• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    A good friend of mine at work is going to buy his first SG and has sought my input. He said the reason he asked for my advice is mainly because he really knows no one else he feels has any firearm knowledge and he has seen me give what turned out to be good adice on buying HG's and rifles. Although I am rather knowledgeable about a several shotguns because I own them, admittedly I haven't bought a new shotgun in 7 or 8 years so I am concerned my knowledge on some manufacturer types may not be any longer accurate. So I would greatly appreciate the input of people who are at least very knowledgable and base their opinions on first hand experience and not so called "friend of a friend" second hand information.

My friends budget is under $500 and the gun is for his son to use for upland game hunting and clay birds to prep him for same. He also told me if his other son takes to it he would be more likely than not to purchase him his own SG as well as one for himself, so my advice is going to influence a potentially considerable financial investment on my friends part. Both his sons have been through several firearm safety courses and are capable of responsible firearm handling, while under direct adult supervision.

Based on his sons age and firearm experience I recommended he begin with a pump action shotgun, and as his son has fired a 12 gauge enough to know he is comfortable with the recoil. Based on the parameters my fiends has given me I have narrowed my pump shotgun selections to the fallowing, I am also going to list some of the possible short comings of each shotgun and would like anyone offering their input to comment on weather or not these short comings or issues have merit or are just internet BS. I am listing these guns in no particular order of rating of preference, they are simply the guns I feel best fit his stated requirements. I also discussed at length with my friend about the option of buying used but he has no interest in doing so.

<>Remington 870 Express laminate 3" chamber 26" barrel. As I own 1- 3.5" 870 super mag express, 1-3" 870 Express, 1-11-87, and a 870 Wingmatser all of which have provided me decades and 1000s upon 1000s of rounds of problem free service I was going to recommend he buy a 12ga 3" laminated 870, but while doing my research I saw so many negative postings of 870 Express (as well as their flagship Wingmaster) produced since the Freedom Group acquired Big Green I am understandably hesitant to recommend a 870 Express. All my Remington shotguns were made prior to 2000 so I personally own no post acquisition Remingtons to compare to ones I bought prior to the sale.

<>Mossberg 12ga 3" chamber 26" barrel 500 series shotgun. Per my research other than being the least attractive of all the shotguns I am listing, I could find almost no proof of Mossberg's model 500 having any real issues with CC or anything approaching issues with reliability, but IMHO the 500 is as ugly as Rose O'Donnell at a 24hr ALL U CAN EAT BUFFET.

<>Winchester sxp fIELD 12ga 3" chamber 26" barrel. Although the majority of my research showed this to be a very good gun for the money, I found just enough negative postings about it to seek additional knowledgeable opinions of this gun, but I will admit all the problems I read about it occurred after many 1000s of rounds expended. I also felt of all the guns in my fiends price range that the SXP with wood stock and forearm to be hands down the best looking of the bunch. My friend is not concerned the SXP is made in Turkey. Unless someone can provide a solid reason not to buy, I feel the SXP is very good choice for starter shotgun. Lastly can anyone confirm or deny that the chokes that come with the SXP are poor performing?

<>Benelli Nova 12 gauge 3" chamber 26" barrel. Last but certainly not least is the well regarded Benelli Nova shotgun. This is given all the recent negative press about Remington, actually the pump shotgun I would most likely recommend above all others as the ONLY negative comment I have read is that extra barrels are costly, but I did a search for after market barrels and they now can be had OTC for well under $300, there not actual factory Benelli, but they are at least reasonable, and my fiend most likely will never need anything beyond a 26" barrel unless his son decides to start deer hunting.

So which do the shotgun Yodas think would be the best 12 gauge pump of the ones I listed, please first hand based advice only, please, please.

Thank you,
    Arthur.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another vote for Mossberg. Ive had mine since I was a teen, and no regrets. Its a great gun. The Remington is a little more, but Ive heard fit and finish is a little better. Either one he'll be happy.

