First post: Switch Ballistol to FrogLube?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigTom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Hey there INGO users! I'm a new member and I figured I'd use the oppertunity to ask a question I have had on my mind for awhile now. I am a huge fan of Ballistol. I have always got great results from Ballistol and this far have nothing to complain about. The other day a friend Brought up FrogLube. Working in the steel industry myself, I understand and agree with the idea of filling the holes in the steel that the eyes can't see. I have seen 95% good reviews, which is about what i could expect when i search for good ol' Ballistol. My skepticism however lies with the heat/lastivity of the FL formula and the simple fact that FL isn't a thick coat.

When you apply FL, The metal has to be warmed, then applied, then let set for up to an hour to absorb into the metal. This sounds great, except what happens when I shoot my gun? When it's hot outside and I carry my handgun? Will it sweat out? Will the slide heat up and the FL stop working?

My other issue is with the coating. Because FL is a thin coating to begin with, it makes me skeptical about shooting 200 rounds in one of my sigs and worry about my slide rails. I don't worry with my Ballistol because I know it's an actual oil barrier with the slide rails.

Being that FL is a newer product, it can get a lot of quick fame over the Internet, and I want to know if it really is a full CLP replacement. I'm almost out of my current can of Ballistol and I need to order within the next couple of days. What is your guys input on FrogLube? What is your opinion with Ballistol? Which would you choose? Any and/or all input on this would be much appreciated! Thanks and have a great day!!!!

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    The way I see it is, if your Ballistol works great for you, why change it?

I use Ballistol myself, and I don't see a reason to change it up. Froglube does seem like a great product, but Ballistol works fine for me.

SigTom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    It's not even necessarily doing a complete changeover, I am just more or less wondering if anyone on here has used froglube, their thoughts, and if its worth switching to

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    It's not even necessarily doing a complete changeover, I am just more or less wondering if anyone on here has used froglube, their thoughts, and if its worth switching to

I've been using Frog Lube for a while now. It works fine for me but I seldom shoot hundreds of rounds at a time from one gun. I used Hoppes 9 and Rem oil for many years and probably wouldn't have even tried the Frog Lube except some of my friends in Texas were really praising it. It seems like my handguns have cleaned up a little easier since being treated with Frog Lube but if I had to start using my Hoppes and Rem oil again it wouldn't be a big deal. If you are really curious, Frog Lube comes in sample size containers. Wish I could have been more help. If you lived close enough, I just let you try some of mine.:D

Top Bottom