• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I like my Ruger SP-101 with a 4.2 inch barrel and adjustable sights a lot. Still easy to carry and I can take it deer hunting. Very accurate, too.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I would second that Sticky, the 4.2 inch is a real treasure for size and handling. Mine is also one of the most accurate handguns I own, maybe only second to the Ruger Blackhawk. It has become my partner when going out to the sticks away from town.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Just looked at an LCR again and now I'm confused. :n00b: Used LCR .357 with a night sight that looked like new. Is $439 a good price?

joliverjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    Whiteland
    My wife had an LCR .357. She shot .38, though. She felt the recoil was a bit much. Not so much for the range, but she felt the recoil would be an issue in a high stress situation. She is now hooked on a Sig P238 .380. Also, the LCR heft was more than she cared for in case she ever carries it in a purse. All that said, I liked the gun. I just had little use for it, so I sold it.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    That's not a bad price on the LCR. I normally shoot 38 spcl's out of my LCR, but I feel the 357 mag version was the better purchase as you never know what your going to find to put in the chamber especially with the ammo supply issues we are still seeing. Let me know if your going to be at the gun show this saturday and I can show you a few things to look at on a revolver if your going to look at used guns.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have to work Saturday afternoon, but I could be there in the morning. Are you talking about the Lake County Fairgrounds show or the Schererville show?

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    The Lake County Fair Grounds one in Crown Point. I'll PM you my info, guessing you won't be able to pm me back yet with your current post count so just post here that you got it then...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Got it just before I crashed for the night. Thanks for the info. You're right; I couldn't reply, even though it looked like it was going to let me until I hit Send. LOL Then I got the old 'post count' message.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Used LCR .357 with a night sight that looked like new. Is $439 a good price?

Yes, that's a good price. I prefer the LCR to the SP101. The cam trigger has a much better feel and I like the sights. The LCR does have one quirk, though. You must allow the trigger to go all the way forward to reset. Most guns reset when they click (which you can feel and hear). There are two "clicks" on an LCR, and they are very close together. If you let it click once, the trigger won't pull and it will feel like the gun is locked. Fixing it is as simple as letting it go all the way forward again, but obviously that could create an issue in a real situation. Make yourself train to let the trigger all the way forward after every shot and not rush it.

Glocksmith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Lafayette
    I love my DAO 2.25 sp 101, it's my EDC.

I carry it appendix IWB and forget about it.

I have never pocket carried the hefty little sucker so I cant comment about that (or purse carry either):)

An LCR, airweight Smith 38, or as mentioned a Shield, a Sig 938......look some more.

+1 on the Airweight Smith. Try the model 638. Shrouded hammer, so no snags on draw from pocket, but you can still fire SA should you desire.
    If you plan on pocket carry you have much better choices, at 25 ounces you will need a good belt, or suspenders.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Listed in handgun section is a vintage Smith Wesson model 30 with a 3" barrel. I think it's a J or I frame in .32 SW Long caliber. It's in really nice condition and would make a perfect ladies carry handgun. Small, light weight and easy to handle.

indycar02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Goshen
    I bought one for my wife but she doesn't like it. Too much kickback. Made the heel of her hand black and blue. She prefers my S&W with a 4"barrel which is a lot easier to shoot and has less kickback.

sonofd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I'm looking for a revolver for home protection and occasional carry. Something big enough to cut down on kick, but small enough for a purse or pocket if necessary. I'm leaning toward the SP101 5720 DAO. Any thoughts for/against, or any other suggestions?

I just wanted to add my 2 cents about the "occasional carry". I feel if you're going to carry, always carry. I think it should be as much a part of your wardrobe as shoes and socks are.
    You shouldn't carry a gun just when it's convenient.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The SP101 is amazingly good shooter. Have shot one at 25yds with 2.5 barrel it's very easy to handle even with very hot 125gr 357 mag loads. If you decide to get one use the 125gr 38sp or 357mag loads. Those help keep recoil down.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    To expand on my above comment, here's my dilemma. I work in Gary and would really like to carry a gun, especially in the car back and forth to Crown Point. However, I am not allowed to carry on site at my workplace. Do I a) carry anyway and risk my job? b) leave the gun in the car and risk my car being stolen or broken into? or c) just don't take it to work.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 13, 2013
    South Side Indy
    I've had my eye on the sp101 for a while now, still plan on getting it, but like stated before for the first gun id go with a semi and for pocket maybe even an lc9 about the same crappy sights as a wheel gun but you could get more rounds off in a hurry. just a thought!!!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm looking for a revolver for home protection and occasional carry. Something big enough to cut down on kick, but small enough for a purse or pocket if necessary. I'm leaning toward the SP101 5720 DAO. Any thoughts for/against, or any other suggestions?

The one gun that has 'survived' just about everything that's happened to me in life is my SP101 in .357mag. I purchased it new in December 1994 (Merry Christmas to me!) and in 2009, when I lost both of my jobs within 5 days of each other, it was one of 3 guns that stayed with me after I sold everything else to pay bills and put food on the table!

The Ruger SP101 is accurate; tough; reliable; easy to shoot; has a myraid of holsters, grips, and front night-sights available for it, etc. I highly recommend everyone have at least one! You won't be sorry if you choose a Ruger SP101!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Except that the policy at my job expressly forbids carrying. Don't know if it would be worth losing my job over.

If you drive to work, you can leave it in your locked car. IC code prohibits being fired for having a weapon in your car in the parking lot, but I'd still just keep my mouth shut about it.

Top Bottom