• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I got my AlienWare holsters today so I carried IWB for the first time. Since I got my LTCH all I've done is carry in the car when we've been going on long trips.

I was actually surprised how comfortable the holster was. I carried my 4.5" XD(M) in .45 and it was pretty comfortable. Under a hoodie it wasn't noticeable it all to my wife.

I am glad I have lost some weight in the last few months since changing jobs . . . I had plenty of room in the waistband of my khakis. The funny thing about it was that having the holster actually seemed to keep my pants up a little bit, whereas I was a bit worried about the extra weight on my belt pulling it down.

I was on the lookout for 'no guns' signs but didn't see any at all in the places we went in Columbus, which was interesting.

My summertime carry may have to be something smaller, not sure.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    Do not have fear of no guns signs as they carry no weight of the law. And don't forget first rule, all guns are always loaded. Don't carry empty please. Do not fear because carrying arms is a natural born RIGHT.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Congrats...been carrying myself for many'o'year, open and concealed for personal and work. It is not a paranoia thing, it is a sensibility thing. Keep it up, you and your family will be better for it. Just like fire extinguishers or parachutes; you hope to never need them.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    My first time was strange feeling.

Yes, I agree with that.

Do not have fear of no guns signs as they carry no weight of the law. And don't forget first rule, all guns are always loaded. Don't carry empty please. Do not fear because carrying arms is a natural born RIGHT.

Right, just don't want to make things awkward when out and about with the wife and kids. Refusing to leave would be trespassing in that situation, correct?

dcombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    Alexandria
    Yes, I agree with that.

Right, just don't want to make things awkward when out and about with the wife and kids. Refusing to leave would be trespassing in that situation, correct?

Im 51 and have been carrying since I was 20 , I think one of the most important things about cc or oc is , Practice and become comfortable and proficient , it should be automatic to arm yourself before going anywhere (the one time you don't could be the one time you should have) and Practice, practice , practice....

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Im 51 and have been carrying since I was 20 , I think one of the most important things about cc or oc is , Practice and become comfortable and proficient , it should be automatic to arm yourself before going anywhere (the one time you don't could be the one time you should have) and Practice, practice , practice....

I totally agree ^^^^^ I've always likened the comfort factor to being as at ease as wearing a watch or piece of jewelry. As the anxiety disappears it's really funny how hard it seemed to be initially. Your body language and the way you carry yourself will deter a lot of potential problems that you may not even be aware of.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Practice, get good training. Then practice. Then prepare yourself mentally. Then practice. Then work on heightening your situational awareness. Then practice. Then get more training. Then practice.

Then mentally prepare yourself, constantly. Daily. For as long as you wear that gun.

A LOT of folks think carrying a gun is easy. 'Just practice and get (relatively) proficient, then bad guys watch out!' Doesn't work like that. MOST people, even those that carry a gun daily, simply aren't mentally prepared to look down the sights of a gun and pull the trigger on another human being, regardless of need or justification.

Sane, sensible, and rational people have a strong distaste and natural aversion to shooting someone, irrespective of the situation. This is a GOOD thing.

One must overcome this aversion if one carries a gun. And, truthfully, it will be a constant mental 'struggle', as long as they carry a firearm.

MOST people don't believe this, presumably even most who carry, and most who interact on gun forums. They're simply wrong.

I sincerely, truly, and wholeheartedly hope you are never forced into a situation needing to overcome this aversion. No matter how 'righteous' the scenario is, no matter how well the situation works out in your favor, it'll change your life, mentally. Permanently.

That said, best of luck and best wishes on a wise decision, the decision to protect you and yours from the predators that choose to prey upon the weak and the law-abiding. May you never have that 'fateful' day.

Believe it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Congrats...been carrying myself for many'o'year, open and concealed for personal and work. It is not a paranoia thing, it is a sensibility thing. Keep it up, you and your family will be better for it. Just like fire extinguishers or parachutes; you hope to never need them.

I wholeheartedly disagree! I practiced landing for three weeks before I jumped and then did it for 7 more years. Parachutes should be used regularly.

BTW read and understand the instructions on your fire extinguisher.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Predators tend to prey mostly on the weak. I honestly believe that when a person is carrying, they tend to project confidence, making them a less likely target. However, should you become a target of a predator, just be sure that you are not seen as the aggressor. Your weapon is to be used in self defense. Should you be viewed as an aggressor, even if you are right in protecting yourself, you will become the focus for prosecutors.

May you never have to draw your weapon. :)

Deprime

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Hancock Co.
    Congrats!

Make sure to take into consideration your holster when shopping for pants/shorts.

Very uncomfortable wearing an IWB holster with pants that fit snugly or even properly without the holster.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I wholeheartedly disagree! I practiced landing for three weeks before I jumped and then did it for 7 more years. Parachutes should be used regularly.

BTW read and understand the instructions on your fire extinguisher.

It's fairly obvious the analogy is needing to use them to save your life. You can practice with fire extinguishers too; keeping one on hand to put out the kitchen if needed is another thing entirely just like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane for fun is different from hitting the silk because the a/c you're in is falling out of the sky...ergo the never NEED them part of the statement.

I have seen friends NEED a chute...I don't think they were having much fun at the time. "Hey one...you're on fire..."

dcombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    Alexandria
    Practice, get good training. Then practice. Then prepare yourself mentally. Then practice. Then work on heightening your situational awareness. Then practice. Then get more training. Then practice.

Then mentally prepare yourself, constantly. Daily. For as long as you wear that gun.

A LOT of folks think carrying a gun is easy. 'Just practice and get (relatively) proficient, then bad guys watch out!' Doesn't work like that. MOST people, even those that carry a gun daily, simply aren't mentally prepared to look down the sights of a gun and pull the trigger on another human being, regardless of need or justification.

Sane, sensible, and rational people have a strong distaste and natural aversion to shooting someone, irrespective of the situation. This is a GOOD thing.

One must overcome this aversion if one carries a gun. And, truthfully, it will be a constant mental 'struggle', as long as they carry a firearm.

MOST people don't believe this, presumably even most who carry, and most who interact on gun forums. They're simply wrong.

I sincerely, truly, and wholeheartedly hope you are never forced into a situation needing to overcome this aversion. No matter how 'righteous' the scenario is, no matter how well the situation works out in your favor, it'll change your life, mentally. Permanently.

That said, best of luck and best wishes on a wise decision, the decision to protect you and yours from the predators that choose to prey upon the weak and the law-abiding. May you never have that 'fateful' day.

Believe it.

VERY WELL PUT !!!!!!! Great advise

Top Bottom