Heck, I'm up to 3 now since I inherited my dad's collection. :): Ive got two 12s and a 20. They are getting passed down to my kids for their first scattergun.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I'm partial to 870's, having owned several, as well as Mossbergs, Winchesters, and other Remington shotguns. I do a lot of waterfowl hunting, as well as upland game and rabbit hunting. 870's are easy to use, reliable, and versatile. Make sure he gets a Rem choke barrel.

If if he is not planning on hunting geese or turkey however, I prefer 20 ga for a field gun. Lighter, mostly.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I like the 500 series well enough I bought three of them. One in each flavor,
    12, 20, and .410

They are all 100% reliable.

Don't discount the Maverick line for a budget buy.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Big fan of the 870. Get an older used Wingmaster and you'll be set. They made those things great. I picked one up that was made in 1974 at a gun show for $200. It is the smoothest pump shotgun I have ever fired.

The Mossberg 500 is also a quality pump.

Like Mgderf said, don't discount the Maverick line. I believe you can pick up one new for around $200. All the reports I have seen have been positive. Share many parts with the 500 which is more than proven.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just a word of caution on the Maverick. Someone please correct me if Im wrong, but the Maverick is a case of "you get what you pay for and nothing else; It is what it is." To make it cheaper they did things like use a different safety, and skipped features like drilling and tapping the receiver.

And here is the kicker: It is my understanding that the maverick will not accept any other barrels. (unlike the 500) So even though the receiver isnt drilled/tapped, you cant add the 500 rifled cantilever barrel to make it a scoped slug gun, or the 16 1/2" defensive barrel like you can a 500.

Now if you are OK with a gun that will never be anything but what it came out of the box as, then you are good to go and the Maverick is a nice gun that will bust clays and take small game just like a 500.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Personally I prefer the Mossberg and Benelli over the Remington, don't think I've seen that particular Winchester model so won't comment. I much prefer the location of the safety, tang and front of trigger guard beats rear of trigger guard hands down. For my own use I have a 500 12 ga 3" for HD, the 500's big brother the 835 for yotes and other larger game hunting, and a 20ga Nova for smaller game and clay targets. All have been very reliable and have gotten the job done.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I prefer the 870's. I like to accessorize and the Mossbergs or Remy's have plenty out there to customize it as desired. Plus, Police everywhere using the 870's are a great vote of confidence in the platform for me. :twocents:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd rather have a mossberg for home defense and duties like that, but if I wanted a good hunting shotgun I'd honestly prefer the Benelli...

Michael762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Centeral
    My post count isn't high enough to send a PM I guess so I will tell you here. I work at a pawn shop not to far from Upland and I handle the guns there if you and your friend are interested you guys can come on over and I can show you some good ones I have in that price range including Remington and Mossberg. I'm actually about to head there now

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Remington or the Mossberg, and buy used for your best value.

This.

Every gun store and pawn shop in existence has a rack full of old pump shotguns in good mechanical condition for $200 - $400. Pumps are very durable weapons, and nearly nobody shoots them enough to produce significant ware.

Was looking at a 20g defense gun recently, considering Winchester SXP and Mossy 500 ... then I found a lightly used 870 wing master with a factory defense barrel in the used rack at Midwest for $230.

Saved me $100 Vs. A new Turk made winchester built on a 12 receiver... better gun, less money.

On top of all that, bulk ammo is cheap online, so even a 16g (LOTS of lightly use models sitting on the market for very little money) can be run for relatively little money.

Zinga

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have owned both an 870 Wingmaster and a Nova. Both very nice guns. Would recommend the Nova based on how easy it breaks down for cleaning. A used Nova with extra factory choke tubes can be had for $300 or so.

brogers261990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Flora
    Most of my shotgun experience has been on the Remington 870/Wingmaster, though I have some Mossberg 500/590 experience. I would recommend these, as they are typically very durable, reliable, and cost efficient. Additionally, your friend and his kids will have plenty of options should they want to modify their shotgun(s).

Top Bottom