• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    This question may belong elsewhere but since it is a newbie thread it may be appilcable:

So USPSA and Steel Challenge had a baby - Rimfire Falling Steel. (What a blast!)
    I have only shot one very small USPSA match so near "0" experience with the maybe unwritten rules.
    How is the "viewing" of the stage handled? It seemed that at times several people where in the shooting area figuring out the stage and at other times competitors were lining up at the start spot and going through one by one to plan their run.
    I want to be courteous and fit in. Also, can you repeat your look-see? Is the squads viewing time somewhat determined by the RO and if your squad is running behind or ahead of the other squads?......
    Please advise.
    Walk throughs are allowed in Uspsa. There is generally a 5 minute time limit but it can vary match to match. Not all stages require 5 minutes.

After the shooting starts for the stage, the person on deck should be the only one allowed to rewalk the stage (at locals, AFTER THE STAGE IS RESET, you may see more than one walking but really should only be on deck shooter.) However, you can visualize your plan while others are shooting.

If you aren't shooting, on deck, or loading mags, you should be helping reset the stage

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Matches like that are great for training under stress.
    I did a carry match. Was the youngest by far. Most of the other guys had been to several before. Didn't get DQ'ed, and didn't do anything dumb. Placed 2nd to last, but had a fun time.
    Turns out, I'm right where I left off, or atleast close, from when I left the corps. I was happy with my performance. 50th out of 59, but I attributed that to a lot of rookie mistake. I forgot to shoot at a lot of targets. Lol I guess that would've got me killed irl..

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Turns out, I'm right where I left off, or atleast close, from when I left the corps. I was happy with my performance. 50th out of 59, but I attributed that to a lot of rookie mistake. I forgot to shoot at a lot of targets. Lol I guess that would've got me killed irl..
    Everyone has a plan, then the BEEP makes you forget that plan.Dont worry about placing and scoring that comes with experience. Get comfortable with the rules and commands and have fun. Watch others and you will pick up on things they're doing that work better than how you did it, or even see what not to do

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Everyone has a plan, then the BEEP makes you forget that plan.Dont worry about placing and scoring that comes with experience. Get comfortable with the rules and commands and have fun. Watch others and you will pick up on things they're doing that work better than how you did it, or even see what not to do
    That is the goal this year. I just couldn't help looking at how i compared to the others. I'm just too competitive to not look. lol

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Walk throughs are allowed in Uspsa. There is generally a 5 minute time limit but it can vary match to match. Not all stages require 5 minutes.

After the shooting starts for the stage, the person on deck should be the only one allowed to rewalk the stage (at locals, AFTER THE STAGE IS RESET, you may see more than one walking but really should only be on deck shooter.) However, you can visualize your plan while others are shooting.

If you aren't shooting, on deck, or loading mags, you should be helping reset the stage
    Most will arrive early to the match to walk stages and get a plan. Then consult with others. As you progress you'll need less time. Personally, I arrive an hour early. Nothing worse than driving all that way, hearing the beep and having no plan.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    Some shooters “mime” their whole run at the walkthrough. I just take a quick look at each shooting position to see if there’s any odd angles or leaning needed. Most of my planning before the stage is deciding where to do my reloads, and sometimes which order to engage if there’s an option.

Top Bottom