• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    If you are looking for a good rifle to use I would go with the Remington 770 in 30/06 I bought one a few years ago for when we go to west virgina hunting it works great you can get it already set up with a scope from the factory the make it in diffrent caliburs priced well bradis guns has them $349 I have put lots of rounds threw mine and love it

now that is a great price
    time for me to look up this brady's place you speak of

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Hey guys
    Im looking to buy a high powered deer rifle
    I wont be using this in indiana
    but for the few occasions i go visit my in-laws down in arkansas :rockwoot:

i dont expect to use it very often so id like to stay on the cheaper end of the price price scale
    So my question is this....
    what all do you recommend?
    caliber?
    cheap optics? or iron sights?
    or should i just buy two guns for in one and buy an AR to be my cool gun and my hunting gun :ar15:?!?!?!?

Savage bolt action 30-06 or 25-06.

Cheaper than that I'd go with an NEF same caliburs.

There theres every thing used...

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    Savage bolt action 30-06 or 25-06.

Cheaper than that I'd go with an NEF same caliburs.

There theres every thing used...

7mm Rem. Mag. will do the job!

awesome
    thanks guys for the tips
    i think i might be narrowing it down to the rifle
    i think i want a remington 700
    does anyone have any experience with the Remington 700 SPSV model?
    they are selling for great prices on gun broker.

do any dealers in the indy area have any in stock that you know of?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you are looking for a good rifle to use I would go with the Remington 770 in 30/06 I bought one a few years ago for when we go to west virgina hunting it works great you can get it already set up with a scope from the factory the make it in diffrent caliburs priced well bradis guns has them $349 I have put lots of rounds threw mine and love it

I've handled several of the 770s at work, and except for price am utterly unimpressed. They look and feel cheaply made, and the bolt is horrifically rough. Even on my budget, I'd pass.

A new .30-30 can be had for around the same price, or just a little more. Ammo is cheap, it's everywhere, and the round is perfect for the hunting conditions described. If you need or want a little more range, Hornady's LeverEvolution ammo can deliver that.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Do you know if anyone makes a pistol grip stock or a thumb hole stock for these?
    I find it is much easier for me to control rifles and shotties in this configuration

I am sure there are both, but thumbhole stocks will be much more common. Any Remington 700 stock that is a thumbhole with a varmint contour barrel channel should drop right in or require minimal inletting.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    I've handled several of the 770s at work, and except for price am utterly unimpressed. They look and feel cheaply made, and the bolt is horrifically rough. Even on my budget, I'd pass.

A new .30-30 can be had for around the same price, or just a little more. Ammo is cheap, it's everywhere, and the round is perfect for the hunting conditions described. If you need or want a little more range, Hornady's LeverEvolution ammo can deliver that.

Thanks for the input
    I was looking at the 770's and was a little skeptical but figured if I could get a 700 spsv for a little more, I might as well

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Look at the marlin XLS or Xl series for a cheap starting point rifle in the bolt class. They seem to have stolen every good thing from so many rifles and put it in to a package that easily stays under 400 dollars. A friend of mine got the budget one at dicks for 279.99 in 308. I believe he calls it his black and blue hooker. It has an accutrigger copy that breaks at 4 pounds or so. the has the mauser claw extraction some model 70 win stuff and some model 700 rem stuff. he went all over the features to me and I said just give it here and I shot it four times off the pickup truck roof. That was proof enough all four bullets struck the fence post I was aiming at within the top of a beer can. He said he had more in the scope than the rifle. I think he did better on the rifle purchase than the scope myself as the scope looked fuzzy on the edges.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    Look at the marlin XLS or Xl series for a cheap starting point rifle in the bolt class. They seem to have stolen every good thing from so many rifles and put it in to a package that easily stays under 400 dollars. A friend of mine got the budget one at dicks for 279.99 in 308. I believe he calls it his black and blue hooker. It has an accutrigger copy that breaks at 4 pounds or so. the has the mauser claw extraction some model 70 win stuff and some model 700 rem stuff. he went all over the features to me and I said just give it here and I shot it four times off the pickup truck roof. That was proof enough all four bullets struck the fence post I was aiming at within the top of a beer can. He said he had more in the scope than the rifle. I think he did better on the rifle purchase than the scope myself as the scope looked fuzzy on the edges.

Now the next question is...how far were those shots?

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    first hunting rifle

I bought a H&R handi rifle combo 44mag and rifled 12ga. for 250 bucks.You can send that reciever to H&R and they will match almost any caliber barrel to it for i think about 150 bucks.Cheap way to get two guns in one,if you dont mind single shot. I put a good scope on mine and love it. (one shot one kill)

Top Bottom