• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    First and foremost - I know gun safety as does my wife. In the posted picture, she was dry firing the handgun in a safe direction to get a feel for the trigger.

Now down to business.

My wife is Anti-Gun for the most part, but supports that I want to defend my family. In the picture is my wife of 2 years holding my new Kahr PM9 with Crimson Trace Lasergrip. Having smaller hands she was happy with this gun, opposed to the Glock 19 that this replaced. She is wanting to fire this gun - however we have chosen to wait so we don't harm our 10 week old unborn child!

2011-12-31_19-20-24_167.jpg

No negative comments on the wife please. We have our moments but I do love her =). She had a smirk on her face which I liked to see, especially with all the morning sickness :n00b:.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is awesome, man. Take it one step at a time and don't rush her. She will be outshooting you in no time.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Agreed. Baby steps. And the first steps are always the hardest. Congrats on coming together with regards to defending your growing family.

Before we had children, I wouldn't "let" my wife carry because I didn't trust that she could draw and fire without hesitation if the situation required such decisiveness. Now that we have little ones, she's packing 24/7 and I have no doubts she'd take any and all measures to defend our babies.

Enjoy the lifetime of safe and fun memories you and your family will create in a positive shooting environment.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    First thing is fix her grip! the left hand thumb is behind the slide! If she did that the first time you took her to the range she would have a couple of nasty cuts on her hand!! and would possibly end her wanting to shoot, even dry firing you want to do it right! Hope this helps, and congrats on the new baby!!

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    First thing is fix her grip! the left hand thumb is behind the slide! If she did that the first time you took her to the range she would have a couple of nasty cuts on her hand!! and would possibly end her wanting to shoot, even dry firing you want to do it right! Hope this helps, and congrats on the new baby!!

Absolutely right on the hand behind the slide. It looks dangerous as can be to me as well, and I continue to try to get her to fix the grip. She's been lucky in the past with the guns she's shot. Will be sure she's ready to hold this one different as the snap is much more from the 3" barrel! Thank you for the suggestion / reminder =)

Also, thanks for the congrats

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    As long as she doesn't see you spending most of your time 'talking' or researching firearms, or related topics-you're in!

Perhaps she's against part of this hobby for the wrong reasons. Be patient...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Time, patience and understanding. Safety around her at all times for easing anxiety. Do not take her to a bullet hose fest and eventually they do come around. If there are firearms in the house, every able member of the household should be able to properly use and understand them, no exceptions.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Your story sounds familiar. That was my wife a few years ago...fortunately she shares a lot of the same ideals as me and we support each other in our interests. Appears you two may be alot like us in that respect...congratulations!

A few days ago I bought a shot gun and was in the back yard taking it out for a test drive....after a few shots, I look up and here she comes. "I wanna try it!.... I wanna know how to use it, just in case...." So we go over a few safety and operational rules and Bang! "Ouch! That hurt!", she said. LOL! I got her to try it again, a time or two. But I don't think she'll be asking for a shot gun for her birthday.

Good luck, happy shooting, and congratulations on your growing family.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's great, you must be one happy husband. :)
    Just one thing about her grip, she has two fingers on the trigger.
    Do you know why?
    Maybe it's just a bad hand position on the gun or maybe she needs two fingers to pull the trigger, im not sure since I have no idea how heavy that trigger is.
    That could be a problem if the trigger is too heavy.
    Like other other have said, make sure to correct her grip before she shoots the gun and she should have a good time.

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Concur w/ what's already been posted. Will add that even though terrified of guns my wife has been willing to explore this world little bits at a time. Last yr she agreed to a line item in our budget called "Guns". She also was agreeable to receiving a handgun for Christmas. Now we are slowly dancing around her fears at her pace and she is growing in her desire to learn to shoot w/ some proficiency. All that is to say, keep lovin on her and let her set the pace.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Good luck to both of you. I commend you for posting the pic. I though it was funny that you had to preface it with those comments. You knew her technique would get all tore to hell on here. But I think it's mostly meant in a teaching supportive way. As the two fingers and on the trigger and the slide injury potential have already been mentioned ... I'll add that she should work on extending her strong arm (which I'm guessing is her right). But she should keep that look on her face, classic.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    What a beautiful picture. Congratulations to your wife on her new gun and her patience to shoot it. I don't know if I could wait, but then again, baby trumps all. Would she be comfortable shooting with other ladies. There are plenty of INGO ladies who would love to help a new shooter out. We also have women only trainings too that would be great for her when she's ready.

<--- This is an INGO lady who wouldn't mind helping a fellow lady shooter out :D

Top Bottom