• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LDisAwesome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Hi all,
    I am new to the forum and handguns. I've been researching online but would love first hand experience. I'm looking to purchase my first handgun and I want a .22lr since the ammo is so much less expensive I would actually be able to use it and enjoy shooting. I would love some suggestions on which gun I should purchase and where to purchase. There is a gun show coming up in my city soon, are they good to buy guns from? Any and all advice on .22 pistols would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Please check out hhrp.org, This fun match is a good place to see about every brand of 22 pistol and the later rifle match will be present, If there will be an opportunity to borrow and shoot the match, and a R.O. to help with the function and safety of the firearm. I'm afraid you've asked a baited question, you will get many good answers here but when it comes down to it the major brands make fine pieces and by the time you get to the 2nd page of this post everything will blur together
    4 March – Thursday
    Pistol: .22 Rimfire Silhouette Match, 20 rounds, 10 min., TQ12 target, any sights, 2-hand hold permitted.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Hi there!

Recommending a specific model without a little more information will be difficult. There's so many different options that we'd be spouting personal opinions without regard..

What all would you like to accomplish with this handgun?

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Assuming you're looking for a plinker. I've heard good things about the Browning Buckmark mentioned above, but I'm planning on pick up a Ruger 22/45 in the near future. You may look around at a used one too, but I like to get them new. Don't know that I can give out the name of where I got the price from, but a gun shop just outside Indy quoted me 413 for the 22/45 Hunter (Stainless), and the 22/45 Slabside for just 266 (not stainless). MSRP is 548 and 333 respectivly, so just makes sure you don't pay anything close to the MSRP. Also, never fired one, but the Beretta Neos seems well liked by its owners, not a pretty gun if you ask me. I've also hear that some of the screws can work themselves loose. You can search the threads here to find out more about that. I assume it's the sights shifting but don't know. Ruger 22/45 Rimfire Pistols U22 Neos Inox

LDisAwesome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    I'm looking for a semi auto that is in the $300-$400 price range. I mainly plan on just shooting it at the range. I'm looking for something that is safe and reliable

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, Semi-Auto pulls a lot of revolvers from the table. Are you looking to learn how to shoot defensively, or more for target & fun?

I'd throw the Colt Woodsman/Cadet/etc into the mix too, plus the sig mosquito and walther p22, but those would depend on what your end goal is..

LDisAwesome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    I would say my end goal is just to enjoy shooting. I would mainly be target shooting with the handgun for fun. I already own rifles and shotguns for hunting and such so the main goal is to start target shooting handguns for enjoyment. More as a hobby than for a self defense sort of thing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Based on your wants I would tell you to look in to a Browning BuckMark, Ruger 22/45, or a Walter p22
    Hope that helps, Best of luck!

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Also, never fired one, but the Beretta Neos seems well liked by its owners, not a pretty gun if you ask me. I've also hear that some of the screws can work themselves loose. You can search the threads here to find out more about that. I assume it's the sights shifting but don't know. Ruger 22/45 Rimfire Pistols U22 Neos Inox
    My wife has owned two of the U22's and it's an ok pistol. If you have hands like mine that are thick in the area between the thumb and forefinger you may have trouble with the grip, as the angle between the grip and the beavertail is fairly narrow. Another thing the U22 has in common with most semi-auto .22 pistols is that it's finicky about ammo. No matter which pistol you choose you may find that there is a particular brand or bullet weight that shoots perfectly, while another brand or weight will give you failures by the score.

Regardless, :welcome: to :ingo: and enjoy the firearm of your choice!

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    The sig 22 was my first and I think that is a good place to start. They make a really good gun. It feels nice. It doesnt feel cheap at all. I like it because, like you said, you can afford to go shoot it for an hour and not break the bank. If someone was robbing me, that wouldnt be the first gun I grab for, but its good for the range. Mobsters use would use the 22lr because it would not exit the other side of the body. It stays in and bounces around, so it could be effective for self defense, but a poorly placed shot could just **** someone off.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    get a revolver

I always recommend a single action revolver for beginners. It is my opinion that those who learn with one become better marksmen. The Ruger single six is in your price range, but if you're set on getting an auto, the Browning is a good choice.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    I really enjoyed my Ruger MK II. I had the bull barrel, which greatly contributed to balance and accuracy. Very affordable and well made firearm. I also like the Walther P22, but not as much as the MK II

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I have a ruger mkIII hunter. I highly recommend any of the Ruger MK series .22's. I am currently looking for a MKII or III used for fairly cheap as more of a knock around pistol cuz the hunter is just too darn pretty.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Out of all of the .22 pistols I own, the most "fun" out of the group is my walther P22. For some reason it just seems to get the most range time and is a pleasure to shoot. A browning buckmark is another outstanding choice.

As the others have mentioned, your needs/wants/personal taste may be very different than ours. I would recommend attending an event as mentioned above, and/or go try out a few different ones by either tagging along on a range trip, or by renting at a range (if available). See what you like and what fit's your style.

Plinking can be done with any of them. If however you are looking at this as a "transition gun" to get more into pistols and plan to jump into heavier calibers, I think the Walther or the Sig would be a good choice, as they are not as "target" designed as many of the other models, and they seem to mimic traditional semi-auto's more closely.

Just my :twocents:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark III, or S&W 22A.

All three have models available in your price range (actually, you can get the Smith for around $250), all three are fun to shoot, and all three are very accurate, much more so than the Sig or Walther options. In fact, since you like hunting, if you feel an urge to experience the challenge of small game handgun hunting, all three are plenty accurate for the task.

The Ruger is a PIA to field strip and reassemble until you get the hang of it. The other two are no problem.

I did like our Beretta Neos as a fun plinker, but it's not as accurate as any of the above. Still, if you just wanna kill cans, it's a very neat gun and I've got not problem recommending it for that purpose.

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I recomend going to a gun shop and find some thing that feels right and then check with someone who knows guns to find out if its a good choice. Go to a gun show and you can see hundreds of guns and compar .

Top Bottom