• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    I'm going to purchase my first gun this weekend, and am stuck between these two models. Are there any known issues with either that should sway me one way or the other? Both feel comfortable in my hand holding them, but I haven't had a chance to fire either. Should I try to find a shop that would let me test fire both guns, or just go for one or the other?

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I would take the Glock hands down, not a Huge Glock guy either. Sell a lot of XD's only to have their new owners resell and trade off, not so much with the Glocks...

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    Thanks for the input. It seems that no matter which way I go, resale on a lightly used gun is still pretty good, and swapping and selling/ buying something else seems to be part of the enjoyment of ownership, in that you can get to try a lot of different guns out and not lose a whole lot of money on the deals.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Had a G19 and have shot an XD. Both are good guns but if this is your first, I'd suggest a G19 - easy to maintain, parts/accessories are extremely easy to find, and they're (for the most part) pretty much like a tank in terms of reliability. I'd suggest you take a look at an M&P too - the grips and ergonomics on all three are different so fit and feel for you is what really matters. Good luck and welcome aboard to INGO.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I am a Glock 19 guy. It isn't even the most comfortable gun for me, so that speaks worlds when I give up something that fits my hand perfectly for the fact that it just works, and will work pretty much no matter what.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I prefer the XD by a slim margin. Both are great guns. Hold 'em side by side, buy the one you like best. Objectively, there is no marked difference performance wise.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    BIG XD fan here. Love the ergonomics over the Glock, pricing is better (except the XDm, WAY overpriced gun for what is given), and the looks (particularly my stainless slide XD9). The dual recoil spring assembly is really nice and (from the .40 one I owned) sucks the snap out of .40 or violent 9mm.

Only gripes I have currently is no one makes a carbine that takes XD mags (bummer) and the mags are expensive compared to a Glock. I prefer the trigger on an XD over the Glock, strange I know. Even tuned Glock triggers just don't jive with me, I like a squishy one over a hard snap ( :D that's what she said?).

One thing, as mentioned before, alot of used XDs pop up and they do not retain their value as a Glock does. Another problem is the sights, they require a Herculean effort to change out (tool and lots of arm strength). Outside of those, OUTSTANDING guns.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I personally would pick a Glock 19 over an XD9.

The margins of "better" are very slim between the Glock/XD/M&P. It comes down to relatively minor things that give the Glock the nod for me.

KB55

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    My first handgun was an XD9 service model. It's been absolutely 100% reliable, love shooting it, would never get rid of it. BUT, now that I am getting a little more comfortable carrying, there are some situations when I really wish I had the slightly shorter and slightly lighter G19. FWIW, I have shot both and love both. If you can fathom carrying in the future, it might be something to consider. :twocents:

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    Not trying to get off your topic but have you checked out the Ruger SR9?I never cared for Ruger semi's until they came out with the SR9,I would have the gunshop put the Glock,XD,M&P,and SR9 on the counter and go from there.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    First Handgun

It really doesn't matter which polymer handgun you decide to get. They are all reliable and priced around the same as each other. The best thing you can do it borrow/rent each and see which is your favorite. It's quite a bit cheaper to just rent and buy the one you really like the most. You may find the grip of the Glock fits you perfect or that the S&W M&P is preferred over both the XD and Glock.

Not to throw too much of a wrench in your plans. I would also take a look at the Ruger SR9, FN, and CZ handguns. You may be like me and prefer one of the less common offerings. The only way to know that is by shooting them. Good luck in your search and congrats on your first handgun. Whatever your choice is.

boileralum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Indy
    :yesway: Thanks guys, good feedback from all. Any recommendations for a local to Indy shop (within a 50 mile radius from downtown) that would have at least the G19 and XD9 (and possibly more) for rent? Anyone want to go shopping with me Saturday?

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I don't think any of our advertisers rent, you should check them out though! Several around Indy, Bradis, Beech Grove Firearms, TSG, Indy Gun Saftey, just to name a few!

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'm a big Glock fan and would definitely recommend the G19. I generally put Sig, S&W, Glock, and the XD in the same group. They are all great guns and it just comes down to personal preference. I would get a gen 4 G19, but you can't go wrong with either.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I don't think that they rent guns but Elmores in greenwood (hwy135) is a great store good guys even better prices. As for the gun that I would give the nod to it would be the XD9. I own one and never have had a prob with it. Won gun of the year 3+ years. Has more safeties then the glock. Ever seen a glock with a grip safety... NO! XD standard equiment. If you catch something in the trigger of a glock it will go off no questions asked. On the other hand an XD you need to have a full grip on the gun to even be able to pull the trigger back. As to the mags being expensive if you look around a little bit you can find them as cheap as 20 a pop. And if you buy an XD before jan 1st then mail in a rebate you can get 3 free mags plus a mag holder and a small black box that they come in (use mine for storing gun under seat of my truck). All and all my 2 cents is that it is a no brainer XD is the gun to beat, just because so many people own glocks does not mean that they are the best gun to have. After all most of the people thought Obama was what they wanted... Majority does not mean its the best.

Top Bottom