First Deer Meat Picked Up From Butcher... What do you normally get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Smoking the fronts whole is a little known secret it seems. You get ALL the meat from it, and you save time by not having to debone it. Everyone I tell about it or make eat it, swears they will never do a front quarter any other way.

Exactly. Not only is it tasty but you get to use all of the meat without the work of removing all the tendons and silver skin. 2 seasons ago we used one of these ham curing kits for a whole shoulder and it came out wonderful as well. Backwoods Ham Kit - Brown Sugar | LEM Products

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Grind the whole thing minus the backstraps. Cut them into steaks.

This is what we do. Also tried whole back strap but was way to weird to cook.( did well like a beef tenderloin but was nervous the whole time). We use the burger for jerky, meat balls 1/3 sausage 1/3 deer burger 1/3 hamburger) chili. Heck I even fry up a bit as a special treat for the dog once in a while. (Normally the couple of burger packages that get misplaced in the freezer for a couple years. ).

The main thing with getting it processed I have found is they don’t trim out the burger well. I showed a package to my new processor from my old processor and said I do not want this to happen. He said it would not. It did not. I will not name the old processor here but it was a well reguarded place in east central Indiana that underwent a name change in the past few years. I no longer recommend them after using the service they provided since tha late 1970’s.

OutdoorsGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2017
    Greenwood
    If I do it myself I keep it simple to steaks, roast, stew meat, & tenderloins. Recently I tried a processor a local gun shop recommended and ordered all previously listed plus sausage & burger meat. I'm not fond of deer burger but it does okay as spaghetti meatballs, in chili, or to give away.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Normally I take my first deer early bow season and get all the roasts, steaks and tenders, then have everything else ground up and have 1/4 of the weight turned into sausage 1/2 jalapeño and 1/2 traditional.... Well this year I got there and they had turned all my ground meat into sausage... MOST EXPENSIVE DEER I HAVE EVER GOT!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Check out today's episode of Binging with Babish.

Definitely a good one for exotic meat lovers.

[video=youtube;Mf4wwXM2o_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf4wwXM2o_M[/video]

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Some uncles bought a cubing machine a few years ago...we don't make burger out of any game meat any more. We cut the loins, roast, and maybe some round steaks if we don't use the round for a roast....any piece of meat the size of your thumb goes in to the cuber. Cubed deer meat is awesome.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Check out today's episode of Binging with Babish.

Definitely a good one for exotic meat lovers.

[video=youtube;Mf4wwXM2o_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf4wwXM2o_M[/video]

His videos are entertaining. I can’t imagine spending over $500 bucks and all that prep time just to grind and fry it all up and make this inedible.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    His videos are entertaining. I can’t imagine spending over $500 bucks and all that prep time just to grind and fry it all up and make this inedible.

He makes a lot of money on YouTube ad revenue and Patreon. (He's currently making $11,600 per month on Patreon alone)

So that makes it a bit easier to splurge on an expensive video now and again.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    We process our own. The Boss has a couple of nephews that have families that all hunt so between them there's several deer that need processing. One of them built a cold room that will hold 10 deer to age them. Usually then one of the weekends around Christmas we all get together and get to cutting. I prefer to cut my tenderloins and backstraps into Bambi Nuggets, a couple packages of sirloins and round steaks then of the rest, about half salami and summer sausage and half ground. I'd make more into steaks and roasts but The Boss doesn't really care for venison unless its cooked into something like chili, spaghetti, or tacos. Oh, and the liver. It gets sliced the evening of the kill and made into liver and onions. :drool:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We process our own. The Boss has a couple of nephews that have families that all hunt so between them there's several deer that need processing. One of them built a cold room that will hold 10 deer to age them. Usually then one of the weekends around Christmas we all get together and get to cutting. I prefer to cut my tenderloins and backstraps into Bambi Nuggets, a couple packages of sirloins and round steaks then of the rest, about half salami and summer sausage and half ground. I'd make more into steaks and roasts but The Boss doesn't really care for venison unless its cooked into something like chili, spaghetti, or tacos. Oh, and the liver. It gets sliced the evening of the kill and made into liver and onions. :drool:

I sent my first one to the processor, since it was too warm for me to hang it, but I was able to cut up my second one. I always figure that when I cut up my own deer, it's at least a good reminder for me of the importance of shot placement to avoid losing meat.

I saved the liver from my first deer this year, and fried it up with onions. Do you take the membrane off the liver? I made the slices, then cut the membrane off the slices, and it was messy and tedious.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I sent my first one to the processor, since it was too warm for me to hang it, but I was able to cut up my second one. I always figure that when I cut up my own deer, it's at least a good reminder for me of the importance of shot placement to avoid losing meat.

I saved the liver from my first deer this year, and fried it up with onions. Do you take the membrane off the liver? I made the slices, then cut the membrane off the slices, and it was messy and tedious.

Yep, Easier to do whole but still can be a pain. Good point too, on the shot placement reminder.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Going to piggy-back on this thread.

I was gifted some deer meat early last year... a roast and a round steak. Been in my freezer since then.

A. Can they go bad? Looking to finally get around to cooking them up soon... and

B. How would you typically prepare these cuts?

Thanks

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Going to piggy-back on this thread.

I was gifted some deer meat early last year... a roast and a round steak. Been in my freezer since then.

A. Can they go bad? Looking to finally get around to cooking them up soon... and

B. How would you typically prepare these cuts?

Thanks

If the meat is well packaged it can last up to 2 years in the freezer. Over a year and there is a chance it will lose some moisture and flavor but it is perfectly fine to eat.

For roasts you can do boring stuff like dump it in a crockpot with a bunch of sauce or gravy, but my absolute favorite way to do a nice whole muscle rump or top roast is corning it. https://honest-food.net/corned-venison-recipe/

Eat some hot right after you’ve simmered it and then use leftovers for sandwiches, etc. absolutely delicious.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If the meat is well packaged it can last up to 2 years in the freezer. Over a year and there is a chance it will lose some moisture and flavor but it is perfectly fine to eat.

For roasts you can do boring stuff like dump it in a crockpot with a bunch of sauce or gravy, but my absolute favorite way to do a nice whole muscle rump or top roast is corning it. https://honest-food.net/corned-venison-recipe/

Eat some hot right after you’ve simmered it and then use leftovers for sandwiches, etc. absolutely delicious.

Looked like there was a little graying/browning of part of it... but no harm no foul.

Grilled up one of the deer steaks just now. Accidently did it a bit too well-done, but still tasted great. Loved it.

I'll check that recipe out when I get around to messing with the roast

Top Bottom