• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajlantz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Greenfield
    Hello all! I am looking to get my first firearm, a snubbie revolver. right now i am looking to get a ruger lcr. since this will be my first gun, i do not have many of the things that i will need, i am expecting to pay around 900-1000 for everything, (revolver, locking safe, holster, etc.) i am just looking for recommendations on things like the safe (i prefer keyless) holster (I do not plan on carrying often, but i may every now and then) and anything else that would be useful for me as a beginner. also comments about the lcr or other snubbies would be appreciated as i have not bought yet, but will be within the next month.

Thanks to all.
    Andrew

ajlantz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Greenfield
    Dave, that is one thing i have already planned on outside of this budget. I do fully intend on doing an NRA training course, i just have yet to pick out which one i will go with, any recommendations in the east-side of indy?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Welcome to :ingo:

Definitely figure on good professional training. :yesway:

ACT and IndyGunSafety are two that I feel comfortable recommending.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    If you want to do the NRA course, you can't go wrong with Indy Gun Safety. If you're looking for a keyless safe try looking at one of the options from GunVault

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    I took the NRA course from a great instructor. It is VERY basic and just didn't go deep enough. I am now going to take some one-on-one from ACT to address my specific weaknesses and needs. Mine have all been on the west side of Indy out toward Terre Haute.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Gun Safe

If you're only looking to own a single handgun, at least at this point, I would highly recommend GunVault products. They carry keyless models that are programmable 4-button models, as well as biometric (finger print I'm thinking...) models as well.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Others have chimed in about the the safe and training, so I'll give you my two cents on your other topics. The LCR is a nice revolver with an outstanding trigger pull. It's accurate and affordable. Another option you may want to look at are Smith and Wesson J Frames. I have two model 642's. They are smaller than the LCR and are therefore easier to conceal. The trigger pull is not nearly as good as the LCR, but I find I shoot as accurate with this as I do my Ruger. If you go to the right shop, you can walk out with a 642 around $390 brand-new. I carry both of these snubbies in a Desantis Nemasis pocket holster. Inexpensive holster that holds up very well.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    AJ,

I haven't handled the Ruger snubbie, but I recommend staying away from the super-lightweight small revolvers.

They're tempting when you handle them at the gun counter but they have horrendous recoil.

I'm a pretty hardcore pistolero (I routinely carry two big-bore N-frame Smiths) and I would never own one of the things.

Holsters are a personal choice with many styles (belt, ankle, shoulder, IWB, pocket, fanny pack). You may have to try a few before you decide. I've always had a thing for El Paso Saddlery.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    AJ,

I haven't handled the Ruger snubbie, but I recommend staying away from the super-lightweight small revolvers.

They're tempting when you handle them at the gun counter but they have horrendous recoil.

I'm a pretty hardcore pistolero (I routinely carry two big-bore N-frame Smiths) and I would never own one of the things.

Holsters are a personal choice with many styles (belt, ankle, shoulder, IWB, pocket, fanny pack). You may have to try a few before you decide. I've always had a thing for El Paso Saddlery.

Liberty Sanders is right about the super-lightweight revolvers having more recoil. I have a Taurus model 669 357 Magnum and it produces less recoil than a lightweight snub nosed 38 special. I hated shooting the 38 special. If I ever buy a 38 Special for myself it will be a stainless one.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Interesting that you should bring up recoil. I carried a Charter off duty for years, and just recently had it done in pink duracoat for the eldest daughter. My father in law recently acquired a 36 in Scandium, and wanted to try a few rounds on Christmas day. I swear, it had less recoil than my Charter! The point being, not all snubbies are created equal.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    If you are set on a small frame revolver the S&W Bodyguard would be worth a look. It's the size of the J-frames with a much better trigger. As others have pointed out you will get more recoil with a small frame. I have a Bodyguard but it is not my go to gun when I just want to go shooting. I use it as a carry gun only. I take it out once a month just to stay familiar with it. Ruger and S&W both make some really good medium frame revolvers that you might want to consider. Good luck with and welcome to gun ownership.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    The Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace grip is my carry gun. I really like it although have only owned it for 8 months. Trigger is excellent and the CT grip makes it easy to get on target quickly and accurately. Recoil with 38spl is nothing to worry about, but the 357 version might be a hand full.:twocents:

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    Is there any particular type of pistol (auto or revolver) that is perferred in a NRA training course?

Ones that go "BANG" every time .... Seriously, no, there was a wide variety at my training and the instructor had one of every flavor to show/loan. Most brought 9mm though ... not sure that is SOP.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    AJ,

beat me to it. i was directed towards a snub for my first. i ended up getting a S&W 642 and I really did not like shooting it at all. If you want a revolver, I would suggest getting one with a 4 inch barrel.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Dave, that is one thing i have already planned on outside of this budget. I do fully intend on doing an NRA training course, i just have yet to pick out which one i will go with, any recommendations in the east-side of indy?

If you want to do the NRA course, you can't go wrong with Indy Gun Safety. If you're looking for a keyless safe try looking at one of the options from GunVault

Indy Gun Safety in Fishers would be a good place to start. They offer the NRA basic pistol course, sell guns and handle the Gun Vault products.

Is there any particular type of pistol (auto or revolver) that is perferred in a NRA training course?

Simple answer is no. The NRA basic pistol course covers both revolvers and semi automatic pistols. Many courses even offer loaner guns.

Top Bottom