• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j. villarreal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm looking to buy my first shotgun, mostly for occasional clay shooting at a friend's property and range visits. Would you guys recommend a pump or an over/under? There's a remote chance that I might get into more organized shooting later, so I've been leaning O/U. What do you think? Thanks!

Jason

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm looking to buy my first shotgun, mostly for occasional clay shooting at a friend's property and range visits. Would you guys recommend a pump or an over/under? There's a remote chance that I might get into more organized shooting later, so I've been leaning O/U. What do you think? Thanks!

Jason

For what you want it for, a OVER & UNDER will be perfect:yesway:

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I would say it depends on if there is a specific clay discipline you are interested in, how often you are really going to shoot, what your budget is, and how likely it is you will get into organized shoots.

I've been on the market for a trap gun, and entry level guns are in the $2,500 range, with a jump of almost double that to get into the mid-quality range. Good over unders are ****ing expensive.

If you're really thinking about an O/U, you need to first figure out if you want a field grade gun, or a competition grade gun.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I would say it depends on if there is a specific clay discipline you are interested in, how often you are really going to shoot, what your budget is, and how likely it is you will get into organized shoots.

I've been on the market for a trap gun, and entry level guns are in the $2,500 range, with a jump of almost double that to get into the mid-quality range. Good over unders are ****ing expensive.

If you're really thinking about an O/U, you need to first figure out if you want a field grade gun, or a competition grade gun.

You can buy the TURKEY & RUSSIAN O/U for under $399:rockwoot:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Depending on what you are looking for there could be a big price difference between a pump and O/U. For versatility it is hard to beat a Remmy 870 or Mossy 500. Simple swap of the barrel and you have something suitable for clay shooting, home defense, or hunting. Don't get me wrong I love my O/U! I just don't get excited about some of the cheaper O/U options on the market.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Jason

Quality O/U

nickl16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    I love my 870 and all i do is shoot clays with it, for just starting I don't think it would be a bad choice plus the price is good. IF you wanted to move into the competitive shooting you can always pick something else up and sell the 870. This just gives you a good cheap option in case you don't want to stick with shooting clays and change disciplines.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    What is your price range? The best value is to get a used gun. Matter of fact, there was a great deal on a Browning O/U in the classified not too long ago.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I'm a man of simple tastes...

I'd vote Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 field gun...

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 Field. I bought it to shoot trap. I still don't go all the time, but when I do, I have great success with the it.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    870 all the way! Its like the jeep of shotguns:draw: Deer hunting I put the wood stock back on and slug barrel. Shooting birds I put the smooth bore barrel on it. When I get home the combat stock goes back on with the side saddles and the buck shot! This gun provides lots of options! Had a trigger job done on it by the guys at cayuga and a extended mag installed with an over sized safety its nice when you have gloved hands!
    The shop is Darrels custom firearms I had to go up and look in the safe at the receipt. Excelent firearm with options!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Bloomington
    I use a Winchester 1300 and 1200 when I shoot skeet. But I use a Franchi O/U when I shoot sporting clay. If you shoot sporting, it is nice to be able to choke each barrel to the appropriate shot, and I reload so I hate searching for my empty hulls in the weeds.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Get a good pump. If you decide to get into competitive shooting, that will be a reason to spend money on a nice O/U.

If that happens, you can convert your pump into a home defense shotgun - or sell it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Apples to Oranges and you left out Peaches.

A decent Semi auto is a great choice. Since you know nothing about shotguns, you probably know even less about proper fit.

A bad choice in an expensive O/U is a much larger mistake then buying the wrong semi or pump. Buying for a "chance" you may compete, the semi is good insurance.

Even triples with a pump are not impossible. I know three quails that will testify to that. A pump that fits you is ten times better than an O/U that does not.

For me, I have found starting new shooters on a semi is a great way to go for all clays. They can use that same gun for anything and that builds the shooters confidence in the gun. It also forces them to better understand, load selection and choke as they only have one barrel to use.

Shoot first, then decide what gun. Not the other way around. It is also likely the shots at your friends place won't be overly hard or challenging compared to clay courses.

If budget is an issue and you are talking cheap O/U's compared to pumps, I would buy a used Wingmaster or Winchester over any cheap O/U.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have to agree with Zoub. A good semi auto will cost more then a pump and less then a quality O/U. I find a semi easier to shoot then a pump gun. They are well suited for most all of the gun games.

SerasVictoria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    It all depends on what you think feels the best in your hands, there are people who just seem to bond with their gun and do great with them.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Well you could like vert said with an 870 or 500 there is so much you can do. About 5 years ago ohio state trap shoot was won by a guy shooting an old 870. Thay make 870 trap guns still or if you dont like that high comb you could go with a 870 wingmaster. Just make sure it fits you. Good luck.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you think you want to be a serious clay target shooter, figure out if you like the sport of trap, skeet or sporting clays. A dedicated trap gun is biased heavily for the trap field and is a different fit and sight picture gun than a skeet or sporting clays. Since skeet and sporting competitions are 4 gauge events, many people get a set of sub gauge tubes fitted.

In my experience, a good clean brand name O/U is cheaper in the long run. Say that you pay $2,000 for a very nice used Beretta 682. As long as you keep it nice, it will probably always be worth $2,000. A $600 gun will be worth $250 tomorrow, and $150 next year. And that is if it does not have any break downs. Those third world produced guns are notorius for being difficult to find parts and repair services when they break. Stand behind a quality shotgun for 200 shots at a trap meet and try to stand behind a low cost gun for 200 shots. The way a quality gun transmits recoil saves your shoulder, neck and face from a lot if pain. Good Luck

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Hands down Remington 870......I shot skeet with one for three years in high school when I didn't have a lot of money.......870 express 12 ga.....sent well over 5000-8000 rounds though it and it is still running strong....I also can't say enough about Remington and how they stand behind their products.....I took this gun hunting in the sleet and rain had a 1/4" of ice on it and put it int the gun case...got home and the teflon finish had rusted in a few spots....sent it back to Remington....they sent it back with a new barrel....."oh by the way we noticed the finish was wearing on the stock so we replaced it, and noticed some wear on the bolt and action so we replaced them.....NO CHARGE!!!"....I had 5000 rounds through it at that time!!!! FIXED FREE!!!

I have a 20 ga. youth model now that is my new rabbit gun....LOVE IT...like taking a B.B. gun into the field....never had a gun handle SO FAST...

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Based on budget a pump is the cheapest then semi-auto. Find what fits the best among those choices. After you have shot enough to decide to shoot competitively you will know enough to wisely spend the money on a good O/U.

If you only shoot occasionally the pump/semi will also avoid the dreaded no shot when you show up on the trap range with your O/U that you never use set to fire the wrong barrel.

Top Bottom