, unless your trying to hit something at 400 yards. 223 and everything else will be pretty same accuracy wise at <100 for sure.

So I say, start with an AR.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    If you reload then I'd vote for a Savage 308. I average about .54 cents per shot with fantastic accuracy with my hand loads.

If you don't reload then I'd vote for either 22-250 or .223

22-250 has a flatter trajectory which makes accuracy easier i've found.

I've definitely found for the utmost in precision, match loads will be required. My hand loads out run the factory match but not enough to the point that I'm disappointed.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    If budget is no real concern AND you plan on primarily target shooting (non competitive) I would just grab a wally world Remington 700 which are available in all the calibers you listed. $420-$460 gets you a synthetic stock, scope rings, scope and factory boresighted.

Im gonna pick up one in 308 here in the next couple months.

The calibers you listed, you wont be hunting(Deer) with here in Indiana. This is prairieland, ya know!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    .223 is cheap, but .308 naturally has slightly better external ballistics, of course.
    Versatility of ammo is something to consider, too.
    Can't go wrong with an AR, can make most anything you want with the platform.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You ever wonder why there are like a thousand different calibers?

It is because there are like a thousand different opinions. And perceived needs.

Barrel life, accuracy, variety of bullets, load experience favors the .308. But there are 999 other choices you can make as well. None of them are wrong, just different.

Buy the most rifle you can afford, chambered in any of the common calibers and you can't go too wrong.

green55

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Marion County
    Get a Mosin-Nagent. Cheap to buy; cheap to operate; fun to shoot. Nice BOOM when fired, too. :D

I absolutely agree on all fronts. They're cheap, they're a blast to shoot and they have a bit of history behind them to boot. And at roughly $0.18 per round, you really can't beat it with many other high-power, centerfire rifles.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would go .223 or .308 for my first as they are the most common ones used. So ammo is common. They would be easy to resell. Plenty of rifles to choose from. If you are thinking of hunting in other states then the .308 will likely handle most gameh you would go for.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If I were you, I'd try to meet up with someone that has several rifles that would be willing to let you take a few shots. If you're planning on sticking with something pretty common, you'll be fine with .308win or 5.56/.223. There are plenty of very good rifles for either caliber.

As for those saying to get a Mosin Nagant, I haven't gotten one yet but will simply because they're really cheap. I will, however, still prefer my Mausers. And please, stop saying the Mosins have some stout recoil, my 7 year old nephew could handle the recoil with no problem.

Top Bottom