• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well I bought a PSE kingfisher yesterday and went bowfishing for the first time today. Ive been pole fishing my whole life but this is something completely different.
    First shot was a really small carp and i went under him second shot was a bigger one at about 25 feet away and i got him! heres a pic right after i got him. I can get some better ones here in a bit.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I was under a mullberry tree so i stuck him as soon as he came up to suck up a berry so he was actually above the water a bit. But i think i am over compensating because my first and third shots which were at fish under water went low. I hope to try again tomorrow and get some more practice.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Congrats! Bowfishing is a lot of fun. Once you do it more you will understand where the fish is actually at in the water column. You're on the right track though, a lot of people starting out shoot over the fish. Just aim at the bottom of the belly and that should be about right for most carp you're going to shoot.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Thanks! it was quite a bit of fun. Trying to figure out the refraction and remembering that i am shooting a super heavy arrow are hard to do in the excitement lol but I think I should be able to get it right. heres some better pics of my fish.

I talked to a guy from DNR who said that without bowfishermen the carp problem would be a lot worse so hopefully it will catch on with more people and we can try and control the numbers a bit. After i get bills paid I am going to buy another tub reel and get one of our other bows set up for my dad. And then I have several friends that are wanting to try it. It will just be a drop in the bucket but we can do our part.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Went again today and got another one. Unfortunately after i stick one and he stirs the water up all the others scatter for a long time so i only got this one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Bowfishing is a great way to stay warmed up for deer season as well! I didn't go bowfishing tonight, but my friends and I caught 32 bass out of a couple different private lakes in southern Indiana. I just finished cleaning them all... but have an old ice cream bucket full of fillets after one night of fishing! Congrats on getting into bowfishing.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im hoping it will help with hitting small moving targets so i can bow hunt for small game this fall not sure if i am going to go for deer yet. Sounds like you guys had a good night on the water, i went pole fishin for a hour or two yesterday and caught a few cats and 2 drum. Also used that time to scout out some new bank for bowfishing.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bowfishing can be terrible practice for bowhunting, esp when using traditional gear.
    Very easy to get into the habit of snap shooting.

So..................don't snap shoot, make dang sure you don't.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Bowfishing can be terrible practice for bowhunting, esp when using traditional gear.
    Very easy to get into the habit of snap shooting.

So..................don't snap shoot, make dang sure you don't.

Yes, but i still think it is better than not picking up a bow from November to September, like many people do. I have found the best way to stay sharp for hunting is Bowfishing and 3D shoots.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Just went out to the river a little bit ago and shot a 10.8lb common. I think its safe to say i have another hobby. i'll post a piv of it in a bit

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    here it is

How do you go about cleaning and cooking them mrjarrell

That was actually covered in your other thread with a couple of links. They clean up like any other fish. Scale, gut, wash, cook and eat.

Has it ever occurred to you to eat them? They're a common item on Chinese menus in China. I ate plenty of them when I lived there, cooked a variety of ways.

Chinese Fried Carp recipe - All recipes UK

Sichuan Crispy-Fried Carp Recipe - Crispy Fried Carp | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook

Steamed carp recipe with spicy bean curd sauce | Red Online

A quick Google search will turn up hundreds of recipes for carp. I've always been partial to fish in brown sauce. Fried whole and served with that sauce? Yumm!

Fileting Fresh Carp - How to Filet and Cook Carp - Karpfen Preparation

Even shows up in German food. Americans are too damned picky and miss out of good stuff for bad reasons.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Whenever i get a smaller one out of clean water i may try eating one. These are coming from the mississinewa river which isn't the cleanest river in the world.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom