• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    My first time for loading 38 SPL & 357 magnum and I want to make sure of a couple of things.

First question: I have some 38 SPL brass labeled as "+P". Is it OK to use this for standard loads?

Second question: 357 magnum will use the exact same bullets as the 38 SPL, but different brass & load recipe, correct?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    The +P marked brass is fine to use with standard 38 Spec loading. It's headstamped +P because the virgin load was a higher pressure load.

Yes, the bullet diameter is the same for 38 Spec and 357 Mag, and you can use the bullets interchangeably. I may recommend using 125gn bullets for 38 Spec and 158gn bullets for 357 Mag, but that's just my preference. The loading data is going to be significantly different, so do not, under any circumstances, load them at the same time.

38 Special is a difficult load to master because the min charge and max charge are usually only a few 1/10ths of a grain apart. Make sure you start above the min charge. If you go below the min charge, the bullet may become lodged in longer barrels. That's the scourge of loading 38 Spec.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    OK, I'm only going to start with 38 SPL. I bought 2 different bullets from Berry's.

The first is 148 grain plated double end wad cutter. I plan to load these at 3.0 grains of Titegroup (Hodgdon web and Lee both list 2.7-3.3) and an OAL of 1.160" (seated to very near flush with the case mouth.

My second bullet is 125 grain plated flat point. I plan to load that at 3.5 grains of Titegroup (Hodgdon web and Lee both list 3.2-3.8) and an OAL of 1.445"

These will be shot from my S&W model 28-2.

Thoughts on those as starting points?

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    HD, I really like how versatle TiteGroup powder is and I use it for a lot of my loading. I have used both of those loads and they work fine. I like to run my plated 125's a little more on the hot side. You will probably find that the lead wadcutter will be a more consistant ammo, because the bullets uses up so much of the vacant area of the case for better combustion and the long bearing surface seals and engages the rifling better. 158 grain cast semi wadcutters also work great at target velocities. After 75 years, there is not much new in the world of .38's Have fun

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    First question: I have some 38 SPL brass labeled as "+P". Is it OK to use this for standard loads?

Yes.

But I sort, separate, and load +P loads in +P brass.

Second question: 357 magnum will use the exact same bullets as the 38 SPL, but different brass & load recipe, correct?

Same diameter yes. Same bullets, sometimes.

Some soft(er) lead bullets (especially the swadged lead bullets) are too soft for .357 Magnum loads. A brinell harness of around 12 is good for general purpose .38 SPL. A brinell hardness of around 18 or more will be needed for .357 Magnum loads. In some cases gas checks are needed. If in doubt follow the bullet manufacturers recommendation for load data.

For range use a FMJ in either will be fine. However, hollow point or soft nose .38 SPL/.357 Mag bullets have different jackets and are design to expand at different velicities. I consult the bullet manufacturer when I am going to use a JHP or JSP bullet for a specific purpose (like hunting or self defense).

Plated bullets are good up to 1200fps, so if you want "standard" (i.e. 125gr at 1400fps) or "hot" .357 loads it's best not to use plated bullets.

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My first time for loading 38 SPL & 357 magnum and I want to make sure of a couple of things.

you can use same 38+p brass and the brass for 357 is diffrent than 38

Unit308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I've been casting 150 gr (SWC) wheel weight bullets and firing them from .38 brass for many years. I use Unique or W231 for the .38s.
    I would recommend that one not use Unique for the .357. Why? Because Unique is not an especially clean burning powder and in my experience, Unique left many flakes of unburned powder behind.
    For .357 I prefer Blue Dot and magnum primers are not necessary.
    If you keep your reloads down to reasonable velocities, it is possible to get four or five reloads from your brass before the case mouths begin to split.
    I can't address the use of other powders for the .38/357 and will leave that to others.
    I have a pretty large stockpile of Unique and W231 on hand, and like they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    I am open to suggestions.
    BTW, when casting my bullets I drop them into a bucket of cold water to harden them, and so long as I keep them below 1,000 fps I have had absolutely no leading problems.

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I see alot about keeping velocity low for cast in .357...Truth is if the dimensions in the gun are right, a proper sized 15 bhn air cooled, gas checked cast bullet can be pushed to jacketed velocities with no leading.

The key is proper bullet hardness, size and lube.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Loaded +p brass with standard loading, but decided not to that anymore. Gets confusing when shooting later. Try to load standard with standard and +p for +p loads. That will keep you straight later.

Mark in GA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    One simple truth I learning a long time ago is to assemble different loads in different brass or use bullets that are visibly very different to distinguish different loads.

To keep things simple I typically go with cast SWC's in standard 38 (non-+P) for light loads. JHP's in nickle brass are +P 38 loads. Cast SWC's in regular 357 brass are for medium (1000-1100 fps) loads. Jacketed or WFN Cast in 357 brass is for full power loads.

Mark in GA

Top Bottom