• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Oh, and I have noticed some very good deals in the classifieds on here, but sadly I am far away from having enough posts to buy. Although I did just get my prints taken care of this morning for my LTCH. Did it electronically and they told me 4-7 days:rockwoot:

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    ok most of the advice on here is what others carry(i happen to be a glock owner)but with that said i think an xd is a good choice for you if it was not you would not have listed it by name.most quality pistols can be feed walmart white box for plinking so i dont see an issue there.as far as safties go you know best what safety features your lifestyle calls for ie kids carry spouse etc

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ruger SR series.

They shoot amazingly accurate. They come with fully adjustable rear sights, they are cost effective. I'd recommend the compact 9 or 40 because you get a mag extension to make it close to the full size counterpart.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Got an XD45 in a trade recently. Love it. Wish I would have bought it years ago. Full size, (or so I think) and that makes the recoil very manageable, maybe even better than the PT111 I traded in on it.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So I have decided to buy my first gun. I have shot a few(a 9mm, a .40, and a .45) and did fairly well as far as accuracy, but that was a few years ago. I'm going to be on a fairly limited budget($450 give or take) and also not going to really have the option of "upgrading" anytime in the near future. Not really a fan of the "rounded design" pistols(Ruger, Beretta) so I'm looking more Glock style-ish. Looked at Taurus .40s but from reviews they seemed to be 50/50 on good and bad reviews. Think I have settled on a Springfield XD40, but wondered on opinions of how that would be as a first and only firearm(at least for awhile). Do they generally need the "higher quality"(ie more expensive) ammo or do they seem to take whatever you can feed it with the same reliability. Also any advantage to the grip safety versus the "active" safety? Thanks:rockwoot:

Take a look at the S&W MP. I love mine.

On edit: Try to shoot em all before you buy one. I was set on a Springfield, until I shot it. The trigger was awful. Maybe I just got a bad one, I don't know. I looked at Glocks...but being a lefty, the ergo's were all wrong. And I didn't care for the feel.

Once I picked up the MP, i knew what I wanted.

The MP comes in a standard and a Pro model, the Pro has a much better trigger. That is what I purchased.

Twisterx44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    I'll have to put my vote in for the XD. I have a full size 9mm for my nightstand gun, and a subcompact 9mm for my carry gun, both with night sights.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Any of the modern polymer pistols from a major manufacturer will cover your needs. If it's been awhile since you did any shooting it might be worth a visit to a range to see which you prefer.

I have a couple XD pistols and I prefer them in regards to polymer pistols.

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    i prefer a "compact" not so small that you have a hard time holding it, but not so big that it prints everywhere you go. as far as round size i prefer a .40 just seems like a good average caliber that most anybody can shoot comfortably... both the glocks and the xds are awesome and you can get them used in the price range you have to work with. but all in all pick what best fits your hand, if your not comfortable with it in your hand, chances ar you wont be comfortable shooting it...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    So I have decided to buy my first gun. I have shot a few(a 9mm, a .40, and a .45) and did fairly well as far as accuracy, but that was a few years ago. I'm going to be on a fairly limited budget($450 give or take) and also not going to really have the option of "upgrading" anytime in the near future. Not really a fan of the "rounded design" pistols(Ruger, Beretta) so I'm looking more Glock style-ish. Looked at Taurus .40s but from reviews they seemed to be 50/50 on good and bad reviews. Think I have settled on a Springfield XD40, but wondered on opinions of how that would be as a first and only firearm(at least for awhile). Do they generally need the "higher quality"(ie more expensive) ammo or do they seem to take whatever you can feed it with the same reliability. Also any advantage to the grip safety versus the "active" safety? Thanks:rockwoot:
    My Xd would eat anything I feed it.

gunfreak6989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting any xd they are great guns, however glocks are cheaper to upgrade, more upgradable and have a much better finish. if you might have this gun for a while then u want to go with glocks amazing tenifer finish. it is way better than the xd finish.

Kbouma

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Howe, IN
    I have an XD .45 and absolutely love it. It is accurate and easy to shoot. I have never had an issue with the grip safety. It is a great gun and I am sure the XD .40 is just as good.

Top Bottom