• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I've been looking at 3 different shotguns; Benelli super nova tactical, mossberg 590a1, and the Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tac. The Benelli is a mystical unicorn, you've heard that it exists, but have never seen one in real life! :D 590's are difficult to find. And then the 887, which looks badass, has all the features you want in a tacticool gun, but early weapons had some poor reviews. The 887 is available and tempting. What are your thoughts and experiences with the 887? Or should I stick with a 870 and pimp it out, all chrystal and ice? :D

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The 870 is just about impossible to beat, plus there are all sorts of parts for it but besides an extended tube you really don't need any more,

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    I concur with the 870 suggestions. Its time tested, reliable, affordable and lots of accessories and mods are available. Good luck with your purchase.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I have a 590 tactical, its a great shotgun, but aftermarket parts aren't nearly as abundant as an 870. So if you plan to customize it, go with the 870

squish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    South Bend area
    Not knocking the 870 for a second here, but I've got the supernova tac and couldn't be happier. I got the nordic +3 extension and barrel clamp plus a set of nights for it as well. I'l not a fan of having all of the tacticool crap hanging off of my weapons. Call it minimalist and functional. If you're looking for accessories to look mall ninja cool then go with the 870 (which is a very good and proven platform), if you're looking for a smooth functioning HD street sweeper get the Benelli. Either way you're going to get a VERY good platform. It's your money spend it however you want.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    870 without a doubt. Get the express and 'pimp' it out to whatever you like. I've heard the finish on them is garbage so that would give you free range to coat it with whatever you would like. I have a 870 wingmaster and love it, but there is no way I could mess with a factory blue job.

Jon

claybustr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    870 or Mossberg 500 Really can't go wrong with either and there are a crap ton of parts available for each.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Not knocking any of the others but I'm hunting for a Supernova. I'm looking for a jack-of-all-trades shotgun that's primarily for HD, but yet something I can swap a barrel on and shoot trap or hunt turkey. The Benelli has a better warranty, some better construction materials, and still has the mag tube extensions available like the 870.

My 2nd choice would be the 870 (not the 887), for the reasons mentioned already. Tons of aftermarket parts and it can do everything I want it to do. I chose the Benelli over the 870 primarily because of the apparent quality control problems that Remington's been having lately. It may not extend to the 870s but I don't want to take the chance.

If I were you I'd steer clear of the 887. It may be a good gun but comparatively speaking it's very new. It just doesn't have the track record of the others. Since you're looking at the tactical models you're obviously look for a HD gun primarily, in which case proven reliability is the most important characteristic.

I'm steering clear of the Mossbergs precisely because of the barrel-swap requirement I have. Because of the way the 500 series' magazine tube endcap is designed (physically part of the barrel) you have to match the barrel to the tube. That means getting and extended tube with multiple barrels is going to be a pain.

spray73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    870 for sure.. Recently purchased an 887 hoping it would prove to be as reliable and rugged as the 870 but within 24 hours it was in a box, and shipped off to Remington.. An absolute LEMON.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    No question a Remington 870 magnum. Been around for years and years, smooth action and just a standard against all pump action shotguns are judged.

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    I vote 870! I'm looking for a 870 and pimp it out with some Mesa tactical parts. My buddy ended up with a 887 tac. Lots of problems with that gun finally Remington bought the gun back.

Top Bottom