• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chasinfire

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    NWI
    Going to my first gun show saturday. Looking for bulk ammo for my rock river ar, and any good deals. Would appreciate any suggestions on ammo type and price. Looking for mostly target rounds. Also any suggestions on what to look for as far as deals, and what to stay away from. Thx

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Be careful about buying reloads since you have no idea what is really in them. Unless you want to pull them and verify but still.

If you can get brass cased .223 such as PMC bronze for anywhere around $300 per 1k that is a decent buy. Steel cased should be closer to $200 or maybe a little higher. Try to get them to deal with you and eat the tax, throw in an extra box of ammo or the likes. A lot of the time they'll work with you.

Have fun!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Good luck on your 1st. show..

Have fun at your first show!!

Here's the bad news=You're around a month late..

Since the November elections the price on common ammo is on the up rise.

Ammo like: .223/5.56, 9MM, .38/.357, .45acp.,and the like probably will not be found for a "Deal". Most sellers will demand retail + for their goods.

This is already shown on components such as primers and bullets for these calibers.

Most of the "Seasoned Veterans" to the shooting world have already stocked up on the needed supplies + ammo prior to the last elections.

I'm sure that you have heard the odds of winning the recent Power Ball Lottery, well finding a deal on common/military type of ammo now has similuar odds...Bill.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Have fun at your first show!!

Here's the bad news=You're around a month late..

Since the November elections the price on common ammo is on the up rise.

Ammo like: .223/5.56, 9MM, .38/.357, .45acp.,and the like probably will not be found for a "Deal". Most sellers will demand retail + for their goods.

This is already shown on components such as primers and bullets for these calibers.

Most of the "Seasoned Veterans" to the shooting world have already stocked up on the needed supplies + ammo prior to the last elections.

I'm sure that you have heard the odds of winning the recent Power Ball Lottery, well finding a deal on common/military type of ammo now has similuar odds...Bill.

Prices have been creeping up since before the election. However, Palmetto State Armory is offering free shipping on orders over 50 bucks right now, which helps... Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Make sure you know your prices and products before you go. There are many decent prices at gun shows and a lot of things that you can touch. However most of the prices are higher than you can get anywhere on the internet.
    If you are looking for ammo, good luck! I have been watch ammo prices for several months. .223 is out on most sites. I highly recommend sgammo.com. On Tuesday I bought 1000 rds Prvi Partizan brass .223 55 gr for $329+$16 shipping. It shipped in 2 days. You can add your email to be notified when it comes back in stock. This last time they had 40 cases and it sold out in about 5 hours.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My advice: Stay home. No deals you can't match or better at your LGS. Ammo or weapon, prices are cheaper at the LGS or on Gunbroker. Use the cash you would have spent on gas, parking, and entry fee for a better weapon or more ammo.

I just attended the Fort Wayne Gun Show. I found the cheap "great deal" ammo $2.00 per box of 50 cheaper at Walmart and Meijer just down the road. I was able to get the same price on an MP22 at the Fort's Sniperco ($59 cheaper than at Gander Mountain and $29 cheaper than at Freedom Firearms).

I have gone to the last two shows at the Coliseum and at the old K's Merchandise location. Good folks. Lots of interesting displays. But everything I saw at the shows I could get cheaper at the Fort's LGSs—without the gas for travel, $4 for parking and $6 for entry.

Seriously, skip the show and go talk to the folks at your LGS.

P.S. I am not a shill for an LGS. I am just a grumpy old man who came into the shooting arena late in life. It has taken me a couple years to learn the lay of the land. Still learning, but I know enough to offer the advice written above.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Cant beat Walmart if they have what you are looking for on the shelf. If they do then buy the entire shelf. I have found gun shows to be higher than retail on most items. I dont understand why people flock to them and dump loads of cash. I still go now and then to look around and sometimes will find something someone didnt know they had and get a good buy.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    And Ill say never pass up a show. Why? Cause you just never know when you run into that deal. PMC 223 ammo guy sold 1000rd for 300 flat. I can't find that online but that said the election change the game an now a 1000rd is 400.00 at best.
    It's always great to look around. My suggesting is to do your homework before you leave and know the true price. Cash is king

chasinfire

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    NWI
    I received a single press from my step dad, and am looking into reloading. I dont need to reload a bunch, but figured I would buy bulk rounds, and then reload the brass. I will be looking at some of the equipment at the show also. Heard good things about the guy in Indy, but that is a long drive from my house...Maybe a day trip is in order.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I say hit the show, remember "buyer beware", because it's information overload and the deals are there no doubt but the dealers are there to sell high as high as possible. Do your home work know what you want and how much is it going for currently.

davej48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    TN
    If you don't go to show's, you never know what you can't live without. Keep an open mind and bring lots of cash. My wife say's I have too many pistols but she has more shoes than i have guns.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    My advice: Stay home. No deals you can't match or better at your LGS. Ammo or weapon, prices are cheaper at the LGS or on Gunbroker. Use the cash you would have spent on gas, parking, and entry fee for a better weapon or more ammo.

I just attended the Fort Wayne Gun Show. I found the cheap "great deal" ammo $2.00 per box of 50 cheaper at Walmart and Meijer just down the road. I was able to get the same price on an MP22 at the Fort's Sniperco ($59 cheaper than at Gander Mountain and $29 cheaper than at Freedom Firearms).

I have gone to the last two shows at the Coliseum and at the old K's Merchandise location. Good folks. Lots of interesting displays. But everything I saw at the shows I could get cheaper at the Fort's LGSs—without the gas for travel, $4 for parking and $6 for entry.

Seriously, skip the show and go talk to the folks at your LGS.

P.S. I am not a shill for an LGS. I am just a grumpy old man who came into the shooting arena late in life. It has taken me a couple years to learn the lay of the land. Still learning, but I know enough to offer the advice written above.

+1. I go to shows to pick up odds and ends, parts, etc. I don't go looking for firearms or ammo. I went to K's and coliseum and I have been increasingly disappointed with the coliseum show, it seems more like 'retail' or a brick and mortar version of cheaperthandirt.com

as others have said, if you go to shows, know what you're after. you can get in trouble pretty fast with a fat wallet and just roaming around.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I received a single press from my step dad, and am looking into reloading. I dont need to reload a bunch, but figured I would buy bulk rounds, and then reload the brass. I will be looking at some of the equipment at the show also. Heard good things about the guy in Indy, but that is a long drive from my house...Maybe a day trip is in order.

Personally I would just buy the equipment and components and skip wasting the money on the bulk ammo. You'll save money this way from the very start. If your local gun shop doesn't stock the components you need then you can find them at the show or online. I mostly go to shows to get powder and primers and see what kind of deals I can get on projectiles. There's usually at least 1 booth that will have everything you need as far as reloading components go.

You can also find good brass and bullet combo deals online which will save you money as well. Bullet and Brass Combos Go there and you can find 1,000 bullets and 1,000 pieces of brass for $179.00. After powder and primers you're still going to be saving money compared to buying that $300+ case at the show. And the savings just keep growing after that since you can use the brass multiple times. :twocents:

chasinfire

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    NWI
    Picked up some ammo, and looked at everything...not as many deals as I thought. Almost a wasted trip. Ammo was the same price online. I will look into loading stuff after I shadow a buddy in his shop and see what he likes, and doesnt.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Go to the show and look around and learn about different things you are interested in. Do not buy any reloads, great deals are very hard to find, and trust no one. Look around and then buy here from a member, an INGO advertiser, or your local gun shop.

Dave

Top Bottom