• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There is always a plethora of bad advice when people ask about guns for women. Revolvers and shotguns are terrible choices as they have a complicated manual of arms and are less robust and more prone to user error than modern semiautomatic pistols and rifles. Lightweight revolvers are especially difficult to shoot well. If a person lacks the strength to manipulate the slide on a pistol (usually due to poor technique rather than ability), then they lack the strength to repeatedly pull a heavy, long double action trigger and make accurate hits.

The advice to just let them shoot a bunch of guns and pick the one they like is similarly foolhardy. If a person is not educated in what makes a suitable defensive firearm, then they are incapable of making an educated decision.

I offer the same advice I offer anyone: buy a Glock or M&P in 9mm and seek professional training in its use.

With all due respect, Your "One size fits all Buy one auto and make them learn it from a pro mindset" is equally foolhardy... unless that expert also "prescribes" specific upper body exercises to build those muscles that are lacking in strength to allow them to rack the slide effectively.

And as another member pointed out, wheel guns are incredibly simple. If you pull the trigger and if it doesnt go boom, you pull again! (which is relatively instinctive) Its NOT instinctive to start tap/rack and other malfunction drills.

Yes, you can fire off MANY more rounds from an auto, but in many circumstances the first 2-3 are your most important.

Personally I'd rather have a simple 5-6 rounds "guaranteed" downrange in a couple seconds in a platform that is nearly 100% reliable over 15 rounds that may be prone to jams/malfunctions.

Don't be too hard on Marc. He is in the "simple is always better / only use guns that will work 100 years after the apocalypse" corner.

There are plenty of other autos that will work fine beyond the M&P or Glock. (XD, XDM, Rugers, well made 1911s etc) I'd have to agree with the basic sentiment though. Revolvers are terrible choices for women as normally they're going to using a minor caliber like a .38 special and only have 5-7 shots. She'll be out of ammo by the time she is ready to take down the second home invader....if that. As for malfunctions, they're rare to begin with and easily dealt with.

If she doesn't have the muscle strength to operate the firearm (unlikely unless she's 90 years old and frail as all get out), training will help immensley because any competent instructor will show her how to manipulate the gun effectively. During the course of training she'll use those muscles, and as she practices those muscle will develope quickly.

Unless you're just handing her a gun and not having her practice. At which point I question why you're getting her a gun at all.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I guarantee that pretty much every woman has the strength to rack the slide. They are just playing weak, just like when they ask you to open a jar for them. What do you think single women do when they need a jar open? Hit it with a hammer, LOL? It may take more strength than what a man has to spend, but that just means she needs to work out more.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    Inexperienced shooter? Revolver for sure. No need to worry about anything except squeezing the trigger. Revolvers dont jam and they are very easy to take care of. Loading is simple, firing is simple and cleaning is simple. They also make a TON of noise, every neighbor within 4 square blocks will hear it and come running or call the police. 38spl is a good place to start for a lady, not too big of a round and will do PLENTY of damage. Take her to the range plenty, a basic pistol marksmanship and safety course will help a lot too. With enough practice, she wont need the whole cylinder in the event of a break in.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Can someone answer this question: Why is it that women are generally the most proficient multitaskers on earth, often juggling work, home, primary responsibility for the children, and are also generally manage the family's social life (i.e., are deeply embedded in multiple complex tasks) but are so often dismissed as being too stupid to operate a firearm of greater sophistication than a brick? Or in other words, why is it so commonly accepted that a woman is incapable of operating anything more complex than a revolver?

Honestly! Most people take it for granted that a woman should be able to operate most kitchen appliances and operate sewing machines (rotten, temperamental, complex aberrations that they are) but have such a difficult time with the idea that maybe, just maybe, they can manage a firearm that requires more operator effort than multiple trigger pulls.

RFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    West side Indy
    If she is a new shooter or a female which doesn't shoot much. I'd recommend a revolver. If to be carried an aluminum frame/scadium .38 special, if to have at the house, like in night stand, then a four inch barreled revolver. It will be heavier, less recoil and better for learning shooting skills.

I wouldn't recommend the shotgun for a female not unless she has experience with shooting shotguns (skeet, trap, competitor, etc.) and she has a level of comfort. She obviously could learn, but wouldn't start with it.

+1 on all counts

Top Bottom