First time Carrying! Warning: Semi-long and extremely boring read!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Good job, mbills. I felt the same way when I first started carrying. I carried concelaed for a coupe of month and then decided it was not worth it. I OC now all the time.

What struck me about your story is that I could have written that last Saturday night (and all the other times I'm out and OC) with the same result. No one notices an OC let alone the scrutiny it takes to determine CC.

Rep inbound and keep it up!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    And yet, it makes ya wonder WHY so many of those here on INGO have so many problems with the LEO's or at this restaurant or that store, doesn't it? :scratch:

Maybe because they readily seek out the confrontation? Maybe they actually WANT the unnecessary attention so they have something to complain about? :dunno:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Why do YOU openly carry ?? In another thread, you advocate openly carrying.

We (that OC) enjoy the attention that we receive from you. (hater)

It's because they OC. :):

Doubt it :)

People will NEVER get used to seeing guns on law abiding folks if people hide them and are too shy or embarrassed to let it be shown. Some people act like carrying a gun in the open is similar to having a big zit on their face!

@Modern Gunner

Looking for confrontation? Could say the same thing about CCers, they want to look like victims so they can confront a robber who thinks they are unarmed.

Agree 100% :)

After the last two days carrying concealed, I'm already wanting to take the plunge into the OC world.

Stop by my neck of the woods and we'll get your OC cherry popped. Maybe we can stop my Meijer :laugh:

Once you make the OC plunge, you'll realize that the average person does not notice ANYTHING going on around them.

This :)

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    The average person's situational awareness is lacking, thats for sure.
    Maybe I am paranoid, but I am always sizing folks up when I am out.

Johnny C, if your paranoid, we both are. I'm always looking to see what type of people are around me and who's carrying...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yay for you, OP. :yesway: :cool: Carry however you want to carry. I'm a big proponent of OC for a lot of reasons, but I can only speak for myself. JFC is more important that the O or the C.

I didn't start carrying for the attention. Good thing too, it doesn't work! :D
    I didn't start carrying for the attention, but I do OC so that it is seen by the populace as something ordinary people do.

And yet, it makes ya wonder WHY so many of those here on INGO have so many problems with the LEO's or at this restaurant or that store, doesn't it? :scratch:
    Actually, we've determined that it usually starts with a LEO with a burr up his ass and an inability to let the citizenry behave legally. I didn't think you were that new.

Maybe because they readily seek out the confrontation? Maybe they actually WANT the unnecessary attention so they have something to complain about? :dunno:
    How does quietly going about one's business qualify as seeking confrontation? Wouldn't the label be better applied to the party who initiated the confrontation?

I OC everywhere and hardly ever get any attention from the public... most not even a glance. People are very inattentive. If they don't notice a Glock 21 in a serpa holster, they aren't going to notice you printing slightly under a sweatshirt or jacket lol! Sure there was that one time that cop got got all over me, but I am still alive, and a little stress is good for you every now and then :D
    I like your style. I can't carry a full size Glock because short fingers affect my ability to maintain a good grip and sight picture after taking a shot, but if I could that's what I would carry. I settle for the 26 with a 17round mag in the Serpa. :D

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Doubt it :)

That darn paracord bracelet your wife made me certainly doesn't help make me inconspicuous when carrying. :rofl:

Stop by my neck of the woods and we'll get your OC cherry popped. Maybe we can stop my Meijer :laugh:

:): I don't wanna leave, but I don't wanna cover it up. :laugh:

If I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll give you a shout. We'll peruse the appliances.

Had me on the floor LMAO, good write up OP, I am waiting for my pink paper to start, and am already having similar thoughts going through my head.

Glad you caught (read "laughed at") some of the humor :):

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but I think sometimes folks who have been carrying awhile forget some of the thoughts, fears, etc. that many have the first time they carry. That was my main reason for posting this.

Yay for you, OP. :yesway: :cool: Carry however you want to carry. I'm a big proponent of OC for a lot of reasons, but I can only speak for myself. JFC is more important that the O or the C.

I didn't start carrying for the attention, but I do OC so that it is seen by the populace as something ordinary people do.

Thanks for the support! JFC indeed :)

Glad to hear a good story on carrying. You'll feel naked without it.

I've already started to experience that! :ingo:

Good job, mbills. I felt the same way when I first started carrying. I carried concelaed for a coupe of month and then decided it was not worth it. I OC now all the time.

