• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VoteRedTeam

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I'm new to the gun community and trying to decide what my first purchase will be. Wavered between .40 and 9mm but leaning towards 9mm for more affordable trips to the range. I really like the Springfield XDM but don't like the look of the 3.8 and thinking the 5.25 might be too big so thinking 4.5. I'm not looking forward to a $600 price tag, but think I'm stuck with it due to my bad timing in gun interest. Any tips from experienced folks on first-time gun purchases? Thanks.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    In todays market, I would go .40 because its the same price as 9 in every gun shop ive been in so far this craze. Might look at the glock to. My first handgun purchase was a glock 21. Couldnt ask for a better gun.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have the Xdm in 9mm, love it. but get what you can shoot the best and feels right. YOu might want to look at the Glock offerings as well.

And $600 is not a bad price in these times.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    This sounds crazy, but i paid 629 about a year and a half ago for my XDM subcompact .45. It came in a range case with all the springfield goodies. I just recently sold it for 600$ with a serpa level 2 holster included. This is a picture of it I took for the arms list ad. Anyways, I never had a problem with the gun even after 825+ rounds through the tube. I shall get another, maybe a different caliber....Moral of the story, I have found that guns do not depreciate like cars. :D

xdm_zpscfcf9242.jpg

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    What places have you looked to find one?
    I'm new to the gun community and trying to decide what my first purchase will be. Wavered between .40 and 9mm but leaning towards 9mm for more affordable trips to the range. I really like the Springfield XDM but don't like the look of the 3.8 and thinking the 5.25 might be too big so thinking 4.5. I'm not looking forward to a $600 price tag, but think I'm stuck with it due to my bad timing in gun interest. Any tips from experienced folks on first-time gun purchases? Thanks.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    yeah..this....you cant really go wrong with todays modern ammunition..just really comes down to personal preference
    In todays market, I would go .40 because its the same price as 9 in every gun shop ive been in so far this craze. Might look at the glock to. My first handgun purchase was a glock 21. Couldnt ask for a better gun.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    See if you can get a feel for the different sizes. While I would agree with you about the look of the 3.8, the truly best way for a new gun owner is to see which one weighs best in the hand and which one you grip better.

As far as the caliber, I was recently faced with a similar dilemma in that we already own a 9 and a .45, so for my next I was thinking about getting a .40. I went with another 9 strictly due to the cost difference in ammo. Of course, once the dust settles and panic buying slows who knows what the cost difference will be.

Either way, good luck with the XDM. Fine firearm, Springfield makes a good gun.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    I absolutley freaking love mine. Momma got it for me when I was 18 as my first carry piece when I worked for Blue Line Security. its had a few thousand rounds through it trouble free. Its very accurate and I even used it recently for my ILEA qualification. Indy Trading Post has a few XDM's for rent, 10 bucks plus cost of ammo. Come in and try one out if your in the south Indianapolis area.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I love my XDm 9 4.5. I just installed a Powder River Precision Ultimate Match trigger in mine (and I'm a noob) and had an INGO sponsor Cerakote the slide and install TFO night sights. This is the pistol my crew uses in 3-gun matches, and it's also our EDC now. With the trigger and sights, it's in a whole new ballpark.

Pics on this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._now_the_sweetest_thing_in_my_collection.html

roustabout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    portland oregon
    I now have xds 45. I love it. Easy to carry. Pretty accurate. very manageable recoil. I've had so many guns over the Years. You can get a bad gun in any brand. Find what you like feel of. You can afford. As long as it goes bang every time you pull the trigger and your happy its a good gun. I say 9 mm good round. 40 also good. I am a 45 guy. They all will do the job.

achilles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    + 1 for the XDm with 4.5 inch barrel. It was my first gun purchase (in 9mm) and I sold it to get the XDm in .45 ACP. Missed it so much, I sold the .45 to get another XDm in 9mm.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    You won't find many people that own an xdm saying bad about it. I've got an xdm 5.25 in .40. I LOVE it.

But you should definitely look at the s&w m&p, glock, Walther ppq, and obviously springer xdm lines. They're all equally reliable and good. Just pick the one that feels best to you.

As for size, it depends what you want to do with it. If you want to iwb carry, and you're a little person, the xdm 5.25 will be horrible for you. If you want to open carry, it's awesome. Pick the size that fits your application.

For caliber, if you haven't shot a 9 mm or .40 before, go shoot them first. Some people think its not a big difference until they actually shoot a .40. They are "snappy," and I LOVE .40. Some people can't handle the snappiness. A full size xdm holds 16+1 rounds of .40, so I wouldn't be worried about capacity. That should be PLENTY.

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    I have an XDM 9mm 3.8 compact as well as a XDM 45 3.8 compact and love them both... easy to carry and great shooters.. both are more accrate than I am. Overall, I like the 9mm for higher capacity and lower round count.
    Also picked up a gen4 Glock 19 and kinda like it a good bit too. But the Springfields fit my hand a little better.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Lots of good points made. I've raved about my xd(m) 4.5" in 9mm which had a trigger job done by SA. LOVE IT. But, a friend's M&P 9mm sure felt soft shooting. So go with what feels best and you shoot best. I just got a Sig P229 in .40, a great deal from my friend that I couldn't pass up, but I do wish it were also 9mm. Even being all metal the difference in recoil is noticeable.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Make sure to hold (and fire if possible) all of the main polymer pistols if you want to go that route. Don't go off looks alone. Smith, springer, glock, kahr, Walther, and hk all make great products. Pick whichever fits you best.

Top Bottom