• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Well as the title says, I successfully harvested my first whitetail tonight with a bow. 20 minutes after being in my stand, 3 deer walk in at 40 yards... one breaks off and came to 35yds facing straight at me. I drew back... waiting for him to turn... and he didnt... lol... getting tired of holding the arrow back on my old bow... i relaxed with it and waited. He walked into 25yds and turned almost perfectly broadside. When he put his head down, i let it fly. 100gr Muzzy right through the front shoulder, both lungs, and tore out the top of his heart. He ran 40 yds straight into a tree, fell down, ran straight back to me 10 yards, laid down and didnt flinch. It all happened so fast I couldn't believe it. All in all, i was just hoping for a quick clean kill. That's what i got. So i walked back 30 yards to examine my doe... and it's funny... that lil female deer had a penis and lil knots on her head... /sigh... so I wasn't pleased about taking a young buck, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference at that range.. Still classifies as a doe. Other than it being a button buck and not a doe... I couldnt be happier. He's skinned out and waiting for me to cut him up in the morning. Good clean death, 0 tracking... meat for the freezer. Oh yeah, and it was my first bow kill lol. I've been shooting my bow for 3 seasons now. Up till now I wouldnt take a shot I wasn't 100% satisfied with. Well I was 100% satisfied on tonight's kill. Great night... you'd think I shot a P&Y buck tonight with how happy I am. I been shooting my bow a LOT, and when it came time to let the arrow fly there wasnt a hesitation. I knew exactly where I was gonna put it. (although I did shoot 1" forward of where I was aiming lol so I guess I need to keep practicing) It worked out well.

Oh and if I get the buck that I know is out there... I'll have some pictures to post. Its a biggun.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my excitement. Had a great hunt tonight, hopefully there will be more to follow this year!

dcary7

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Great job! For a first deer with a bow, I don't care if it still has milk on it's lips and spoots on its back. Now that your first is out of the way, hold out for the bigger ones. And before anyone else says it: Pics or it didn't happen! LOL

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    lol I put the pic in my profile under "First Bow Kill". I cant figure out how to post it on the thread.

Yeah I wouldnt have shot it if I saw it was a button buck, but whats done is done. It'll eat the same and it was a clean kill. There is a biggun I've been holding out for out here. If I get him... oh my...

And thank you for the responses!

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Every Deer taken is a good one. I've taken more than I remember, and it's always for meat. I have multiple mounts on the wall, but I still shoot does or button bucks for meat. There is nothing better than the moment when you first see or hear the deer walking up, and the adrenaline rushes, while you site it in. Congrats on your first Bow Kill!

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Thanks everyone! I am very proud. I've shot my bow a lot to be ready for it, and I am glad I did all the preparation! I'm processing it myself after my hunt in the morning. Its skinned and hung up and waiting! You're absolutely right about the "rush" when they walk in. Even though its not a big buck, my adrenaline was going!

I'm gonna be in a good mood all day tomorrow!

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    My son, 16, is going out this weekend with his bow. It's his second year, did not even get a shot off last year. I would love to post a picture of his first deer on here come Monday!

Here's mine from last year, shotgun:

IMAG0216.jpg

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Congratulations on your first bow harvest. Mine was kinda accidental. I was getting dressed to go cut firewood that morning, and a average sized doe wandered into the back yard. I changed gears, and decided that if I could get a window open without spooking it, I would take the shot. It didnt, I did, and she tasted great with a few vegies in the crock pot later that week.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    By the way, here's how to post a picture:

first go to www.Photobucket.com and set up a free account. Next click the upload button and select a picture from your computer. Once that picture is uploaded, hold your mouse over the picture, and you should see some options just below it that are "Email", "Direct Link", "Html Code" & "Img Code". Just click on the wods "Direct Link", and it will copy the code to your computer memory:

pbCapture.jpg

Next, click on the "Insert Image" icon on the reply section of this site, a window will pop up, right click inside the box, and click "paste", and you're done:

pbCapture2.jpg

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    My first bow kill turned out to be a button buck as well. Came through some heavy brush at 20 yards and I shot as soon as a shot was presented. Oh well, he ate the same as a she. Congrats on your first bow kill!

Top Bottom