• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    New to the forum so apologies if this gets asked a lot. I am going to be purchasing my first handgun within the next month and am trying to put together a list of guns to look into. This will probably be the only handgun I will own(at least for a couple years). I do have some experience handling and shooting handguns just have never owned. Looking for something for home defense and carry. 9mm or 380. Would like to keep it under $500. I know a lot of people are going to say glock but I have shot a 26 and a 19 in the last month and they just don't feel right in my hand. Also, if anyone knows of any ranges in the Bedford area it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If you don't like Glocks give the M&P's a shot. Similar function and reliability from my understanding, and priced around the same.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    M&P9C with a safety is the best one size fits all gun in my book. For a first gun, please get a gun with a safety, which rules out Glock. I would suggest a STRIKER fired pistol that holds at least 10 rounds, and has a manual safety. That will narrow the results down to just a few.

Glock fanboys will tell you safeties are stupid, but for a beginner I believe they should be a top priority. I suppose the grip safety on a Springfield XDM is really acceptable as well. The primary purpose is to prevent accidental discharge from "coon fingering" (slang for mishandling). Until you have a perfected keeping your gun holstered, even while using the restroom, and learn to store your gun so that you can grab it in the dark with your eyes closed without touching the trigger, use a safety.

IndyS3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Fishers
    I love my XDM 9mm and the ammo prices are reasonable. Might as well buy a gun you can afford to shoot on a regular basis.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    M&P9C with a safety is the best one size fits all gun in my book. For a first gun, please get a gun with a safety, which rules out Glock. I would suggest a STRIKER fired pistol that holds at least 10 rounds, and has a manual safety. That will narrow the results down to just a few.

Glock fanboys will tell you safeties are stupid, but for a beginner I believe they should be a top priority. I suppose the grip safety on a Springfield XDM is really acceptable as well. The primary purpose is to prevent accidental discharge from "coon fingering" (slang for mishandling). Until you have a perfected keeping your gun holstered, even while using the restroom, and learn to store your gun so that you can grab it in the dark with your eyes closed without touching the trigger, use a safety.

Manual safety is definitely something I want but wasn't going to be a deal breaker. Striker fire seems a little more difficult to find in the platforms I have been looking at.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Manual safety is definitely something I want but wasn't going to be a deal breaker. Striker fire seems a little more difficult to find in the platforms I have been looking at.

Yea, there aren't a lot of striker fired designs with a safety. M&P, and XDM (grip safety) are top choices though. You really, really can't go wrong with ether.

In DA/SA almost all have a safety and/or decocker. The Beretta PX4 s really nice and affordable. I like my DA/SA's, but I guess I am starting to believe they are becoming old fashioned, due to having more moving parts and complexity.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I was in your same boat a couple years ago. I bought (and still own) a 9mm XD subcompact. I have to say, I'm really pleased with it. I researched the crap out of it, and I liked what I heard about it's reliability. Furthermore, the grip safety helped my peace of mind regarding carrying and handling the weapon without a manual safety. This is a weapon that I can carry around every day and not worry if it gets banged around a bit. I paid $475 for mine (gently used, with about $50 worth of ammo included), but you may be able to find them for less if you shop around a bit.

Here are some links that helped me decide on the XD:

Torture Test

Web Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36x4qh7tsc

PS- Welcome to INGO! There are some really knowledgeable guys on here. There are also some idiots; it is the internet after all. Glad to have you here.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Given your criteria, I would definitely include the Ruger SR9 or SR9c in your list to examine. Very nice firearm for the price. As noted above, handle any you are interested in and if possible test-fire before committing.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    New to the forum so apologies if this gets asked a lot. I am going to be purchasing my first handgun within the next month and am trying to put together a list of guns to look into. This will probably be the only handgun I will own(at least for a couple years). I do have some experience handling and shooting handguns just have never owned. Looking for something for home defense and carry. 9mm or 380. Would like to keep it under $500. I know a lot of people are going to say glock but I have shot a 26 and a 19 in the last month and they just don't feel right in my hand. Also, if anyone knows of any ranges in the Bedford area it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would try shooting a 9mm and see if you like it. I wouldn't go .380, just not enough knock down power, IMO.

The S&W M&P series can be had for under $500. You can go with the 5" model, the 4.25" full size model, or the 3.5" compact.

I have an M&P...I have around 7000 rounds through it so far. Great shooting gun.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Given your criteria, I would definitely include the Ruger SR9 or SR9c in your list to examine. Very nice firearm for the price. As noted above, handle any you are interested in and if possible test-fire before committing.

My brother has the SR9c....and absolutely loves it.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    are you near south bend? if so go to kodiak firing range, and do the gun rental. i was there today and shot a few glocks, a few springfields, a ruger lc9, a few m&ps, and a sig mosquito. all for $20 ($10 for gun rental, $10 for a lane) plus the cost of ammo.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Don't forget revolvers. GP 100 would fit the bill cost wise. Not much wrong with a .357 magnum either.

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    I was in your same boat a couple years ago. I bought (and still own) a 9mm XD subcompact. I have to say, I'm really pleased with it. I researched the crap out of it, and I liked what I heard about it's reliability. Furthermore, the grip safety helped my peace of mind regarding carrying and handling the weapon without a manual safety. This is a weapon that I can carry around every day and not worry if it gets banged around a bit. I paid $475 for mine (gently used, with about $50 worth of ammo included), but you may be able to find them for less if you shop around a bit.

Here are some links that helped me decide on the XD:

Torture Test

Web Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36x4qh7tsc

PS- Welcome to INGO! There are some really knowledgeable guys on here. There are also some idiots; it is the internet after all. Glad to have you here.

Pretty impressive....!! Makes me want to go get one:patriot:

Top Bottom