• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To lofore,

Be VERY attuned to when the shooting times on the main range are! I was standing some distance away chatting with friends when the range just lit up! My ears rang for quite a while after that. I was extremely perturbed about their lack of safety.

They do not have a safety warning or anything. Just "BOOM" and you're off. Keep your hearing protection available at all times.

Enjoy the show!

Regards,

Doug

lofore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    thanks all

thanks for all replies. this board has been very helpful even though I don't post a lot.

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    To lofore,

Be VERY attuned to when the shooting times on the main range are! I was standing some distance away chatting with friends when the range just lit up! My ears rang for quite a while after that. I was extremely perturbed about their lack of safety.

They do not have a safety warning or anything. Just "BOOM" and you're off. Keep your hearing protection available at all times.

No just FLAT OUT NO!
    They have all sorts of safety measures in place.
    Every time that range goes hot the range master over the PA announces it to the crowd.
    There is plenty of advanced warning that the range is going hot.
    You were obviously engrossed in conversation, and not paying attention.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    ... I was extremely perturbed about their lack of safety.

No just FLAT OUT NO!
    Every time that range goes hot the range master over the PA announces it to the crowd.
    No ****.
    "Firing line security are we ready on the leffft?!" "Firing line security are we ready on the riiight?!" "Line is hot ... " [last of his words were drowned out by the blasting].

At least that's the way I remember it. Maybe they got a different RSO. Then again, last several times I didn't even visit the line. Regardless, one should always have hearing protection immediately available at any such venue. (Depending on the individual, not needed beyond a certain distance from the firing line.)

Make an effort to stay for the night shoot. It will be well worth it.
    Speakin' of which ... [relatively older and very small sample] ...

[video=youtube;31vm3-BQRJU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=31vm3-BQRJU#action=share[/video]

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No just FLAT OUT NO!

To 762minigun,

Yes. Yes. And again Yes it did happen.

We were talking but there was NO warning at that time. Period.

If you are claiming that was a fluke or an anomaly that could be, but we were about 30 yards from the range and it just went off.

Also, IF(?) there was warning in that incident that we did not hear then it was NOT ENOUGH compared to the decibels of the machineguns going off.

So I stand by my initial advice to always have hearing protection ready no matter where you are located at Knob Creek.

Regards,

Doug

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    No ****.
    "Firing line security are we ready on the leffft?!" "Firing line security are we ready on the riiight?!" "Line is hot ... " [last of his words were drowned out by the blasting].

Exactly how it worked yesterday. Lots of Security on the line and all over the grounds. The shooting always started at the top of the hour and ended 30 minutes later. They would have a 30 minute break then crank it up again.

I carried my ear protection with me. When not next to the firing line, it would still get loud and dusty. Also had Huey helicopters buzzing overhead. Made for a great day.

Top Bottom