• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ron

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Hi all,

I'm going to be moving out of state in a few months and wanted to sell two of my pistols. Having never done something like this before, I'm very clueless about the whole process.

For the people that have done this before,
    Where did you meet?
    Forms of payment?

Do I need to get a copy of the person's driver license or something?

I'm thinking about going up to the Indy 1500 this weekend and selling it there, I just want to be sure I'm not breaking any laws I don't know about or something of that nature.

Thanks!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    What are you selling?

All you need to do is look at there ID and make sure they are an Indiana resident and over 18.That is all that you are required to do by law.

Cash, cash cash

I have meet people from everywhere from my house to the parking lots.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    There is no registration on guns in IN.. Therefor you are good to sell it as long as the person is of age and the are a proper person (no felonys or they mention something about using it in a crime).. Having said all that, you dont need any paper work from them and they dont need any from you.. Alot of people write up a bill of sale just for peace of mind..

When I meet someone, I normally meet in a public parking lot.. Nothing illegal is going on so its all good..

ron

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    What are you selling?

All you need to do is look at there ID and make sure they are an Indiana resident and over 18.That is all that you are required to do by law.

Cash, cash cash

I have meet people from everywhere from my house to the parking lots.

I'm selling an HK45 and a Ruger MK. III.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Like IndyMonkey said you can meet almost anywhere (do not do it in a school parking lot) make sure they are at least 18. I make a sales receipt with some of their info so I have a paper trail to show I sold the gun. You never know who they may sell it to and what it could be used for. This way if you get a visit or call from the local police you can show them your sale receipt, then they can go visit that person.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have stated before, I ALWAYS require, an In. DL, and an In. LTCH.
    I always go somewhere, and copy doth DL, and LTCH, and write a reciept... This way if the firearm, EVER gets stolen, or used in a crime, I can show the reciept, and say, I sold that to so & so six months ago...:twocents:

Unoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I don't know where you folks think you're required by law to check for ID.
    It may be safe to cover your ass if you think someone is from another state or under 18.

But LAW says I have to prove my buyer is In state/of age is not a law.???

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Ron in my opinion the only way to really cya is to have a dealer do the transfer and run the buyer through NCIC. Yes it will cost a little something but in this day and age its worth it IMO.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I think this is pretty interesting. I don't yet have an adequate post count to try selling or trading on INGO, but have been thinking about this stuff a lot. For those who require a buyer to show a DL and LTCH (which seems to me at first thought to be a wise move)--would you do the same if you were simply trading firearms rather than selling one? It seems to me that the same issues would apply.

And what if you're BUYING a firearm privately? Would requesting these documents help protect you in some way if it were to turn out that the firearm had been stolen or used in a crime? It at least suggests that you tried to verify that the seller was not a criminal.

zekedageek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomington
    I too am interested in this from the buyer's perspective.. Once you've purchased the gun privately do you have to take it and have it 'registered'? It sounds like transfer of ownership is probably the safest bet, how does that work?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I too am interested in this from the buyer's perspective.. Once you've purchased the gun privately do you have to take it and have it 'registered'? It sounds like transfer of ownership is probably the safest bet, how does that work?

What you are describing doesn't exist for common guns.

Only in the minds of liberals and tooth fairys.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Bought one from an INGO member this week at a parking lot by I69. Knowing he was a member, and taking one look at him, I was happy that he was OK. Apparently he thought the same, because we introduced ourselves by proper names, I looked at the gun, good, gave him the cash, we shook hands, and that was that. As God intended. And by the way, Elaw, the .32 is awesome. Thanks.

Flitmob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    For what it is worth, I always get a BILL OF SALE when I sell a gun. However, many sellers do not require the same from me. I have a safe full of those print offs. It is also a cool way to keep track of what you sold and for how much. That way you always know...

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    What you are describing doesn't exist for common guns.

Only in the minds of liberals and tooth fairys.

So zeke is which? A liberal or a tooth fairy?

Or how about ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE who think that guns need registered in IN. I never knew there were so many liberals (or tooth fairies) in this state.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Leo In T -
    I honestly don't know if you could or not. I doubt (very seriously) that such a thing has been tried. Ask an FFL and they will likely roll over laughing (or be pretty incredulous in any case). They may indeed be able to do it I don't know. Let's take a common sense step back and look at what you are asking to do:

You want to buy a gun from a willing seller and get a bill of sale. Then you want to take the gun to some authority figure (an FFL) and have them "transfer it"....

What are you concerned will happen if you don't?

I will assume that you are concerned that the gun might have been used in some crime and that someone in the future might come up to you and question you about it??? How would they know that you have THAT gun? Maybe somehow they find out... so you are in possession of a gun that was used in the commission of a crime, right? You have a bill of sale, right? Does that not prove that you had no malicious intent? And the date that you bought it? (therefore - not your crime!!) Lastly, what if the gun was stolen??? Did you pay a reasonable market price for it? Was there anything about the seller that would lead you to believe that it was stolen property? If not, you are in the clear.

I fail to see what taking something to an FFL accomplishes... Does it somehow "bless" the transaction? <Eddie Murphy>Dominous Ominous This Gun Purchase be Allright</Eddie Murphy>

Please - I am not trying to make fun here - I just fail to see what taking it to an FFL accomplishes. You have a bill of sale. You may and probably should have a witness there. You had no bad intent. And no evidence that the seller had bad intent. So why make life hard?

If you still wish to get the deal "blessed" by an FFL, I humbly suggest that you go to a reputable FFL and buy new (or heck, used) guns there. Don't buy privately - you have neither the trust nor experience for that. You will be better off and so will the dude that sold it, or didn't sell it, to you.

Here's how it should go, in my opinion:

For the record, I - as a free American - met another free American earlier today. Happened to be in a parking lot in Bloomington - very public place where we would cause no concern. He's a reputable person, so am I. After all I was wearing an INGO hat. (grin). He had a gun that I wanted, I had cash that he wanted. We had a pleasant conversation. He had told me some things about the gun, I checked it out and after inspecting the gun, believe his statements to be correct. My wife was there, as was his wife/girlfriend (didn't ask). We swapped items and parted ways. If I screwed up, then I screwed up. That's called personal responsibility.

Had he asked to see my DL or my LTCH I would gladly have given him my information. He was courteous and reasonable. Neither of us felt any need to.

I have no doubt that the LCP will serve me well, and that my money will serve him well.
    Each of us leave feeling that maybe there ARE some cool people in the world and maybe there's a LITTLE hope for humanity...

And THAT is how business happens. Or it should... It did for me today.

Top Bottom