• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    So I have decided to buy my first gun. I have shot a few(a 9mm, a .40, and a .45) and did fairly well as far as accuracy, but that was a few years ago. I'm going to be on a fairly limited budget($450 give or take) and also not going to really have the option of "upgrading" anytime in the near future. Not really a fan of the "rounded design" pistols(Ruger, Beretta) so I'm looking more Glock style-ish. Looked at Taurus .40s but from reviews they seemed to be 50/50 on good and bad reviews. Think I have settled on a Springfield XD40, but wondered on opinions of how that would be as a first and only firearm(at least for awhile). Do they generally need the "higher quality"(ie more expensive) ammo or do they seem to take whatever you can feed it with the same reliability. Also any advantage to the grip safety versus the "active" safety? Thanks:rockwoot:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have the XD40sc. I've had it for a couple years. I've had 0 malfunctions. I've ran WalMart Federal "cheapo" ammo and Hronady Critical Defense. I also reload. You can't go wrong with a Springfield. If you would like to try it out, I can meet you at the range and you can run it and see how you like it.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    If you look in the Classifieds here on INGO you can probably find a Glock for $400 and that leaves $50 for ammo/a good holster.
    I don't like the grip safety on the XDs, I have done a few drills of drawing and shooting from different positions quickly and not gotten the grip safety depressed all the way. I prefer just the safety on the trigger, or a thumb safety, but I don't like the grip safety on the XD (on a 1911 it is wider and I feel like the width and the "speed bump" help depress it in a high stress/high speed situation).

:twocents:

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I carry a Springfield XD-9 subcompact. It is my first and only gun, and I love it. I usually shoot Winchester white box and Remington UMC; never had a problem running that kind of ammo. Before I purchased my XD I researched the crap out of it. There were several in-depth reviews and torture tests that really made me feel comfortable with my purchase.

Apparently the original web page with the torture test has been taken down, but the story has been copied here. XD torture test

I really like the grip safety. I've never had an instance where the gun failed to go off because the grip safety wasn't pressed. I never notice it when I'm shooting or consiously think about pressing it down like it's an external safety. I guess that means its successful :dunno: On the other hand, when you reholster, you can move your thumb to the back of the slide. This will adjust your grip enough to activate the grip safety. That way IF your trigger caught on the edge of your holster, and IF it pressed the trigger safety, and IF you pressed down against the holster your weapon still wouldn't go off.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would gift a Springfield XD40 to my favorite child as her first and only firearm. It is totally reliable and plenty accurate. Consider getting several extra mags though and don't forget to get a quality holster.

I don't know how else to express how much I would endorse your choice for a first and only firearm.

BTW, accuracy in a self defense pistol is WAY over emphasized. Assuming that you can hold relatively well, you do not want your shots going into the same spot. The ideal is left nipple, right nipple, center, throat, belly. In no particular order. It ain't scored bullseye shooting.

Last edited:

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Both the Springfield and Glock are fine weapons. My first was a G19. I thought the "compact" size was perfect for a solid grip with a short enough slide length for me to CC.

As far as round size.... I went with the 9mm as it had a higher mag capacity and was cheaper to plink with. Out of the 9, .40 and .45, the 9 is going to be the cheapest to feed.

Both Glock and Springfield can eat junk ammo and still spit rounds down range. Unjacketed ammo will be "supposedly" a bad idea on the stock Glock barrel and steel cased ammo will be tougher on your extractor. If you are on a tight budget you might go broke before you ever get close to an issue. You asked a Glock vs Springfield question wrapped in a caliber question. This thread will still be getting new posts long after we are all dead.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The XDs are great guns. I am a Glock guy myself, G27 EDC and G23 at the house both .40s, but would not hesitate to reccommend an XD to someone if they were looking into them. Would be a fine first handgun. You said you were leaning towards an XD40... Do you know which size frame you are wanting? Full size, compact, or subcompact? I only ask because some people think the .40 in a subcompact frame is a little too snappy for them. Others think the .40 in general is snappy as far as felt recoil. I know you said you do have experience in shooting the .40, I just did not know what size. Just something to consider. I hate seeing people spend their hard earned money on a firearm and not being completely satisfied with it. Just my :twocents: Keep up the good work as far as doing plenty of research before you buy and hopefully you can get a chance to shoot the exact model you are hoping to buy beforehand. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I know you are leaning towards the .40 but you might consider the XD .45 compact. This pistol offer more versatility in that it come with a compact 10 round mag. as well as a service length 13 round mag. This allows you the option of a compact model that is easier to conceal and carry or the full size capability of a service model for home defense or as a "truck gun" The full size mag comes with a grip extension that really works well as the grip feels like a full size. Cost of ammo is a consideration of course as .45 runs a little more than .40 but is easily available at most any store selling ammo. I won't get into the "stopping power"debate but either caliber is going to do the job as long as you do yours.

BTW if you are interested I believe I will be at Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club this Saturday morning and will have the XD, a couple different Glocks, M&P pro and some other "goodies" if you would like to try some out. PM me if you are interested.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do they generally need the "higher quality"(ie more expensive) ammo or do they seem to take whatever you can feed it with the same reliability.

Whatever pistol you purchase in .40S&W you need to watch what is called "bullet set back". This is caused by loading and unloading the weapon which shrinks the cartridge to cause overpressure in the chamber which can contribute to the "Kaboom" effect.

Remember too that everytime you load and unload the (any) weapon can discharge even if your finger is not on the trigger. Get your sand barrel or stack of phone books ready.

Software trumps hardware. Get to school.

Also any advantage to the grip safety versus the "active" safety?

Depends. Remember in guns, as with any human-engineer device, there are tradeoffs. You cannot have something for nothing.

The grip safety makes the gun "safer". Maybe, but if you have flat or thin hands you may have trouble depressing the grip safety and end up pining the safety.

Shoot a bunch of different guns, pick the one you like best. After gun school and experience, your choice will change.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the .40 S&W caliber (or .45acp, for that matter). It's a great round.

However, you mentioned that this is your first gun. That being said, I would lean towards the 9mm. Ammunition can be found cheaper (it sounds like you are on a budget), it recoils less, and it is still plenty capable of "getting the job done."

Just my :twocents:

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Please test several before your final decison, The Glock 36 is great , NEVER had any problems, had it a really long time, lots of rounds thru it, shared it at the range and tons of people like it. The xd is nice too. Check the Sig too it's VERY nice

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Sweet, appreciate all the replies, makes me feel better about what I picked. I expected that a subcompact in .40 would likely have too much recoil, so I was looking at the compact. Also, from what I have shot so far, I think .45 is a little more recoil than I would like, although it may be different with different manufacturers. As far as starting out with a 9mm, I am afraid that I would want to "upgrade" and not be able to, so I'd rather get what I want to start off instead of shooting for a couple months and then it not be as much fun lol. It's not so much that I'm broke and need to go cheap as much as I don't want to have to spend $100 in ammo to accomplish anything at the range every time I go :): At some point I would like a Glock, but I'm not sure with it being a first gun that I feel completely comfortable going with something with nothing but a trigger safety, even though I'm generally not stupid enough to not be careful with something like this :D

Top Bottom