• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I rented a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 EcoBoost for a trip to New Mexico last summer and averaged 22.5 mpg. Mostly interstate driving, and mostly over 70 mph. Liked it so much that I just bought one. I would think that any EcoBoost engine that is getting 12 mpg is defective and should be looked at. Unless you are pulling a heavy trailer, and a V8 isn't going to do a whole lot better.
    I looked into it and it's a known issue with the ecoboost, so much so that they have a reputation for economy falling WAY off any time you push up to interstate speeds or hook a trailer up behind them. Having driven it the first 400 miles I was truly impressed, so much so that I was thinking of ditching GM and going ford next time (blasphemy). My cheap used-car connection couldn't believe the high economy I was getting because of all the complaints with the Ford. It didn't take long for the problems to present to themselves once I hit the interstate.

The only problem with trading an EcoBoost for a Chevy is that you then own a Chevy. :):

That's an upgrade, not a problem...

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I was pricing Colorados and Silverados the other day and found that there's not much in the way of savings by going small.

thats the point. These trucks aren’t made for people looking to save money. Due to volume the incentives and prices on full size trucks will almost always be a better deal. But to the guy who lives in a city where parking is premium, having a smaller truck that can still allow for the weekend warrior excursions is a big selling point.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    thats the point. These trucks aren’t made for people looking to save money. Due to volume the incentives and prices on full size trucks will almost always be a better deal. But to the guy who lives in a city where parking is premium, having a smaller truck that can still allow for the weekend warrior excursions is a big selling point.

You nailed it on all 4 corners, nojoy. That is exactly why my friends and I all have Tacomas.

Will consider this in a couple of years when I replace my Tacoma.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That's an upgrade, not a problem...

You're on the Sig P320 development team, aren't ya? :):

My 2017 Silverado 5.3 was a nightmare. "We don't know why your transmission is doing that, but GM is aware. There currently is no fix."
    I had a fix. Never again will there be a Chevy in my driveway.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I get it. For me, full-size just seems to make more sense. I drive long distances, but mileage isn't much, if any, better. I have no space restrictions. I keep vehicles a long time and so far, a 5.3L seems like a very good choice for that.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I doubt the 2.3L will be the only engine option. I’ve heard rumors for a year about the possibility of a 5-cylinder turbo diesel option. Matted to that 10-speed is really intriguing to me

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    From what I've seen thru Detroit Show coverage the tailgate and hood are the only alum body parts. Wish my Tacoma's 4 banger had the claimed output of the Ecoboost, I'd be willing to sacrifice the mpg...hey wait a minute, I already have and don't get anywhere near the HP or torque. Even be willing to trade the Tacoma's plastic bed for alum., it'd be an upgrade.

Check out youtube coverage on Ford's introduction of the Achates OP engine at the show this year, doesn't sound like they want to be the one's to actually produce it. While the talk circulates of a 5 cyl diesel for the Ranger, I think the OP engine stands just about as good as chance of being paired with it. Call me a weekend wannabe if you must, I can barely get an AccessCab with a 6' bed in the garage and still close the door. Had a four door Frontier with something like a 4.5' bed for a decade. With lowered tailgate, it gave 6' of flat surface and for lumber the hitch bed xtender was all that was needed. A 6' bed don't make the man nor the truck.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You're on the Sig P320 development team, aren't ya? :):
    Nope, but I can concur that Sig has gone down-hill since the 90's. I would also say the same about GM. Their vehicles used to be bullet-proof. IE, my daily drive is a 2000 Buick with 250k miles, and my truck is a 98 GMC 2500HD with 325k miles. They haven't had major issues outside of parts exceeding their usable life. My wife's daily-driver, a 2009 Buick, riddled with engineering failures. But Ford isn't immune to it either. The local transmission shop's lot is filled with Ford vehicles (although from the sounds of it GM isn't too far behind Ford in that respect).
    My 2017 Silverado 5.3 was a nightmare. "We don't know why your transmission is doing that, but GM is aware. There currently is no fix."
    I had a fix. Never again will there be a Chevy in my driveway.
    I can respect that. A coworker bought a new truck for his wife, I'm going to say probably a 2016. It would randomly shut off driving down the road on a weekly basis. Most of the time pulling over, turning the key off, and waiting a few minutes before restarting it would fix it. But on the last and final time, it wouldn't. They called the dealer, told them what road it was sitting on, and told them to come pick it up and give a full refund. It took some fighting but GM eventually capitulated and gave them a refund. GM never could figure out why it was doing it, and last I heard they took it back to be analyzed. I'm guessing that means they took it to the crusher; a brand new truck, 3 months old, had such severe problems that GM couldn't figure it out.

Why can't we go back to the days of simple vehicles? The more fancy electrical crap we put on them the more that can go wrong.

Top Bottom