First time to carry in public (Do you remember yours?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    I'm 50 years old, and a new handgun owner. I'm taking my cat to the vet Thurs. morning; thinking this simple errand would be a good first exercise in public carry. My new Sig P250 holstered on my belt and (hopefully) discreet under my shirt.

What did some of you do to warm up to having a gun on your person in public?

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I'm 50 years old, and a new handgun owner. I'm taking my cat to the vet Thurs. morning; thinking this simple errand would be a good first exercise in public carry. My new Sig P250 holstered on my belt and (hopefully) discreet under my shirt.

What did some of you do to warm up to having a gun on your person in public?

Do you have your LTCH yet?

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I remember the first time I carried, I was convinced EVERYBODY knew I had a gun and that it was so obvious. In himdsight, I'm quite sure nobody noticed. I was carrying a big gun (92FS) for my 5-9 frame as it was the only pistol I had at the time. I've since downsized to a more comfortable option and sometimes forget it's there, figuratively speaking of course.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The very first time I carried,my wife and I went to MC Sports to look for an IWB holster(don't buy the Uncle Mike's IWB,they suck).At the door my wife,in an almost spiteful tone(she didn't see the point in carrying a gun),looked at me and said "Better go back to the car" as she pointed to the sign stating that all firearms or bows coming into the store need to be cased and unloaded.

I read the sign and,almost as spitefully,told her to read the bottom that stated that this did not apply to people who were legally carrying a gun for personal protection,open or concealed.

I've always respected MC for that sign and it's why I still give them my business.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I felt pretty nervous, somewhat self-conscious, and convinced everyone around me knew I was packing, and was staring at me. Over time I relaxed and eventually came to not give a damn whether anyone knew or not (even cops). And though I and the majority of us are CC'ers, we all need to "lose our virginity" and OC at least once or twice. After realizing that most people either don't care or are too timid to say anything, CCing becomes nothing after that as far as personal comfort.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I don't remember. That was over 15 years ago.

Now OCing OWB on purpose was only a few years ago. I do remember that. IHOP, Dick's then WalMart. Thought everybody was watching.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...What did some of you do to warm up to having a gun on your person in public?
    Loaded gun, put gun in holster, finished getting dressed, left the house carrying an 8.375" Mdl. 29.

It's not 'what' you carry, it's 'how' you carry. I've carried sidearms I was told by 'knowledgeable' gun folks that were 'impossible' to carry without 'anyone' knowing. And especially, without 'them' knowing 'cause they were VERY observant and could 'print' ANYONE 'immediately', especially something as 'big and cumbersome' as a 8+" S&W!

Then, standing directly in front of them, I slowly (you know, for 'dramatic impact', LOL!) opened my windbreaker.

It's not 'what' you carry, it's 'how' you carry.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Got it last year; I've taken my sweet time actually buying my first pistol.

Congrats on both.

I believe my first time OC was, as JetGirl put it, the Walmart rite of passage walk, with my G19. I carried it for a while OC in a blackhawk serpa and after a month or so went to CC with an Alien Gear hybrid IWB holster. Couldn't get used to it IWB, so I switched a couple of months ago to an M&P Shield, carried in a little leather tuck holster I got from Safariland at the NRA convention. It's very comfortable and I now carry all the time (except for at work, where it's prohibited).

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I remember being self conscious about carrying the first time or two, but now I'm pretty sure most people have no situational awareness. I carry a full size M&P .45 in a blackhawk Serpa.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've been carrying since about 1998. I remember being nervous, but not where I went. After 15/16+ years, the only thing I know for sure is that if you're carrying concealed, probably 99% of everyone around you is clueless. Americans don't pay attention to the behavior or appearance of others unless those others are causing a disturbance.

I did have one funny exchange with a convenience store clerk about another customer who was concealing very poorly, but I would expect people in that line of work to be hyper-vigilant.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Walked from my house to the gas station... carrying a fullsized 45, concealed in a Galco Kingtuck. It was October so I had a coat on, which helped. But I still felt like I had a 5 ft poll sticking out of my side where my grip was. No one noticed, and if they did, no one cared.

I had the same feeling of anxiety once it started to warm up and I switched from carrying my 4566 to my much smaller CM9 in just a t-shirt. It went away quickly.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    first time I carried was 23 years ago and I carried an AMT back up in my pocket. I touched it all the time to make sure it was still there.

Top Bottom