• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    To the OP:
    I have a Lyman just like yours, .50 Trade Rifle, percussion, Mine likes this load for targets out to around 50 yds: .490 lead ball, .015 Wonderlube patch, 60 gn. Goex FFFg powder. The gun is factory rated for 90 gn of FFg but you don't need that much velocity for target and fun shooting. If the targets are mostly further out (around 100 yds +) I increase powder to 75 gn. but this will require resetting the sights or remembering that it will shoot slightly higher due to the increased velocity.
    All good information stated previously. Easy to remove barrel due to hooked breach. Flush with hot soapy water (I prefer Murphy's Oil Soap) and use rod/jag with 2 patches to pump solution up and down barrel while holding nipple end in pan of soap solution. Don't forget to clean around nipple with an old tooth brush. Same for hammer. Let dry for a minute and protect bore with suitable anti-rust material (I'm partial to Ballistol). Let me know if you need any additional information.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    One last tip.

When you go to seat your ball. The way to make sure it’s all the way down is to throw the rod down the bore. If it bounces back up it is seated, if it doesn’t keep ramming.

otherwise, soapy bucket for cleaning.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    To the OP:
    I have a Lyman just like yours, .50 Trade Rifle, percussion, Mine likes this load for targets out to around 50 yds: .490 lead ball, .015 Wonderlube patch, 60 gn. Goex FFFg powder. The gun is factory rated for 90 gn of FFg but you don't need that much velocity for target and fun shooting. If the targets are mostly further out (around 100 yds +) I increase powder to 75 gn. but this will require resetting the sights or remembering that it will shoot slightly higher due to the increased velocity.
    All good information stated previously. Easy to remove barrel due to hooked breach. Flush with hot soapy water (I prefer Murphy's Oil Soap) and use rod/jag with 2 patches to pump solution up and down barrel while holding nipple end in pan of soap solution. Don't forget to clean around nipple with an old tooth brush. Same for hammer. Let dry for a minute and protect bore with suitable anti-rust material (I'm partial to Ballistol). Let me know if you need any additional information.

Nice! Thanks this is very helpful! Question already, the hooked breech... Does the "hook" part unscrew from the barrel? It looks like it does and it would make cleaning real easy. I know the nipple unscrews.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    No, do not unscrew. You may damage the gun trying to remove it. The factory made it that way to make it easier, for them, to bore and rifle the barrel . Another piece of information I can offer: Lyman makes a rear appature (peep) sight and a matching hooded front sight with interchangeable inserts. The rear comes with two different appatures, small for target and large for hunting. Obviously not in keeping with the time period but makes the rifle much more accurate. Depends on what you want to use it for. The sights are designed for the Trade Rifle and use existing holes and dove tail. Always clean shortly after using and keep the bore oiled, it will last a lifetime. I find using non-petroleum oil, mineral oil based products reduces fowling. Balistol, Wonderlube, or other BP specific products are all good. Cooking oil can be used in a pinch.
    Have fun.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've often thought of trying a muzzle loader and there's a lot of good advice in this thread. It does seem pretty maintenance intensive. What's the approximate "shoot time to clean time" ratio??

Well, that is a good question. Best practice by far is to clean it immediately when using real BP. Back in my younger years I once forget to clean a musket I had for almost 6 months, I was shocked when I found it still dirty and cleaned it to find no rust at all. I stored it at my mom's house and she kept her place nice and dry back then. I got lucky on that one. Not really maintenance intensive, but you do need to wash the fouling out with water or wet patches, dry that water out, plug the flint vent or nipple and spray a little WD-40 down the barrel and clean it out real good (I actually don't do the WD-40 part with my flat breech flinter) and wipe down the exterior. Much the same steps as any firearm.

Top Bottom