• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well I will be a Sig owner Saturday morning looks like. If all goes well I should own a new P938 Extreme by then. I'm pretty pumped actually. Been looking for a good quality small 9 for some time. My old man is a huge Sig fan and I have to admit I like shooting all his Sig stuff :)

Just had to share, cause I sure as hello can't share with the wife :)

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Well I will be a Sig owner Saturday morning looks like. If all goes well I should own a new P938 Extreme by then. I'm pretty pumped actually. Been looking for a good quality small 9 for some time. My old man is a huge Sig fan and I have to admit I like shooting all his Sig stuff :)

Just had to share, cause I sure as hello can't share with the wife :)

Congrats! Just a few things for your consideration as you get to know your new Baby Sig ...

1) The P938 has had some issues right out of the gate. Many were addressed in the first few months as new owners discovered FTF, FTE issues and had to send them back to the factory. Nothing like being unpaid beta testers for Sig.

2) On the case it comes in, check the date of manufacture. If it's not old stock, it should have a recent date. If it was born before November, expect some issues. Mine was born on Nov 17 and performed flawlessly ... until one day when it didn't. I had to send it back.

3) If you aren't already aware, it's more like a little 1911 in design than a typical Sig pistol. It field-strips like a 1911, it has an external hammer with no de-cocking lever like a 1911, its magazine is single-stack like a 1911's, and has an external safety like a 1911. But that's where the similarity ends, sadly.

4) My hand is big enough that the black rubber version was right for me. The grip has a bulge in it, and the magazine has a finger extension that makes a very small gun actually feel like more than a toy in my hand. Because of it's weight, it doesn't kick like a mule (like my Kel-Tec PF-9 does), but it's no 226, either. Don't expect it to feel much like a Sig when you fire it.

5) The trigger. *sigh* Seriously, as a BUG I'm sure it would be fine. You're desperate, in tight -- it'll go BANG and do its job. However, the 938 is no range queen. If and when Sig comes up with a trigger job for it to lighten the ~8-lb pull (pretty stiff for a SAO pistol, IMO), perhaps I'll like it better.

It's a great little gun. I love my Baby Sig and carry it daily. However, I will readily admit that I carry it over my Kimber or other Sigs ONLY because it's so small and discreet. My right-side love handle moans and groans after a few days of carrying a larger gun IWB.

I don't post this to discourage you, but to encourage you so that you aren't disappointed right out of the box. Your mileage may vary. Check out posts here and on SigTalk.com for other opinions.

Good luck and have fun! :D

willie53

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Very good information, appreciate reading about your experience. Good luck on your new shooter. Let us know how it does, when you can

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Thanks for the download on the P938, N8RV. I seen one a couple of weeks ago and liked it. Always doing research for next purchase. Am kinda surprised at the feeding probs being the rep Sig has.

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    N8RV- I didn't take it as disappointing news, no worries :). I was aware of all the shortcomings honestly, was just looking for a non 100% plastic piece in 9mm as close to lcp size as I could get from a quality manufacturer that I liked. I really.like my 1911's styling so j was kinda sucked in there :)

I appreciate you taking the time to write all that you did. Thank you!!!

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    :D
    N8RV- I didn't take it as disappointing news, no worries :). I was aware of all the shortcomings honestly, was just looking for a non 100% plastic piece in 9mm as close to lcp size as I could get from a quality manufacturer that I liked. I really.like my 1911's styling so j was kinda sucked in there :)

I appreciate you taking the time to write all that you did. Thank you!!!

You're welcome. With all of its birthing pains, it's still a great little gun. If I can get the trigger pull lightened and smoothed out, I'll be in LOVE! :D

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Sig recommends not shooting Winchester White Box and Hornady Critical Defense, they claim most of the FTFs have been caused by either one or the other, or limp wristing.

Nice going :yesway: I really like the 938s, REALLY liked the Extreme but the new Nitron version is nice and feels pretty good

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah I've heard to use 124gr for break in and something along the lines of no Winchester white box, hadn't heard the hornoday part tho. I'll be sure to call sig first, maybe this afternoon and get their latest recommendation. I'll share what I find out as well. Pumped for tomorrow!

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I got ahild of a 938 yesterday. Private seller but it was like new, only 21 rounds through it. I had already read about all the issues, mostly over on sigtalk, so I fully expected to have a few problems. My wife and I put 100 rounds through it today before we got rained out. She was shooting the last magazine of the day and had a fail to eject. Now to be sure, she is a very new shooter and she may have limp wristed a little. In any case, my understanding is that sig has worked out the bugs and will switch out the extractor at no charge. Guys on sigtalk sounded like it totally fixed the problem. Mine is marked as leaving the factory in may 2012, I believe November and newer is supposed to have the new extractor and shouldn't have the same issues. Another possible issue is the magazine falling out. It may or may not have happened twice while my wife was shooting. I say it may have happened because I can't be sure she pushed the mag all the way to its locking point. It never happened while I was shooting. I thought maybe my grip was just helping to hold it in so I intentionally did some shooting without any contact with the magazine and didn't replicate the issue. Other than those hiccups it is a sweet little shooter. Absolutely love it, I went out on a limb buying it because I'm counting on sig to take care of business and replace what needs to be replaced. I'm thinking I'll put another 100 or so through it just to see if I can replicate anything. If not than great, I'll keep shooting but if I get any more fte or magazine issues I'll get on the horn with sig. I fully expect them to take care of it.

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    Good range report, thanks! Yeah, mine is a Aug 2012 so I fully expect to have to send it back, but hopefully I'll be proven wrong :).

For a new gun, the black nitron coating seems awful thin, its already worn/ incomplete in a few spots...not too happy about that.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Ammo choices for P938

While I won't dispute anyone's experiences with different brands and ammo configurations in the P938's issues, here is what I can report with regard to MY particular weapon:

PMC Bronze, 115 gr FMJ

Hornady Critical Defense, 115 gr FTX

Cor-Bon +P, 125 gr JHP

Federal Premium Personal Defense, 147 gr Hydra-Shok JHP

Sinter-Fire (frangible), 100 gr

I went to the range yesterday and several rounds of each through the 938 and had NO FTF or FTE issues. Zero.

Put that info in the FWIW category. :)

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I read an article (I think on sig talk) about fixing the trigger pull. It said to replace the hammer spring with a Wolff 20# spring from a Colt Mustang. I tried to order the spring today but Midway was out of stock. Take it for what it's worth. I would really like a 4-1/2 # pull. I'll try it when I can get a spring. Other than that mine has shot flawlessly.

Top Bottom