• ...and so much more!
  • chet wisner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Evansville
    ... need opinions.

Used Charter Arms Model 53811 Off Duty, .38 hammerless, 2" barrel. $289.99. I went ahead and paid for this, but am waiting on the application approval (another thread) before I pick it up. The salesman was really pushing this, saying he thought a hammerless safer. I'm still kinda skecptical about it being used. Rajo's says it's fine.

Although it isn't stamped on barrel, he says it's +P rated.

Another I was really considering was the Rossi Mod R351 for $315, also a .38.

Chet

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have heard good things about both, but I do not have any personal experience with the Charters yet. I have fired several Rossi revolvers and really enjoy them. I have heard a few bad comments about the Charter revolvers on here, but I can't say anything bad about them personally. I was looking into picking one up sometime. Good luck.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    First off congrats and welcome to ownership. Would not have been my first choice, but not a bad one. I personally prefer a gun with a hammer, but again that is just opinion. Safer? I don't know if I would say that. I guess some might say that.

If it is this model:
    53811.gif

Then it is +p rated.
    Here is a link to the website;
    Charter Off Duty #53811

as for the price that seem to be around what this model is going for on gunbroker then you have to pay shipping and FFL

Congrats again!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Seems like a good chunk of change for a used gun. I'd personally check out the Taurus CIA line. It's exact same revolver but if you have cash you might be able to get the .357 for the 50 dollars more.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    ... need opinions.

Used Charter Arms Model 53811 Off Duty, .38 hammerless, 2" barrel. $289.99. I went ahead and paid for this, but am waiting on the application approval (another thread) before I pick it up. The salesman was really pushing this, saying he thought a hammerless safer. I'm still kinda skecptical about it being used. Rajo's says it's fine.

Although it isn't stamped on barrel, he says it's +P rated.

Another I was really considering was the Rossi Mod R351 for $315, also a .38.

Chet

Chet, I think you did fine.

The real test is to ask yourself. "Am I willing to pay, what the selling is asking?" If the answer is yes, don't worry about if you could have saved $10 by going down the street. If we spent our entire life looking for the best possible deal, none of us would own anything because we would all know next week the prices will change.

Now that that part is behind us. This is your first firearm? Have you taken any classes at all? Based on your "To Own or Not" thread I'd like to actually recommend a class I didn't particularly like. However you are almost exactly the student it was written for.

Find an NRA instructor near you, who is offering the NRA Basic Pistol class. It will cover everything from the basic parts of the pistol, to proper sight alignnment, proper sight picture. How to safely load and unload your firearm. You'll be exposed to different kinds of firearms, semi-automatics, single action revolvers, etc. And you'll get to shoot about 50 rounds, supervised with someone there who can help you if you're having troubles.

Cheers, and If you ever get up this way (Indianapolis) let me know and Pami and I will find a way to take you to the range :)

Here's to hoping your next experience with firearms is a lot better than your first!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Chet, congratulations on your first purchase. I'd also like to recommend an NRA Basic Pistol class. I think I remember in your earlier thread that INGO member GregB posted. He is an NRA instructor in your area.
    I took the Basic class and I enjoyed it. My backround was in shot guns. I had never shot pistols before I took the class. It reinforced what I already knew about shooting basics, but gave a lot of good instruction on the basics of pistols, both revolver and semi -automatics, stuff I didn't know. It was worth my time and $$$ to take the class. Enjoy your new pistol and happy and safe shooting! :)

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Welcome to gun ownership!! sounds like you did fine!! If it is rated for +P ammo it should be marked on the frame right below the cylinder, and will be easily seen when the cylinder is open!

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    A fine purchase, I'm sure. As to your skepticism, if it be gun quality or reliability, we all take the chance. However, Charter, having experienced some ups and downs and now trying to recapture a share of this market, would almost certainly stand behind any product with their name on it, if there is a problem, if there is a problem. Info of their financial issues can be had from their site. Heed the advice of, Lars. Sound advice for someone new, anyone, really. Good luck to you with your new aquire, I'm sure you will be pleased. Hope to read your range reports, soon.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i dont like charter arms. a buddy had a 357 blow the barrel off (literally the barrel flew down range) i was with him and he was using factory ammo. this happened in the first 10 shots through a new gun. charter arms basically told my friend to deal with it.

i dont like hammerless. i did buy one for my sister but when she carries she carried in her purse so i didn't was the hammer hanging on whatever women keep in there purse. personally i like the option of pulling back the hammer for more precission shots.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Congrats on your new gun, enjoy it. My brother has a Charter Arms .44 spl and loves it. Good luck with yours and post some pics and a range report when you get it. :rockwoot:

chet wisner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Evansville
    First off congrats and welcome to ownership. Would not have been my first choice, but not a bad one. I personally prefer a gun with a hammer, but again that is just opinion. Safer? I don't know if I would say that. I guess some might say that.

If it is this model:
    53811.gif

Then it is +p rated.
    Here is a link to the website;
    Charter Off Duty #53811

as for the price that seem to be around what this model is going for on gunbroker then you have to pay shipping and FFL

Congrats again!!

Yeah, that's the one. I think he was referring to the fact that it being hammerless and not cocked, it would be safer as a result of having to pull the trigger. Or something like that.

I've got to study the differences between DA, SA and DAO.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Good choice, Chet. And heed Lars' advice. He's pretty sharp, and right on the money on this one. I don't shoot my Charter Arms .38 a lot, because it's not really a range gun so much as just a personal protection gun, and not as much fun to shoot as some others. I find that when I do use standard velocity .38s the "bark" isn't so bad, and I can acheive reasonable accuracy at typical practice ranges. Overall, it is a perfect first purchase. You did very well. AND welcome to the club! You're a gun owner now! Woo Hoo!!... :)

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/66478-charter_arms_undercover_38-broke_again.html

That being said, I've known some Charter Arms owners and they seemed to think their purchase was worth the price of the gun.

I am not trying to rain on your parade but want you to be safe. Any gun that is your first, even if it is something that turns out to be personally disappointing, is still exciting and ushers you into a new world. You'll wonder where all your fun money went to besides ammo! :D

Top Bottom