• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaxjax261

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I am new to the firearms community and have been seeking a local store where I could find help to find things I may need as I get further in to it. I did a google search and found Profire was only a short drive away. I stopped in and was at first disappointed in the selection of firearms they had. Again, I'm new I need hands on help. I knew nothing of reloading other than I thought it was something old guys did in their basements. Never gave it much thought. Anyway I was greeted by 3 workers there as I walked in. I told them my reason for the visit and they went to work with out batting an eye. They told me their names but I forgot by now. One guy was huge and appeared to have a cannon on his hip and one in his pocket. The other was much the same with just a fuller beard and a normal automatic on his side. The guy with the cannon SERIOUSLY walked me through everything I think I needed to know about handguns, defensive ammunition, and reloading my own ammo in the future. I was taken away by the amount of time they put into me as they knew I was a first time customer and they knew I was looking to purchase a handgun that didn't have. Knowing I wanted a 40cal I asked about the ammo they had in stock so I could at least purchase something. The guy showed me 2 different types of 40 ammo and said this is meant to be a soft shooter and said it would be good to reduce recoil while learning good "fundamentals" and said the other box was for the recoil loving 40 crowd. I took one of each as they were well priced considering the wealth of information I picked up free of charge. I went to the range Saturday and remembered what he told me "front site post and slow trigger roll" at 7 yards I did well for my first time keeping most every shot in a 6 inch circle. I feel the quality ammo was in part to thank. I hope they come out with Red Star 40 hollow points soon as I feel better knowing my ammo was hand crafted by experts no just run through a faceless machine. I'll for sure be back for more.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    S&W M&P is certainly a great choice for a handgun.
    you'll have time to get other handguns.
    oh yes...it will happen...your hobby/lifestyle has just now begun! :rockwoot:

Jaxjax261

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I do want to try several types to see what works best for me. But for now this seems to do all that I want it to. Easy to hide works every time not much more to ask for right now. Sorry but there is a stereotype to reloading. Which doesn't for because all the guys there were younger than me

Jaxjax261

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If it makes you feel better they almost have me convinced to start loading my own. Hard to spend that kind of money on a new hobby right now though. I may just take the class and see if it's something I want to do. 900sqft apartment won't allow for much....maybe one day when I grow up and get a basement or garage ;)

Jaxjax261

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If it helps they almost had me convinced to start loading my own. Hard to spend that kind of money on a new hobby. A 900sqft apartment doesn't allow for much maybe when I grow up and get a basement or garage ;)

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    ...I knew nothing of reloading other than I thought it was something old guys did in their basements.

I resemble that remark.

Glad you had a good first visit. Profire is a little far away to be a regular stop for me but I have been there a few times. They were helpful, friendly and seemed very knowledgeable on my visits.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    glad to hear you had a good experience. I've found *most* shops very helpful - although there's always a douchebag somewhere nearby.
    It usually pays off big time as comfortable customers are return customers as long as the price is competitive.
    The m&p 40 is a great gun that should serve you well -- now just to decide what gun/caliber/platform next!!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If it makes you feel better they almost have me convinced to start loading my own. Hard to spend that kind of money on a new hobby right now though. I may just take the class and see if it's something I want to do. 900sqft apartment won't allow for much....maybe one day when I grow up and get a basement or garage ;)
    For NOW - SAVE all your used brass casings!!
    For $200 you can get into a Lee Classic Turret press kit (faster than a single stage press), then just some primers, powders, and bullets and you're rolling. PLan on about $250-$300 to get it started. You honestly won't "save" a whole lot of money, but you can shoot about 2-2.5x as much for the same price.

There are plenty of better and more expensive options out there. But starting on a Lee press is a budget-friendly way to begin.

Top Bottom