First handgun for my son - advice on make and model?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Well, a .22LR isn't suitable for home defense.

And most 18 y.o. aren't interested in wheel guns.
    Of course that's assuming that the purpose of the handgun is for self-defense and also assuming that he doesn't go along with the crowd and likes wheelguns. If his desires and purpose for the gun were known, as well as, the budget, we'd be able to make more specific suggestions.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    LMAO! Of course a Glock! Everyone needs a Glock! Glocks forever!

Truthfully a Glock 17 or 19 is one of the most affordable guns to own. See BWs post. Very common. Easy to find magazines, easy to find a holster, very popular.

9mm - Sig P320, Glock 19/17, S&W M&P, Walther PPQ, Ruger SR9. Let him pick what he likes and go shoot it. There is nothing at all wrong with a solid K frame revolver either.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, a .22LR isn't suitable for home defense.

And most 18 y.o. aren't interested in wheel guns.
    Of course that's assuming that the purpose of the handgun is for self-defense and also assuming that he doesn't go along with the crowd and likes wheelguns. If his desires and purpose for the gun were known, as well as, the budget, we'd be able to make more specific suggestions.

I'm just going off of what the OP wrote himself:
    Use: Range, home defense.

I also said "most" 18 y.o. .... which by saying, "along with the crowd" you're agreeing with me.

:n00b:

I didn't make any assumptions whatsoever.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm just going off of what the OP wrote himself:

I also said "most" 18 y.o. .... which by saying, "along with the crowd" you're agreeing with me.

:n00b:

I didn't make any assumptions whatsoever.
    Actually I didn't say that. I'm pretty sure that the OP edited his original post to show the desired caliber and intended use, as well as, budget. That being said, if you must be right to feel good about yourself, go right ahead!:laugh:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My son had the opportunity to shoot all my handguns during his high school years.
    For graduation I offered either a big party or a handgun. He choose correctly. Ultimately he choose a 92 G. It also came with 500 rounds.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    When I graduated from high school, my dad bought me a .357 Ruger Blackhawk w/ 5.5" barrel and 500 rounds of ammo. When I graduated from college, he bought me a Marlin 1894c to go with it. I said "where's the ammo?" He told me he bought the gun, I could feed it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When I graduated from high school, my dad bought me a .357 Ruger Blackhawk w/ 5.5" barrel and 500 rounds of ammo. When I graduated from college, he bought me a Marlin 1894c to go with it. I said "where's the ammo?" He told me he bought the gun, I could feed it.

Dang. When I graduated, I left for the Navy, and all I got was my Dad advising me to never kiss a hooker.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Actually I didn't say that. I'm pretty sure that the OP edited his original post to show the desired caliber and intended use, as well as, budget. That being said, if you must be right to feel good about yourself, go right ahead!:laugh:

He did edit it - before my initial reply.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My son will too soon be 18, and for the first time is showing interest in a handgun. In fact, just today he told me that for his birthday he'd like a handgun. He's always shot rifles and shotguns, he's familiar with the four rules, and I'm familiar with IC 35-10-7.

He has big, meaty paws - 6'3, 250 on a light day. He's a big teddy bear. With your son't physical stature and $400 budget, I'd suggest a S&W M&P or Ruger American. Both pistols have choices of grip module sizes. These days it is hard to buy a decent centerfire plastic pistol for less than $400, unless you look on the used market and you probably don't want to buy him a used gun for a birthday present.

I'm thinking a wheel gun for the relative simplicity of operation, and I'm thinking .22 caliber for shooting on the cheap and low recoil.

I like the Ruger LCR 22. Any other suggestions??

Budget: $400 negotiable, lower is better.
    Use: Range, home defense.
    Experience with calibers: .22, 9mm.
    Since you mentioned home defense, I'd rule out the .22 pistols. That leaves the 9mm. Since your son is a big boy and you have a $400 budget, I'd suggest a S&W M&P or Ruger American. Both pistols have interchangeable grip modules, so different sizes can be selected for different size hands. Both are at the top of your budget, but it is hard to find a decent centerfire plastic pistol for less than $400 unless you go with a used one. Since it is a birthday present, I doubt you want to go the used route.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The Walther Creed looks like an exceptional bargain. They can be had for under $300.00. You might want to check them out!

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Went through this a few years ago...and went with the Ruger Seucrity Six, used. We were looking for a S&W 19, and found a deal we couldn't pass up. Great way to learn trigger control and sight alignment, and shooting reloaded 38's is pretty cheap all day. Still has and loves that gun, but since have gone to the semi's and loving the 9mm and 45. Can't go wrong with so many out there, but we decided to keep it simple, fun, affordable, and dependable. Wont even look at cheap, lesser pocket guns now or ever...at least for shooting and training. He is finding his own way with what he likes, as it should be. But the basics of trigger control, sight alignment, shot placement and accuracy...are all valuable lessons at first vs. just a high cap 9mm and banging away! My .02 worth!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom