First time to Atterbury with friends - and first range trip with Girlfriend's oldest

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tigergixxer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Sheridan
    I've been looking forward to today. I'm going to Atterbury for the first time and meeting up with some friends from work to go shooting. That's fun enough on its own. The really exciting part is my girlfriend's oldest daughter is coming along. She's a mature 14 (thank God!) and as soon as I talked about me going she literally ran to see if it was ok with her mom for her to come along. She got the go ahead and now I get to have some David and Melissa time!

I really feel fortunate to be able to do this and take her along. Her dad, basically a douche that moved to another state to be with a girl he knew for a.... we'll just leave it that he sucks, had promised her multiple times to go out with his shotgun over the years. Just like everything else he never followed through.

I'm excited and nervous. I want it to be a great experience for her, and I know she will enjoy it. It's the dad part of me that worries a little about random uncontrollable events.

Any tips/hints from the mom's and dad's out there that have taken their 'little ones' to the range? We'll be there about 1pm today, so if you're out, say hi to the guy in a black MotoGP shirt.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I will be there between 2:30 and 3 with citronman1980 and some of his family. Has your daughter shot guns at all before? Obviously safety is first. Keep reminding and teaching safety. Keep it fun!!!!! If shes not hitting the target, don't beat yourself up over it. Stay calm and try to work with her. As long as it stays fun, she will want to come back. And kudos to you for stepping up and doing stuff with her.

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    good luck

i hope it is safe and a positive experience.but since the new range was built and the range nazis took over i doubt it will be very fun,try to take those targets like orange peel with you. keep the loads light and i find my kids like it best when i just let them shoot and i watch make it about them and only point out safety issues and maybe do some shooting after they have their fill.

Tigergixxer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Sheridan
    @HamsterStyle -
    Thanks. We may see you there, which would be nice. She has not shot guns before. As long as she can keep it down range, be safe, and have fun, I'm not too concerned about how well she shoots. That will come with practice - so long as she enjoys it enough to want to go back.

@clydesdale -
    They do have a number of rules. The last time I shot my handgun was at Don's on 38th/Lafayette road. That was total grab-a**. After that I will take a little strict over nothing. I hope it's still fun. It's been a while since I fired my handguns. I want to make sure they cycle ok and show her how it works, but I do plan on her doing a lot of shooting. I am bringing my Neos 22 and AR15 w/ 22 conversion in it. That way we can shoot almost indefinitely without running out (2 bricks of 22lr in my bag).

**I will also be bringing my SA XD 357Sig Service

Last edited:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Once I get down there, I will have a pump action .22 and a bolt action .22. You could possibly borrow one of those as well if the ar is intimidating at all.

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    :yesway: on the neos my kids love my neos went through a brick last time they went to range and that was loading clips with 5 rounds.i dont think atterbury will alow it but spinners are fun as hell, lots of good clubs to join for better shooting

Tigergixxer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Sheridan
    @HamsterStyle -
    Thanks for the offer. We'll see how she does - I may need to take you up on that! Likewise, if you would like to fire the AR I think we can do that too.

@clydesdale -
    The Neos is a fun gun. My girlfriend liked that one a lot more than the XD. Spinners are also great fun, but I don't think they are allowed either.

Do either of you know of/have experience with ranges/clubs in the Sheridan area (north of Indy)? I know Wyatt's in Cicero is working on one and they are only 15-20 away. I'm willing to drive a ways, but I would like to find something closer than 1.5 hours each way. I'm not opposed to a membership so long as I can use the range fairly easily on the weekends. I work downtown Indy and don't get out of the office until 4:30, so it makes it hard to go anywhere during the week unless they have later hours.

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    clubs north of town

sorry i dont i live real close to danville conservation club,was the logical choice for me.

Tigergixxer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Sheridan
    Danville has very reasonable rules and, from their website, it looks like a nice place to go. It's about an hour from my house, but that is still closer than Atterbury, and they have Sunday hours too, which is nice. How is the range? Do you like it there? How hard is it to get in and shoot on the weekends?

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    @HamsterStyle -
    Thanks for the offer. We'll see how she does - I may need to take you up on that! Likewise, if you would like to fire the AR I think we can do that too.

@clydesdale -
    The Neos is a fun gun. My girlfriend liked that one a lot more than the XD. Spinners are also great fun, but I don't think they are allowed either.

Do either of you know of/have experience with ranges/clubs in the Sheridan area (north of Indy)? I know Wyatt's in Cicero is working on one and they are only 15-20 away. I'm willing to drive a ways, but I would like to find something closer than 1.5 hours each way. I'm not opposed to a membership so long as I can use the range fairly easily on the weekends. I work downtown Indy and don't get out of the office until 4:30, so it makes it hard to go anywhere during the week unless they have later hours.
    there's hamilton county fish and game off 206th st. and st rt. 19 (in that area)

HCFG.com I think

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I may, be there today also. I will, be in a blue shirt, with a digital camouflage hat. If I do go. I'm, going to take my 10/22 and Buckmark.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN

i'm from Noblesville/Westfield area. You might check out the Atlanta CC as well. Nice place. Just not a lot of long yardage (yet, from what they say it's coming :dunno:)

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Danville has very reasonable rules and, from their website, it looks like a nice place to go. It's about an hour from my house, but that is still closer than Atterbury, and they have Sunday hours too, which is nice. How is the range? Do you like it there? How hard is it to get in and shoot on the weekends?
    Eight shooting positions i've only had to wait on rifles position just before hunting season. I like it there.Sunday compressed hours but not really a problem.they do have sillouette shooting on some saturdays have to check the schedule may be a problem for you.

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

Don't know the travel time for you ... but my wife and I went to J.E.Roush Lake (aka Huntington Lake) ... granted we're 3 minutes off of 69 at exit 10 - but if it took more than an hour to get there I would be surprised ... This is like a small size of the new Atterbury Range ... 33 lanes total ranges from 7 to 100 yards. AND only $4 PER DAY for adults ...

:twocents:

Top Bottom