• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have several older K frame S&Ws, and a stainless 3" GP100. I think if I could only have one I would pick the Ruger, It's built like a tank and plenty accurate.

Dave

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    These are N frames so just a little bigger than the K, but IMO the Smith is a better looking gun and the actions are smoother (and no warning labels on the barrel)

S&W has good customer service too, even they still won't build me a model 69 in 41 mag with no lock

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    These are N frames so just a little bigger than the K, but IMO the Smith is a better looking gun and the actions are smoother (and no warning labels on the barrel)

S&W has good customer service too, even they still won't build me a model 69 in 41 mag with no lock

Love those grips. Look like wood, grip like rubber. Best of both worlds.

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Personally I would get the Ruger. I have several Rugers revolvers and have had no problems with them. On the other hand my father has had at least four S&W revolvers and all but one have needed worked on at least once. He also has two gp100's and prefers them to his 686.

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    My first is a S&W 686 4" SS. I bought it about 28 years ago without any issues, I have about 10,000 rounds thru it. I still have it and would never part with it.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I would recommend the SP101 in a 3" barrel as it is much easier to carry and conceal. Mine has quite a bit of work done to it, but suffice it to say that it costs very little to make it a world-class shooter with a 2.5lb trigger.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I love my 686, but my old Smith model 64 (.38 spl) is the best shooting gun I have. It's a $299 police trade-in, and it has taken the 686's position as my nightstand gun.

Utility has a beauty of its own.

True.

Here's my 64. She's the firearm equivalent of "the girl with the nice personality" .

64a_zpsb60352be.jpg

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Love those grips. Look like wood, grip like rubber. Best of both worlds.

Ruger finally minimized the warning, this happened at least 2 yrs ago.
    It was like a billboard before, now it's just a few words

EDIT: apparently I quoted the wrong post. I was trying to reference the post about Ruger's excessive warning label (which drove me nuts too -- what an efficient way to ruin the looks of a beautiful gun, just put a massive warning label all over 1/2 of the barrel)

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That is an improvement. I had forgotten how much I hated that on some of the Rugers I have seen. It looked like the whole instruction manual was printed on the side of the barrel.

That was one of my big draws to the Match Champion.

1754.jpg

Much nicer than the warning billboard.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Ruger finally minimized the warning, this happened at least 2 yrs ago.
    It was like a billboard before, now it's just a few words

EDIT: apparently I quoted the wrong post. I was trying to reference the post about Ruger's excessive warning label (which drove me nuts too -- what an efficient way to ruin the looks of a beautiful gun, just put a massive warning label all over 1/2 of the barrel)

ANY warning label on a firearm is excessive IMO. One of the reasons HK doesn't do anything for me. Ruger has cut down the warning size but...it's still there. Them putting it on the bottom of the ejector rod shroud was a good idea, not as prevalent. But, still there. I even called Savage (knowing they'd say no) back when I had my Mark II FV-SR, I asked them if I paid them to remove the warning label from the barrel how much they'd charge me. When I bought my M&P I wanted one with a mag disconnect cause it wouldn't have the warning label on the slide.

Just some things I can't stand in a gun: warning label, locks, loaded chamber indicators (unless it's subtle, CZ 97 ish), and I don't like mag disconnects but those cane be taken out

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    Ruger Service Six, stainless steel, 4" barrel. Bought it new at Joseph's Jewlery and Loan in 1987. In a world where everything is for sale, this is one of the things that is not.

Top Bottom