• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    My experience has been that all bottleneck rifle cases should be chamfered prior to seating the bullet, regardless of whether they have been trimmed or not.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Fantastic news guys! I took the AR out this morning with my first 20rds of reloads Ive ever done and all functioned 100% flawlessly. I guess planning, reading an question asking helped out:D. Cant wait to get my brass tumbler to get the cases clean and get the 1000+ cases I got loaded up. Thanks for all the help guys, greatly appreciated:ingo:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Something I suggest you do when first reloading a new caliber. Seat a bullet into a case that has no primer or powder. Then cycle it in your handgun/rifle 3 or so times. Just to make sure it chambers and extracts properly. It also gives you the opportunity to make sure the bullet is not setting into the case. I have seen a few people having problems chambering .223 rounds they have loaded, because the brass was not re-sized correctly.

I did infact do this with a coulpe of rounds, before I loaded up my first batch, just to make sure everything would work ok as far as case length goes

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Never is a bit strong. I've had some brass that just did not like seating flat base bullets even with a chamfer (fwiw I didn't think to mention chamfering since I assumed it had already been done as part of case prep, mea culpa for assuming).

For the OP, as I said in my original reply, as long as you are not crumpling the case neck, it is not needed. I concede that I should have made it more clear that it's not a common issue. The other posters are absolutely correct, the case mouth should be chamfered as part of case prep. I do it slightly for boattail bullets and more for flat base. I'm editing my posts to reflect this.

No prob, I got it figured out:D. I will be chamfering all cases from here on out:yesway:. Thanks for the help.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My load data was Sierra 55grSP Spitzer bullet 22gr Accurate2230. I think I will use this load for the rest of the brass I have for my AR plinking ammo. Also plan on loading up some 69gr Match stuff for my bench AR.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    I recommend the Lyman case prep center for doing big quantities like you have. I just did 2k .223 and it make case prep a breeze! It chamfers,deburs, pocket cleans and even takes out the military crimps if needed and cabelas is selling them for $99. Best money I spent.

You can use the hand tool but if you have the extra cash its a great investment.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I just loaded my first batch of .223 rounds as well. I chamfered all my cases, all it takes is a couple of turns with a hand chamfer. Using boat tail bullets I do not have to hold onto the bullets when seating them, and there is no need for a crimp.

I dont want this to sound like I am being mean but you are brand new to reloading so please be carefull with the advice you throw out so freely. I have seen you post alot of advice for fellow reloaders about topics that are brand new to you as well.

I will say that with good neck tension you can get away with no crimp for the lesser recoil rounds but it is my standard to lightly crimp any round that goes hunting or goes into a magazine. Plain and simple bullets get knocked around in mags and stuff happens.

USP please dont take this the wrong way but I have loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds well 5k of .223 and 3.5k of .45acp in the last 4 weeks. I still have reservations about giving advice on certain topics.

I learned from loading manuals and books written by people that know alot more about reloading than I surely ever will. Those same books are available for anyone to read.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I recommend the Lyman case prep center for doing big quantities like you have. I just did 2k .223 and it make case prep a breeze! It chamfers,deburs, pocket cleans and even takes out the military crimps if needed and cabelas is selling them for $99. Best money I spent.

You can use the hand tool but if you have the extra cash its a great investment.

Something like that would be sweet, it took me forever to get all my cases preped last night. But they are done and ready for a tumbler when I get one:D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I dont want this to sound like I am being mean but you are brand new to reloading so please be carefull with the advice you throw out so freely. I have seen you post alot of advice for fellow reloaders about topics that are brand new to you as well.

I will say that with good neck tension you can get away with no crimp for the lesser recoil rounds but it is my standard to lightly crimp any round that goes hunting or goes into a magazine. Plain and simple bullets get knocked around in mags and stuff happens.

USP please dont take this the wrong way but I have loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds well 5k of .223 and 3.5k of .45acp in the last 4 weeks. I still have reservations about giving advice on certain topics.

I learned from loading manuals and books written by people that know alot more about reloading than I surely ever will. Those same books are available for anyone to read.

I'm only expresing my experince. I never said not to crimp .223 rounds. I myself did not, but I tested for bullet set back as well.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I did not crimp my first 20. But There are just as many people to say do it as there is not to do it:dunno:. An I did check OAL on the rouds I loaded to make sure they were in spec an tried a few with out powder in them to see if they cycled ok. But for the rest of the brass I have Ill probably go ahead an get a crimp die and just go ahead an put a light crimp on them all. From everything I have gatherd it wont hurt anything to do them all.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    On the crimp you should remember if you are doing load development and find a combo that you like w/o a crimp and decide to take that same load hunting where you would normally crimp. That same load could change your POA or not have an effect at all.

I like to stick with the same everytime so there is never a doubt. For my own shooting I change enough from lot to lot on my ammo trying diffent things out. It would be easy to get confused even with proper notes.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    On the crimp you should remember if you are doing load development and find a combo that you like w/o a crimp and decide to take that same load hunting where you would normally crimp. That same load could change your POA or not have an effect at all.

I like to stick with the same everytime so there is never a doubt. For my own shooting I change enough from lot to lot on my ammo trying diffent things out. It would be easy to get confused even with proper notes.

Well I dont hunt, just target shoot. But yea I plan on trying a few things to see what works best. An I got a notebook with all my notes wrote down to help keep track of everything

Top Bottom