• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Im looking for a 9mm compatible can. I definitely want to use it on a 38 Spcl lever gun, and a PCC. May also want to get a threaded barrel for a pistol and try it there. When holding suppressors at the range, it seems like 10 oz is the upper level of what I would want to put on the end of a pistol.
    I have been considering the Rugged Obsidian 9, Huxwrx Rad 9, EA Sonus 9, dead air wolfman, and maybe the JK PCX.
    Does anyone have bad experiences with any of those companies, or really great experiences with these suppressors, or are there others I really should consider in that category?
    Additionally, on HUB compatibility, how useful is it on a pistol suppressor? Im expecting to use Plan B with my 556 suppressor.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I’m not a fan of the JK can, it’s not quiet at all. It’s really designed for CC to prevent ear damage.

The Rugged Obsidian is my personal choice, followed by the Wolfman. I’m a big fan of Rugged cans and the adapters are always available. I’ve pulled my hair out looking for ‘in stock’ Dead Air adapters before so it’s soured me on them a little.

Rad 9 is a nice can but Huxwrx is really known for their rifle technology.

Don’t bother with the HUB on a pistol. There’s really only one threading for a 9mm American firearm. Occasionally you’ll run into LH threading’s like with HK or Italian Berettas but they’re unusual.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    I would stay away from DeadAir, they have been having a lot of QC issues since they don’t manufactured in house (look up their Sierra 5 situation).

I’d recommend the rugged obsidian 9.

My personal experience I run a silencerco Hybrid 46M and I love it. I’d recommend the 36M if you weren’t wanting to use .45 caliber in the future. I’d recommend it also.

IMG_1469.jpeg

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    How much does a wipe add if you are looking for a very quiet can in a limited number of shots?
    Wolfman and Sonus have them, but most modern cans don't advertise wipe compatibility with the end caps.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    How much does a wipe add if you are looking for a very quiet can in a limited number of shots?
    Wolfman and Sonus have them, but most modern cans don't advertise wipe compatibility with the end caps.
    They add a good bit of quiet, but they need to be replaced often - every 10-20 rounds, and can not be manufactured by you until the used ones are destroyed. There are strict ATF rules on the manufacturing and use of them even for individuals.

They're fun to play with but not practical for range / normal use.

EDIT: unless you're @Creedmoor and so old school it hurts.... :):

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    They add a good bit of quiet, but they need to be replaced often - every 10-20 rounds, and can not be manufactured by you until the used ones are destroyed. There are strict ATF rules on the manufacturing and use of them even for individuals.

They're fun to play with but not practical for range / normal use.
    I just Bing'd what this was as I had not heard of wipes and am not very knowledgeable about suppressors... Kind of cool, first search result was an INGO post

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I just Bing'd what this was as I had not heard of wipes and am not very knowledgeable about suppressors... Kind of cool, first search result was an INGO post

Wipes are really used for clandestine 'only a few shots needed' work. They're fun to play with but I think it's dumb the ATF regulates a piece of rubber. A wipe is considered part of the suppressor and manufacturing one makes a regulated part.

Again, fun to play with but dumb to regulate.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Not trying to derail the topic...but the obsidian 9 is rated for both sub and super in 9, 38, 357 mag, and 350 L but only rated for subsonic 300 blackout. Why? Chamber pressure in the 350 legend is comparable to that in the 300 blackout and takes up more of the bore diameter.

Also for what it's worth, I love my obsidian 9. A pleasure to shoot with subs out of my p10c. Supers aren't bad either, but with subs it is downright giggle inducing. I have a friend who also has one and he claims it doesn't suppress well. I told him that he's doing it wrong. :dunno:

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    If you want another great option, check out the Thunderbeast Fly9. It is made out if titanium and is significantly lighter than the Obsidian. You can definitely feel the weight of the Obsidian on a handgun, but the Fly 9 is so light that it feels like you are shooting without a can.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Is there anything wrong with using less well known brands?
    PWS BDE seems new
    Thunderfly i had never heard of
    EA Sonus
    The big names are the big names for a reason, but the smaller names have a lot less info on them, and claim to do great things for great prices.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Is there anything wrong with using less well known brands?
    PWS BDE seems new
    Thunderfly i had never heard of
    EA Sonus
    The big names are the big names for a reason, but the smaller names have a lot less info on them, and claim to do great things for great prices.

There’s nothing wrong with lesser known brands. Usually the big companies have known good customer service which in turn is what you are paying for in the price tag. With big companies you are at less risk of the company going under and losing your warranty, parts, and any assistance.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Rugged Obsidian is also at a great price.
    The BDE 9 is similarly priced, and may have better interior volume. Does anyone have any experience with the BDE 9 or other PWS suppressors?
    I understand buy once, cry once, but I would be kidding myself if I was only going to get 1 pistol suppressor over the next decade. So budget is very relevant.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Rugged pistol cans beat TB pistol cans all day long.
    Have you tried a Fly 9? I have both the Obsidian 9 and the Fly 9, and they sound the same, but the Fly 9 feels like it adds no weight to the pistol, so the balance stays the same. The Obsidian is a great can, but it's a tank on a handgun.

gamshar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2023
    Sellersburg
    Not sure if OP is still looking but I love my Rugged 9 can and have used it on 9mm, 300blk (subs only), and more recently .38/.357 with fantastic results. Run .38 spl with 158gr and wet (I use a water based gel) and it sounds Hollywood quiet. .357 was surprisingly not bad either. My only complaint was on my FN509M host the can would unthread after only a few rounds, even when using their recommended plumbers tape on the barrel threads. The solution came with Griffin armament’s EZ loc mounts and it has worked wonders on that host. I will also say I have witnessed the SiCo Omega 9k and it performs fantastic with 9mm.

steelhead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2021
    Fishers
    My knowledge is limited to research online, so please correct me.

I’ve gathered the Obsidian 9 is a pistol suppressor than CAN be used on a PCC, but isn’t the best choice for dedicated PCC use.

If this is inaccurate, the Obsidian seems like a slam dunk between price and brand pedigree.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    My knowledge is limited to research online, so please correct me.

I’ve gathered the Obsidian 9 is a pistol suppressor than CAN be used on a PCC, but isn’t the best choice for dedicated PCC use.

If this is inaccurate, the Obsidian seems like a slam dunk between price and brand pedigree.
    The obsidian suppressors are great on both pistols and PCCs. I have one on an FMP-9 machine gun and it runs like a champ.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    The obsidian suppressors are great on both pistols and PCCs. I have one on an FMP-9 machine gun and it runs like a champ.
    Do you have an assessment between the Obsidian 9 and the Alaskan 360? I have an Alaskan sitting in jail (damn trusts get no love) that I wanted for a PCC and was wondering if such a giant toob can even work on a pistol.

Top Bottom