• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My 91/30's don't bother me in the recoil department. The M44 on the other hand, gets a little brutal after awhile. The last time I went to the range, my son was laying on the ground firing it, and the percussion off of it was incredible. There were even dust devils forming about 15 feet out from the muzzle after each shot. I prefer the Polish steel cased ammo in my M44, as I seem to get more noise and bigger fireballs, but the 91/30s seem to like the Russian stuff.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Yes. I got the goodies. I cleaned the bottle as well as the rifle but I left the inside with the cosmoline inside so I can show folks that don't know what it is and to remind myself of how grimey it was. I haven't put the sling on and I can't see me using the pouches. Did you get them as well?
    I got all that stuff too. Most Nagants come with all the accessories, but you didn't show them in your pic.

Cleaned out and polished the bottle (it was mostly empty anyway). It's a cool little item, so I think I'll display it in our curio cabinet. Kind of a complex construction for the era. I would have thought that in the interest of simplicity, the Russians would have just made two smaller bottles, and perhaps soldered them together.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I shot my Mosin Nagant today. It kicks, but it feels great. My brother and I put 40 rounds down target (20 a piece). All that was available was the very expensive Winchester box of 20 for $25 180 grain. I will definately buy surplus next time! I set up at 50 yards and wasn't hitting squat. I moved to 25 yards (Don't say it. I know. At that range I can throw the bullets at the target.) to see where it was shooting. I put 4 shots in a grouping that was the size of a dime and the fifth was about one inch away. The problem was that the grouping was four inches high. I had adjusted the ramp on the rear site moving it up a little before that because I was having to aim about 4 inches low to hit the bulls eye. I'll get the hang of it. I wore the foam ear plugs and the headphone ear protection and that certainly helped save my hearing. Unfortunately or me while I was starting to walk to my car, some guy that was waiting to use the 25 yard stall decided to shoot his M1 without looking around to see if everyone had their hearing protection on. Gave me a royal headache, which I still have two hours later. I love the Mosin Nagant. Cannot believe I stayed away from rifles for so long. The 91/30's have a lot of character. Don't you think?

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    My wife is getting one of these for Christmas. She loves them. Likes the way they shoot and likes the history behind them.

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    Very Nice M-N. I currently have a '43 Izzy I bought from a friend. It stock looks like the Russians let their dogs use it as a chew toy, but she shoots like a dream. I got lucky and got one with a smooth bolt. I've been getting the Mosin itch again, might have to purchase a few more for, uh, collection purposes. yeah, thats what I'll tell the misses;)

Btw, Aim has 440rd spam cans of russian surplus for $90:yesway:
    Russian 7.62x54R 147grn FMJ 440rd Can

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    If I remember correctly, these rifles are zeroed with the bayonet on and therefore shooting them without will reflect that.

Anybody chime in on that?

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    If I remember correctly, these rifles are zeroed with the bayonet on and therefore shooting them without will reflect that.

Anybody chime in on that?

Russian military doctrine of the time was that the bayonet was attached unless you were in a vehicle, so the 91/30's were sighted with fixed bayonets as well, especially since the M44 Carbines didn't show up until late in the war.

Top Bottom