What struck me about your story is that I could have written that last Saturday night (and all the other times I'm out and OC) with the same result. No one notices an OC let alone the scrutiny it takes to determine CC.

Rep inbound and keep it up!

Thanks for the support :yesway:

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    One tip if your starting is to get in the habit to NEVER touch your gun. Its a give away your carrying. What I mean by that is the compulsive "checking". You might press your arm against your gun, or even maybe touch it with your hand. Especially after something else touches your gun, or someone or something brushes up against it. If your carrying in a good holster, you don't have any worries about security (gun falling out). so, Resist all temptation to touch your gun. You can find studies on this in law enforcement. If someone is carrying a gun and is nervous they will usually touch or reference it in some way also people carrying firearms usually do something to reference it like every 60 seconds (could even be making sure your shirt is down over it - i.e. pulling down on the bottom of your shirt).

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If you're ever in the Indy area and want to OC somewhere, I'll OC with you - I'll even double OC [one firearm on each hip]. If you're really lucky I'll wear one on each hip, and a drop-leg... If you're out for attention I'll throw the AR-15 across the back.

I am fairly certain even though carrying 4 individual firearms is legal, I would get plenty of attention.

[Add purple where you see fit].

lrhochgesang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Jasper, IN
    As I too am I college kid legally carrying a firearm and currently CC, starting to dab in OC, I have learned from watching and from experience that confrontation and attention received by bystanders is mainly contributed by how you dress and carry yourself. If you dress like a respectable person(nice polo, button-up, cleaning fitting t-shirt, etc. and pants where they belong...NOT HALF WAY DOWN YOUR REAREND) most people will see you as a normal respectable person that is legally exercising their rights and doing so in a way that makes them look clean cut and professional.
    When OC, you don't want to have on pants hanging at your knees, shoes that are 3x too big, an XL shirt on a medium guy and a flat bill hat cocked to the side with a pistol tucked in the front of his pants, trying to act like an "Original Gangster".
    Basically, use common sense and dress the way your grandma would like for you to dress when you go to Bingo with her on Wednesday nights;)

CARRY ON!!

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Walk out of the store after making our purchases, again encountering the cataract infested greeter. Nothing but a good night from her. As we are walking to the car, I say, "Wow, that felt really weird."

Her reply, "What?"

"Carrying my gun in Walmart for the first time."

"You carried your gun in there? I didn't think that was allowed."

:facepalm: "I didn't see a sign."

Seemed like the encounter at Wal Mart was a a plea for attention.

mbills2223 said:
    I look down and see that my gun is actually showing.

"Oh no," I thought, "how long had this been showing? I wonder if the police are on their way."

I causally covered it back up, no police ever showed up. We finished off our meal, paid, and headed to the car to head home. Removed the XD and went off to bed.

I'm sure your comment about the police was made sarcastically, but nonetheless, still a bit odd.

:rolleyes:

Being hesitant/nervous that people might see it somehow indicates that I want people to know?

Why are you nervous about people knowing? It's a gun. That's all it is.

Also, I'm glad you decided to carry chambered. Nothing worse than dying because you can't get your weapon into battery fast enough.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

In what way? I never said anything about anything to ANYONE other than my girlfriend. Not exactly a plea for attention. I was concerned that someone WOULD notice it.

I'm sure your comment about the police was made sarcastically, but nonetheless, still a bit odd.

It's a joke, and it was put there to illustrate that I was uncomfortable my first time carrying and was worried that I would get unwanted attention.

Because I don't want the attention, whether positive or negative.

Also, I'm glad you decided to carry chambered. Nothing worse than dying because you can't get your weapon into battery fast enough.

Yes, carrying without a round chambered was to make me a little more comfortable the first time, but after about ten minutes it already made me feel vulnerable NOT having a round chambered. Will not make that mistake again.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Bah! I'm as pro-OC as anybody (hell, I admit I carry for attention), but I didn't see any of that in the OP's posts. I saw someone who was extremely self conscious about carrying and apprehensive about being called out, whether by sheeple or LE. I also saw someone who humorously employed many of the recurring themes of this forum int his post, poking fun at himself and LE.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Bah! I'm as pro-OC as anybody (hell, I admit I carry for attention), but I didn't see any of that in the OP's posts. I saw someone who was extremely self conscious about carrying and apprehensive about being called out, whether by sheeple or LE. I also saw someone who humorously employed many of the recurring themes of this forum int his post, poking fun at himself and LE.
    Y R U SO SAMRT?

Top Bottom