first edition crkt, wrinkle....carry or collector?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey ingo,
    I don't post in the blade section too much but I have a quandary.

I've got a first edition crkt wrinkle, that is not snap-on branded.

Is it worth carrying or should I leave it for a collector?

Just wondering.
    please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Anything CRKT is a user. Not a collector.

Some may argue the CRKT Hi Jinx is a collector knife. I do not agree.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm no expert... And I half expect to be proven wrong shortly.

BUT - it's "just" a CKRT. Onion design...yes. But just going by what I could find out about the Wrinkle - it just doesn't seem to be anything special; first edition or not.

keep it unused if you wish, but I doubt you'd be able to sell it for much more than you paid for it unless you can find a die-hard CRKT collector who just had to have it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    CRKT. Chinese Rusty Kutting Tools

only issue i ever had with a crkt was a spring wore out in a assisted opener, sent it back and they had stopped making that knife, they gave me credit on a new knife

what are you using your knives for?

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Guess I am just not much of a knife person as I like CEHT stuff. :dunno: Oh well.

only issue i ever had with a crkt was a spring wore out in a assisted opener, sent it back and they had stopped making that knife, they gave me credit on a new knife

what are you using your knives for?

What? I have a couple low end CRKT knives and they are great tools. I use one of their folders around the yard for everything and it's still sharp.

Guess my joke wasn't funny. Oh well. I'm much to conservative to make it in the standup circuit anyway.

My limited experience with CRKT comes from the time I bought a Hissatsu on account that I was a dumb 18yo kid and thought it looked cool. I was extremely disappointed because it came dull like so dull it wouldn't cut softened butter. I also wasn't (still aren't) very good with a wet stone and tried to sharpen it succeeding only in making it worse and ultimately ruined the knife. After that I pretty much took it out into the woods and beat it into trees until the blade broke then I threw it into the woods and left it there.

So really I base it on nothing but being an angry teenager that I don't like CRKT knives today. Pretty dumb reason I know.

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Would more than likely be a user if part of my collection.

They don't make the brown handle anymore right?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My EDC is an M16. Nova512 put a mirror finish edge on it; scary sharp. Stays that way a long time and I use my knife for all kinds of stupid things.

I'm a CRKT fanboy.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    to the op, use the knife, you cant manufacture a collectiable, if you could, the companys would make thousands, thus making it collectiable, but not valueable! ie if everybody knew that a colt walker would sell for a hundred grand today, they would have made thousands, not 100, and then people would have taken care of them, so today you could walk into any gunshop abd buy one for a thousand bucks

another example, all the winchester 94 editions, you know, the "golden spike",the "shootout at the ok corral", the "boothill" the 'grandma broke her hip" editions, all the ones nobody wanted, the few exceptions are the boyscout, and john wayne's they held their value

i have a boyscout 75th anivesary knife, new in box with paperwork, 1 of 20000 (my serial # is about 10500) and right now, after holding onto it for 25 years, is worth about what i paid for it!, but since i was a boyscout, its worth it to me.

use the knife, it looks cool

and crkt makes good knives, shiver, i hate to say it, but give them a chance, i bought a spyderco endura(a long time ago) and i abused it, broke the tip, dulled it beyond butter knife dull, broke off the pocket clip(old one plastic clip molded into the handle) took me 20 years to buy another spyderco knife, i bought 4 since then!, as much as i hated that spyderco, i realized it wasent the knife, it was the hand that used it!

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Ok, it's going into rotation. Thanks ingo.

This one is the brown handle, crkt branded.

It seems to be hollow ground and razor sharp...a lot sharper than my leek was out of the box.

God bless
    -Shred

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I have two CRKT knives, one is my normal edc knife and one I've never carried as I love the way it looks and would hate mess it up. Stupid I know, but I do like how it looks so there it sits in my drawer.

My daily user is a CRKT Hawk DOG knive that is a tank and I have carried it for years now. Still in great shape, wish I had more by those designers. The one I've kept minty new is a CRKT Viele Wasp, G10 and titanium handle. Just a cool design and my only titanium anything in my knives. I should find another one to carry sometimes I guess as I think it would make a great knife for suit pants and dressy carry. I only have the two, but I think I picked good ones anyway.

Edit - I just found a like new Viele Wasp searching google. It is a seven day old ad on Craigslist in San Jose and only $20. If anyone happens to be dropping by San Jose and wants to grab this for me I'd appreciate it lol!

Last edited:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I love me some CRKT I just dont like the Hollow ground blade, on my m16's Razor sharp, i just cant sharpen the darn thing
    :dunno:

20141230_164507_zps8a8dff69.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I had an M16 given to me as a gift several years ago. Was my first "grown up knife" - or so I thought.

Those blasted huge flipper studs just about ruined a few pair of pants before I traded it away.

My wife wasn't happy about that... But, hey, I got some 5.7 to run through a P90 machine gun out of it.

Plus, and in all honesty, she should've consulted with me on at least which type/style I may have liked. (Say I wanted a new gun ... She knew I liked a certain black one at the gun shop. So she went in and bought a black one she thought it was, but turned out to be a HiPoint. Heart in right place, just poor execution)

Top Bottom