First time listening to NPR... disgusted.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What about ESPN sports radio? LOL!

I tossed it out some time ago...use the drive time now for unabridged "books on tape" or "books on some electronic device or medium...podcast, cd, tape, etc etc".

Common Sense was last week...no editorial commentary, no commercials.

I started disliking sports radio a long time ago. I love playing sports but my life got a lot better the day I realized all my time devoted to watching or listening to professional sports was being wasted.
    It's easier just to flip on NPR. I'd probably do podcasts or something if my truck would play my phone. Might have to splurge on a radio transmitter, though I've never come across one that works all that well.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by edporch I love how NPR has a show called "All Things Considered".

"One Side Considered" is a more accurate title.

Unless you actually watch it and then you realize they get opinions from both sides.

I did listen to it some years back when my old girlfriend used to listen to it.
    It came across as slanted to the left to me.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I mean you can laugh. Doesn't make it untrue.
    As someone else pointed out they sometimes come to the discussion with a pro-state point of view, but for the most part they do a good job. Far far better than anything fox or MSNBC could hope to do.
    But seriously give me a better program on the radio today and I'll gladly change.
    I suppose if you enjoy getting your own point of view shouted back at you by a loud parrot you wouldn't enjoy NPR.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Originally Posted by edporch I love how NPR has a show called "All Things Considered".

"One Side Considered" is a more accurate title.

I did listen to it some years back when my old girlfriend used to listen to it.
    It came across as slanted to the left to me.

Once in a blue moon NPR does cover both sides, but it's rare.

If I had to listen to public radio, I would choose CBC (Canadian). Sometimes weirder, but actually more broad-minded. IMO

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Once in a blue moon NPR does cover both sides, but it's rare.

If I had to listen to public radio, I would choose CBC (Canadian). Sometimes weirder, but actually more broad-minded. IMO

But NPR's covering of "both sides" is typically where they have one "side" being somebody on the left, then the "other side" is somebody not quite as far left, but bother are still left of center.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I used to listen to all kinds of politics on the radio but found that my job and family suffered because I was so upset with hearing that garbage everyday. I do agree it is good to know what the other side is thinking but it hurts to hear it

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    It's not clear if you're disgusted with NPR, or the specific program?
    I love NPR. Been a member since b4 I was born. Not perfect, but neither are you. To all those who like it, do you support it? It's worth it to not hear commercials shouted at you. They have commercials, but they call them 'endorsements' and are basically brief mission statements at the beginning or end of a program.

To another poster, Greg Garrison, not Garrison Keilor.
    Tried to listen, but gave up. He's a zealot with patriotic sounding military music (did he serve?). He thinks everyone else is a pinhead...

Last edited:

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    Many years ago my dad told me to listen to both sides of the topic before taking a position. Best advice I ever got. There is nothing I hate more than listening to a leftie or a rightie giving you an opinion that is nothing more than a one sided single dimension rant. My mother-in-law wouldn't think of listening to another viewpoint and consequently becomes a talking head for the same political position regardless of the topic. I listen to left leaning NPR in the mornings and switch to a right leaning source in the late afternoon. It consistently amazes me the way both sides spin the facts. But it does give me a more rounded perspective and sometimes gives me reason to shift my position or think about a topic differently.

If you think NPR is Left, I used to live in Chicago and would sometimes listen to 99.9 Progressive Radio. If you have the opportunity to check 99.9 out give it a try. NPR will then feel like a Tea Party convention. But realize that this is the other side of the fence, it's how the other side thinks. Take the opportunity to round out your thinking.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I enjoy it, what else am I supposed to listen to on the radio? They do interesting stories. I prefer learning, even if slightly liberally skewed, to limbaugh or hannity yelling about the same old **** day in and day out.

100% this. I have a 45 min drive to work each way and listen to a ton of NPR. Music gets old, too many commercials and obnoxious "personalities" on espn radio for my taste. They do lean left but it's not in your face and they do try to get voices in from both sides.

Top Bottom