• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomray3of4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    United States
    I am looking for a little advice on my first Long Gun purchase. I am starting to build my collection not necessarily for when the SHTF as much as just being able to properly defend my family for whatever may happen. I am on a tight budget to start and go back and forth between going shotgun first or 22LR first. Right now I am stuck looking and buying from Walmart as a good portion of my budget is in Wally World Bucks. Here are my options I am considering in no particular order:

1. Maverick 88 (12 Gauge) ~$210
    2. Maverick 88 (20 Gauge) ~$210
    3. Ruger 10/22 ~$240
    4. Remigton 597 ~$230
    5. Mossberg Plinkster ~$115

Now my gut goes back and forth between #1 and #3. I know the shotgun would be better for home defense, but since I am not a hunter I wouldn't probably shoot it very often, hopefully. The 10/22 wouldn't be good for defense but feel would be a great option to have a fun gun to shoot with and modify. The only reason I even consider #5 is because of the price and that could get me half way to purchasing the shotgun second. The pain in finding 22LR ammo also makes me go back and forth.

Any opinions would be great. I am also open to other choices but my budget is around $275 and it must be sold at Walmart.

Thanks.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My first was a 10/22. I love it, but it left me wanting more. I don't hunt either, but I have the most fun with my shotguns. I would focus on defense first then fun later.

Welcome to INGO!

Jon

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I got my 10/22 when I was 13, in the mid 1970's and I know I've shot it way more than any other gun I've owned since then.

But, if I was choosing my first gun and was thinking about home defense, I'd probably go for one of the shotguns.

And, Welcome to INGO.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Home defense = shotgun. Plinking = 10/22. Personally I'd get my 50 posts and check the classifieds for a good deal on a HD shotgun. Then get a 22 for plinking. Cant beat a 10/22 for that.

tomray3of4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the great responses so far. Let me add two small points that may change the way you would lean if you were me. I do own a handgun now and I live in Fishers. So I live in a decent area and have a form of home defense currently.

Captianbullseye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 31, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If it were up to me I would go for the 10/22 without a doubt. I own multiple 10/22s and they never get old. Their fun to shoot, eat any brand of ammo, and you can do whatever you want to them(customizeably wise). If you are wanting home defense get the shotgun.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    if you have the pistol for home defense, RUGER 10/22 the only way to go!!! My first rifle, in blue. Now, 4 of them 2 stainless take downs, and 2 gorgeous older black walnut/SS

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    The theory is 2 of them will be my kids first rifles / daughter likes one of the black walnut/SS with a nice scope. I will have to "coerce" my son into wanting one of the take downs. This leaves one of each for dear old dad.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    I say maverick 88 many aftermarket parts, ammo is plentiful in 12ga any walmart will have it in stock. When i shoot 12 I collect the empties and I have the lee load all 2 which is $50.00 more or less and load my cheap wwb shells with buck and slugs. I shoot it much more than my 10/22. I can go to meijer and get 12ga, but will you find .22? Have you seen reliable .22 reloads? Just my 2cents:ar15:

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    May be blasphemy, but for the OP's purpose, a marlin 60 would be a better 22. Less $ up front, and you won't feel the need to keep spending more for upgrades/accessories. More accurate out of the box, in most cases. Get the Maverick too!

tomray3of4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    United States
    Ok so I ran to Walmart at lunch time to see what they had. I was leaning 10/22 when I got there. They had one that was nice for $260 and the only Shotgun in my price range was a NEF for $189. So long story short as I turned to leave a lady asked if I needed help. I said no just looking...actually is this the only guns you have in stock? I told her I was looking for a Maverick 88. She went and got the dept manager and he said I only have one in the back but its the security model (18.5" barrel)..uh okay, that's the one I want. About 30 minutes later I left with my new 12 gauge.

Thanks for everyones responses.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Ok so I ran to Walmart at lunch time to see what they had. I was leaning 10/22 when I got there. They had one that was nice for $260 and the only Shotgun in my price range was a NEF for $189. So long story short as I turned to leave a lady asked if I needed help. I said no just looking...actually is this the only guns you have in stock? I told her I was looking for a Maverick 88. She went and got the dept manager and he said I only have one in the back but its the security model (18.5" barrel)..uh okay, that's the one I want. About 30 minutes later I left with my new 12 gauge.

Thanks for everyones responses.

Good choice. That's the way I would have gone. Now start saving for your 10/22!

...and welcome to INGO!

Top Bottom