• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I'm lookin to get into bows and bow hunting, but I know almost nothing about them other than how to shoot one, what is the opinion on Parker bows are they a good brand, perform well? I've also been shown Bear bows, I just don't kno enough to tell any difference, what do I look for and what are some recommendations? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Head to a local bow shop and all will be answered. That's what I did last year and was amazed at how much goes into fitting and getting it set up.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Most modern bows are OK, Parker and Bear are on the low end scale of things. I am sure many have opinions on the best but it really depends on what you can afford.
    I killed deer every year with a compound that is now 20 years old, I upgraded last year to a new PSE model and the improvements are amazing. The best thing you can do is go to a shop that will let you put some arrows downrange to make sure you are comfortable with your purchase.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Head to a local bow shop and all will be answered. That's what I did last year and was amazed at how much goes into fitting and getting it set up.

This^^ Also, as bow season has already started, your best bet might be to wait untill after the season to get started. Bows will be on sale then, and at this late stage, it would be very hard to get accurate with your bow for hunting. I usually start shooting my bow in the summer(July,August) in order to get ready for the season. In gun season, you have a little bigger area to shoot at than you do with a bow. A bow shot deer can and will run a long way before bleeding out. A less than accurate shot may only wound. You owe it to the animal to make a quick, clean and efficient kill. Not trying to scare you off, I'm trying to give you all the information. Good luck with what ever you do and show some pics of what you get.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

^^

And NOT a Gander or something like that. A *local* place with an owner who loves everything about it and will spend the time to get it right, someone who's passionate about it, someone who wants you to love it and be a lifelong hunter (and customer, of course.)

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    A good idea is to google search the name of your bow you want to buy and see if people are having trouble with them.
    You don't have to pay a grand to have a nice bow.
    We had a bear Warrior II bow that was cheap, but it served its purpose of getting my son started in archery.
    We have 2 Diamond bows by Bowtech and they have held up nicely. Make sure the shop guarantees the bow, I did have to return mine because it had been dryfired and when I shot it the string came off the cam....OUCH....Bass Pro had me return it and then sent me a brand new one that has been 100% fine.
    Some mom and pop shops actually are not that great to visit. If they are slow to help you or just have the overall attitude that they are doing you a favor by taking your money, go elsewhere.

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Some good info, I wasnt planning on hunting this season, just trying to get into it, anybody kno any good places to go in the Laporte/porter county areas to go to? And as for the bows I just noticed the Parker brand cuz they advertise as bein made in US and lifetime warrentys

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy

I agree with Gamez...in the end you will get your best advice from a true archery shop. Stear clear of Gander or Dicks. Might get lucky and find one good bow guy but changes are you will get bad advice and worse bow setup if you do buy one...take it from me..3 year bow hunter and just bought my first mid-dollar bow.

I would try and educate myself on different aspects of bows and go feel some. Placed like Dicks are perfect for this. You can handle them without help just to get a sense of feel and weight.

My first bow was from a pawn shop and it was a early 90s bear bow. Shot ok but was heavy. Second bow was a new...old stock Parker Hunter-Mag. Bow shot great for a cheaper bow..no complaints.

I just picked up a new Bear Strike this past winter. Bow is very fast and quiet. I relaly like it. I will say though I don't notice a huge huge difference between that and the Parker.

There are some things I don't care for on it. The cable slide road and cables aren't terribly far from the centershot on the bow. I have to turn the cock vane to the side to clear them when the arrow rest calls for vane up. Grip is not as skinny as some other like a PSE. Chews up the rubber bumper stops quicker than I would like.

Nothing huge but I might have went another route.

Get advice but make your own decision on what you want. if you want the most quiet..smoothest biow then a Hoyt/Matthews is the way to go and you will be happy. If you want to save some money nothing wrong with a Bear. I like the feel of PSE but my magazines always say the PSE comes in dead last for quiteness when shot with Hoyt, Matthews, Bowtech, Bear and that concerns me as a hunter.

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    Can't forget about Mission bows. Its made by Mathews has all of their same tech. but about 1/2 the price. I have a Mission Eleminator II and I personally love it. The reason I chose Mission was simply bc it is basically all Mathews stuff just with a different name, about 1/2 the price (depending on what you get), and you get the same warranty that Mathews offers.
    In the end shoot what is comfortable, fits you, & is in your price range.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I also have a bear charge and it shoots great for me , it came as a package so I just had to buy arrows. It was $399 for package or you can buy the bare bow for $299 and purchase your accessories seperately

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom