• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Just thought I'd add some input.
    A year and a half ago I built an AR pistol using a Hardened Arms upper and Anderson Manufacturing lower. Those two fit together but are a little loose. Some clackity-clackity is going on.
    If I try to put on my 16" Radical Firearms upper, it goes together, but the front pin is stuck something fierce. I have to use a punch and a hammer to get it out.
    Unfortunately, I can't test my Hardened Arms upper on my Rock River Arms lower... But I suspect there is a tolerance issue with my Anderson Manufacturing lower as well.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I small amount of taping with a rubber mallet drop the rear pin through for a nice tight fit. I tapped it back out and put it back in. Still needs to be tapped through but is working. Mounted the brand new Vortex Strikefire II on the gun played with it for a couple of minutes then pulled back the charging handle, let is slam home and the dot in the sight disapeared!@#$$%%#$^

Call Vortex customer service and they were very responsive. Suggested I get a new battery first but if not they have already provided a shipping label.

I sure appreciate everyone's help.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Blueprint? What's a blueprint? I suppose tolerance stacking isn't really that big a problem as long as you have a big enough hammer. What's comical to me is that all those years I worked on primarily 1911s and S&W revolvers you NEVER saw this problem on the S&W revolvers. You would run into constantly on a 1911. Probably because only S&W manufactured S&W revolvers and they did not sub contract ANY parts. They made everything - right down to the screws and pins.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Blueprint? What's a blueprint? I suppose tolerance stacking isn't really that big a problem as long as you have a big enough hammer. What's comical to me is thar all those years I worked on primarily 1911s and S&W revolvers you never saw this problem on the S&W revolvers. It was always on a 1911. Probably because only S&W manufactured S&W revolvers and they did not sub contract ANY parts. They made everything down to the screws.

And everyone makes 1911's. The aftermarket is full of parts/pieces etc.
    Same same with AR's.

But I am sure that was your point anyway...:)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This happens on even the expensive stuff. My Daniel Defense upper didn't like my Noveske lower. Some lube, some love taps and a lot of in & out now they like each other fine now.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    This happens on even the expensive stuff. My Daniel Defense upper didn't like my Noveske lower. Some lube, some love taps and a lot of in & out now they like each other fine now.

I had read another thread on here about Noveske lowers not accepting PMAGS easily. Maybe Noveske makes their lower from the original Colt prints to only accept G.I. Aluminum mags.?
    Also maybe Noveske lowers are true Milspec and DD uppers and lowers may not be?

Back on topic, when I build I am very anal about using parts from the same MFG. in the case of this current thread I would have used all PSA parts if using a complete PSA upper.
    This is the main reason I do not buy builds, parts fitting issues and the competence of the builder.
    That last sentence is not directed at the OP, just a general statement.
    AR's in general are like "hot rods", even used factory rifles, you never know what the previous owner did to it.
    Ran it hard, did mag dumps and got the barrel hot over and over again. I am leery buying used AR's in general rather a build or a complete factory rifle.

It does sound like lube and a mallet did the trick in this case.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I had read another thread on here about Noveske lowers not accepting PMAGS easily. Maybe Noveske makes their lower from the original Colt prints to only accept G.I. Aluminum mags.?

Back on topic, when I build I am very anal about using parts from the same MFG. in the case of this current thread I would have used all PSA parts if using a complete PSA upper.
    This is the main reason I do not buy builds, parts fitting issues and the competence of the builder.
    That last sentence is not directed at the OP, just a general statement.
    AR's in general are like "hot rods", even used factory rifles, you never know what the previous owner did to it.
    Ran it hard, did mag dumps and got the barrel hot over and over again. I am leery buying used AR's in general rather a build or a complete factory rifle.

It does sound like lube and a mallet did the trick in this case.
    I seriously doubt PSA buys any matching parts from any company. I've seen too many out of spec parts that didn't fit right and didn't hold up. I can only guess but buying seconds wouldn't surprise me one bit.
    There's a reason some parts and even guns are cheap crap. Not mentioning names. I speak from experience and not from internet say-so BS. I've owned and built most of the stuff when I have time.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

I have all three Generations of Noveske lowers. The Gen 1 is a Forged 7075 Mil-Spec lower that will take all PMags. The Gen 2 is an early serial # 7075 forged lower with a flared magwell that doesn't accept Gen 3 PMags without a little persuasion. The later Gen 2's addressed this. The Gen 3 is a 7075 Billet lower that will accept all PMags.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Just for reference... my Noveske upper and lower were bought as a matched pair (PMags drop free btw). The holes were undersized and lapped at the factory and fit together perfectly. I'm not expecting other brands to fit perfectly.

All of my PSA builds have been fine. I have built quite a few but recently started building Aero stuff. I like the Aero fit & finish better for only a few more $.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Just for reference... my Noveske upper and lower were bought as a matched pair (PMags drop free btw). The holes were undersized and lapped at the factory and fit together perfectly. I'm not expecting other brands to fit perfectly.

All of my PSA builds have been fine. I have built quite a few but recently started building Aero stuff. I like the Aero fit & finish better for only a few more $.

The funny thing is I have 3x Noveske lowers and 4x Noveske uppers but one of my Gen 1 Noveske uppers won't fit onto the Gen 2 lower. I chalk it up to tolerance stacking. I just find it funny that of all my uppers it is the 2 Noveskes that won't mate.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The funny thing is I have 3x Noveske lowers and 4x Noveske uppers but one of my Gen 1 Noveske uppers won't fit onto the Gen 2 lower. I chalk it up to tolerance stacking. I just find it funny that of all my uppers it is the 2 Noveskes that won't mate.

:): maybe that's why they charged a premium for a matched set.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Quick shout out to Vortek. I mentioned above that the Strike Fire Two I bought went out before I even shot the rifle. I mentioned that I called CS and they were very responsive. I used the shipping label they emailed me to send back only the sight. They emailed me when it arrived, emailed me when it was done and on the way back. In short I sent them a bad sight and they returned a brand new package with working site, battery & mount all in less than 10 days including a holiday weekend. Now that's some good service.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I bought my Aero lowers for $47 each (including shipping, tax, transfer.....that was out the door). You can find them CHEAP if you’re patient. They’re excellent lowers.

Insert my standard remark about an Aero being worth the extra $20 here.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Same thing happened here, and with Anderson lowers and a PSA upper. Gun 1 was Brownells (ATI manufacture) upper on Anderson lower. Gun 2 PSA upper on Anderson lower. They fit together just fine, but when I tried to swap uppers, the PSA upper would not fit on Gun 1 lower receiver. I swear I have another combo that just doesn't want to mate, but I am not looking for trouble today. Tolerance Stacking, where one receiver, or possibly both, just not drilled as they should be. Perhaps I should just buy BCM.

That Brownells ATI upper receiver that I bought on sale. Brownells said it was 10" FF keymod handguard on a 16" 416R carbine barrel with 1:8, barrel nitrided inside and out. The upper arrived with gas block and FF handguard both out of alignment, and it wasn't free floated. The aluminum gas block was making solid, tensioned contact with the FF. At this point in time, I should have returned the upper to Brownells, but foolishly I did not. Replaced the gas block (I properly dimpled barrel) with a steel one that did not interfere. The 3 FF handguard screws near the upper receiver were actually making contact with the barrel, not tightening the handguard. Fixed that. The barrel is not stainless, not nitrided and very doubtful it is chrome lined as ATI doesn't chrome line it's barrels. The BCG looks nitrided. With a Weaver 6X scope, just not an accurate upper. But it functions fine. Now it is relegated to duty as the "barn gun".

Top Bottom