• ...and so much more!
  • nick112288

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2015
    Lawrenceburg
    Good morning everyone.

Just joined to ask a question and learn.

I am interested in doing my first ever SBR (can thank the new CZ Scorpion for that), and just moved to Indiana a year ago.

I live in Lawrenceburg, which is Dearborn County. I'm technically in Lawrenceburg Township so would that be the Sheriff I get to sign off on it, or the Lawrenceburg police? Also anyone in this area that has done this? Had any trouble with the police approving it?

This is my first, and I don't know if I'll do anymore, so as of right now a Trust isn't something I'm considering or wanting to do.

Thanks all for the info! I had OFCC when I lived in Ohio but was having trouble finding an equivalent sight for indiana laws/gun specific info, looks like I found it though!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Whoever would show up if you called 911 is where you go to get signed off. I'd recommend getting a trust, even if it's the only item you'll ever have. With a trust, you can add people so they can legally use the item without you being there.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Whoever would show up if you called 911 is where you go to get signed off. I'd recommend getting a trust, even if it's the only item you'll ever have. With a trust, you can add people so they can legally use the item without you being there.

:+1:

nick112288

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2015
    Lawrenceburg
    Well the reason I'm avoiding it now is because I just had a son and this is me and my wife's present to me (who knows the next time I'll be able to buy a gun haha), so unless the trust is REALLY cheap the price of the gun, plus the $200 tax plus the price of the stock (whenever that comes out) the trust might be too expensive for my gun fund.

Plus I saw they can be added later if I do decide to do another or a suppressor. Thank you for the suggestion though, I can definitely understand the advantage.

I did do a quick search for Lawrenceburg and Dearborn and didn't find anything from people around here. Might be a first on the site!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Well, a trust is typically $300 - $400. It would allow your wife to be able to travel with gun if she ever needed to also. Plus, you're right, you can add one later but you have to spend another $200 to transfer the SBR into the Trust later. So you're paying the ATF $400 in stamps for one item :dunno:

And lately, trusts have been getting approved in < 4 months on items.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Do the trust first.... Example.

Lets say you are at the range with your wife and have not pulled all of the firearms out of the car yet. You guys remember you left something at home so your wife hops in the car and drives home to get it. Since you forgot to remove the SBR first, your wife is now illegally in possession of an NFA item which is a felony and could cause her to loose her 2nd amendment rights for the rest of her life.

For less than 250 dollars you can start the trust and add your wife which makes married life w/ NFA items MUCH MUCH easier.

See my thread about getting a trust for contact info for someone who can set it up for you.

I have a suppressor that's not in a Trust, and its a real PITA sometimes to have to worry about possession. In hindsight a trust is a no brainer.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Do the trust first.... Example.

Lets say you are at the range with your wife and have not pulled all of the firearms out of the car yet. You guys remember you left something at home so your wife hops in the car and drives home to get it. Since you forgot to remove the SBR first, your wife is now illegally in possession of an NFA item which is a felony and could cause her to loose her 2nd amendment rights for the rest of her life.

For less than 250 dollars you can start the trust and add your wife which makes married life w/ NFA items MUCH MUCH easier.

See my thread about getting a trust for contact info for someone who can set it up for you.

I have a suppressor that's not in a Trust, and its a real PITA sometimes to have to worry about possession. In hindsight a trust is a no brainer.

QFT

I have a trust, it has been and ENORMOUS convenience to have a trust with my wife, brother, father all as additional trustees. My brother was able to break my suppressor out of NFA jail for me while I was working overseas. He could shoot it, give it to my wife or dad, and I hadn't even laid hands on it yet. I can leave a suppressed gun laying out at home with my wife because she is on the trust (no need to keep her access to it restricted).

IMHO, if you only have money to spend on the gun or the trust for right now spend the money on the trust and get the gun later.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    QFT

I have a trust, it has been and ENORMOUS convenience to have a trust with my wife, brother, father all as additional trustees. My brother was able to break my suppressor out of NFA jail for me while I was working overseas. He could shoot it, give it to my wife or dad, and I hadn't even laid hands on it yet. [STRIKE]I can leave a suppressed gun laying out at home with my wife because she is on the trust (no need to keep her access to it restricted).[/STRIKE]

IMHO, if you only have money to spend on the gun or the trust for right now spend the money on the trust and get the gun later.

That whole "wife having combo to safe makes her a felon unless I have a trust is bull crap." No one had ever been charged or convicted of having an unregistered NFA item because their spouse who owns it didn't lock it up. It's also illegal for a minor to be in possession of a handgun without their parents, so if you leave the house and your nightstand handgun isn't locked up, your kid is a felon? :rolleyes: That is just a scare-tactic from trust lawyers trying to get people to buy trusts. The wife in the car scenario is more plausible, but barely.

nick112288

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2015
    Lawrenceburg
    There are other firearms the wife is much more well versed on using, so I don't think her using this one is a concern. Also the range visit is kind of moot because I can walk out my back door and shoot.

I just see no point spending 300+ for a trust if I end up deciding to do no more NFA items. If I decide down the road to purchase or make more, it's worth it to me and I'll swallow that additional $200

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    There are other firearms the wife is much more well versed on using, so I don't think her using this one is a concern. Also the range visit is kind of moot because I can walk out my back door and shoot.

I just see no point spending 300+ for a trust if I end up deciding to do no more NFA items. If I decide down the road to purchase or make more, it's worth it to me and I'll swallow that additional $200

Its not 300 plus, its 250. And if you wait until you have more to start the trust, you will only have SOME in the trust and other not. If you pay 200 for the suppressors stamp now, when you create the trust you will have to REPAY the 200 to convert ownership to the trust.... You might as well start out w/ the trust.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Its not 300 plus, its 250. And if you wait until you have more to start the trust, you will only have SOME in the trust and other not. If you pay 200 for the suppressors stamp now, when you create the trust you will have to REPAY the 200 to convert ownership to the trust.... You might as well start out w/ the trust.

I think we're at the lead the horse to water thing...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I think we're at the lead the horse to water thing...

Agreed... But I really wish people would have tried this hard to convince me to go the trust route before I bought my suppressor the first time.... Because I would have already had the trust for this SBR, and I wouldn't have to pay an additional 200 at this point to convert the suppressor.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Understood. For me it was a no brainer since most of my children are old enough to be on the trust. My son isn't, but he's listed on the trust when I die.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That whole "wife having combo to safe makes her a felon unless I have a trust is bull crap." No one had ever been charged or convicted of having an unregistered NFA item because their spouse who owns it didn't lock it up. It's also illegal for a minor to be in possession of a handgun without their parents, so if you leave the house and your nightstand handgun isn't locked up, your kid is a felon? :rolleyes: That is just a scare-tactic from trust lawyers trying to get people to buy trusts. The wife in the car scenario is more plausible, but barely.

That may be, but why risk it? Either way, my mention of it is not a scare tactic. I leave my suppressed gun readily accessible to my wife so she can use it for varmints/pests if needed while I am away. And allowing her to shoot it outside of my presence MOST CERTAINLY would be considered an illegal transfer.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I highly suggest getting a Trust even if you are only going to get a single item. I like the fact I can name beneficiaries and co-trustees easily. Jennifer Foster is an Attorney who will do your Trust for $175 even though her website says $200. She is very knowledgeable about them. NFA Firearms Trust - JFLegalservices.com If you contact her please tell I sent you. She's a good friend.
    Dan

Top Bottom